Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Run Dublin 2014

Options
  • 23-03-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

A bit disappointing. There is no way that was 5k - just over 3.5 k at the most !! Not chipped either. At over 47 euro to enter its a bit of a rip off. I'm glad I was in the second wave or I could have been queuing for an hour to get started. But -Great atmosphere. Did I enjoy it - of course I did, at the time. But on reflection too much money for such sloppiness about the distance. No need for it just call it a two mile fun run , charge 20 quid and be done with it. !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Right So wrote: »
    A bit disappointing. There is no way that was 5k - just over 3.5 k at the most !! Not chipped either. At over 47 euro to enter its a bit of a rip off. I'm glad I was in the second wave or I could have been queuing for an hour to get started. But -Great atmosphere. Did I enjoy it - of course I did, at the time. But on reflection too much money for such sloppiness about the distance. No need for it just call it a two mile fun run , charge 20 quid and be done with it. !

Not sure what you might have expected here. I wouldn't have thought there would have been any consideration to getting the distance correct or that timing would be important. It was hardly a race and was it even a running event? I am just amazed that there are so many people happy to sign up to this sort of cash cow tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Looking at the website, the Irish Cancer Society are the charity alright but they mention that the ICS will be in touch with you about fundraising and how it is an option for each entrant to raise money - i'm paraphrasing this.

So I would wonder how much the charity got from this as they seem to be a company that run such events worldwide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

it was for the Irish cancer society so i would have paid more for it.

Only if you specificaly enter for the Irish Cancer Society
    http://electricrun.ie/dublin/charity/#ff_s=ePNyn

You can of course raise money if you want but anyone that 'sponsors' you to do this would have to be crazy. Getting sponsored for things is supposed to be for something that takes you well out of your comfort zone etc...not for dancing around with f*cking glowsticks.

Noble reason for doing an event maybe but surely you could have just given the entry fee money directly to the ICS or maybe you did give them the extra you were willing to pay. It is a commercial venture that is benefiting and good luck to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Another way they fool you into paying big money for such an event and it really bugs me how these events push the charity angle. I doubt very much of your entrance fee went to ICS, maybe Electric run make a small donation to the charity after they have made sure they have cleared a large profit for themselves. That's how these things work...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

Absolute rip off. Course was 3.6KM couldn't run consistently due to big groups of walkers / stragglers.

Don't have a problem of what is was just don't market it as a 5K run when really it was a walking party.

They really did struggle for the space to make the 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Also disappointed... Standing in cold for 50mins before I got to top at start line and I was there a half hour before advertised start time. Shouldn't have been advertised as a 5k. Also ground very uneven in dark parts particularly in first half... Saw good few people with ankle injuries. Badly organised and not worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Right So

Goodness - I'm not saying if wasn't fun! I had a great time. But I begrudge the 4.65 admin fee! Don't mind them making a few quid, after expenses. Of course for charity is prefect. Most of the runs these days are raising funds for something. But why say its a 5 k when it was clearly not!! They should have specified that. I would still have gone. I feel like they took all the profit and didn't put in the hard work that goes into organising a run trail, as advertised - don't forget. I've been to many runs. They just put it all their energy and money into appearance and the music - - which of course were all brilliant!! I won't take that away from them!

Did any of you enter via the charity route? If not ICS got nothing...would question how much they'd have got through the chariy route anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

I was disappointed.
    The start was great fun with the banging tunes and jumping about.....but standing there for 45 mins got a bit cold and the waves of 50 people at a time were a bit of joke!
    The course definitely wasn't 5km but no big deal. There were a lot of bottle necks!
    I could not see a lot of the course, I'm surprised I didn't injure myself!
    I expected all the walkers and people stopping for photos so no surprise there.

I won't be doing it again!
    Had one of the best hot showers ever when I got home though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

...not for dancing around with f*cking glowsticks.

:D

Was it a race or rave ?

ElectricRun_RuthMedjber-1.jpg

(from Broadsheet.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Right So

Ah it was defo a Rave! For sure ! I don't know why I'm so whinny!! Brilliant photo of ye're gang - well done ladies!!

Right So wrote: »
    Ah it was defo a Rave! For sure ! I don't know why I'm so whinny!! Brilliant photo of ye're gang - well done ladies!!

Begs the question as to how this even ends up in an 'Athletics & Running Events' Forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

ThisRegard wrote: »
    :D

Was it a race or rave ?

(from Broadsheet.ie)

There were definitely a few cheeky nagans in some water bottles :D

Yee can do this next

http://rainbowrun.ie/
    Colour Powder - 5 Pack
    Make sure you get extra colourful and messy at The Rainbow Run by purchasing a 5-pack of extra colour powder. When these are purchased you must show your PDF ticket as proof of purchase at the event registration tent and check-in staff will give you your extra packs. With your Rainbow Run event ticket you do already receive 1 colour powder pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Christ, 20 euro early bird. It makes me sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Things are taking a turn for the worst!!!

Can we not turn up with paint guns and shoot people as they go by?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The Rainbow Run also focuses on giving back, so a portion of ticket sales will be donated to a charity of our choice.

mmm zero's a portion I guess.

Will the powdered colour damage me? Will I be hurt?

No, it is not dangerous at all; it is like being in a fun colourful flour fight! We are 100% sure that you will not be hurt; all our staff are trained to throw colour powder playfully!
    s there a drop off bag area?

Unfortunately not, due to safety regulations we can not provide the space needed for a drop off bag area!
    Can spectators attend the post-race party?

Absolutely. We will have additional colour powder packets available first come/first serve for everyone to purchase at the finish of the run. Its going to get messy and there will be a lot of colour bombing going on so tell everyone to wear something appropriate!!

In fairness they are saying it's not timed etc and marketing it as a 'fun event' so...

In fairness they are saying it's not timed etc and marketing it as a 'fun event' so...

What you mean? No mats at the start or the finish? ...and can someone tell me what's the difference between paint gun time and chip time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Between rainbow runs , electric runs ,night runs , rock and rolls, pretend charity donations , inflated prices , sounds like the madness that usually precedes the end of a boom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

This might be of interest - Motions put forward for next months Athletic Ireland Congress. I haven't heard yet if they have made it to the list of motions to be put to Congress. I initiated them, and will be proposing them:

That AI shall draw up additional Licence Application regulations and provisions, covering applications for, or on behalf of:
    a) Charities
    b) Commercial entities
    c) Non-AI bodies, including other sporting bodies

That AI amend the Licence Application system, to require, where an event is being organised by a non-AI body, disclosure of the entity’s identity. [The non-AI body shall, where relevant, undertake to comply with the requirements of the Companies act 1963 and The European Communities (Companies) (Amendment) Regulations 2007.]

That AI amend the Licence Application system, to require, where an event is being organised by a non-AI body, as a fundraiser for charity, or other charitable cause, that the consent of the relevant charity shall, prior to the AI Licence application, have been granted to the event organiser, and details of the agreed charitable donation shall be disclosed. If no donation is being made, and/or a fee or charge is payable by the charity, this shall be disclosed.

The intention is to bring more clarity to permits. I think - hope :o - that they are clear and will be accepted. Imho, there is a clear need for them. They will *NOT* solve things, but I hope will go someway towards making fundraising and commercial events more transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Excellent work Condo, good to see someone fighting the good fight!

This is doing the rounds on Facebook, with suggestions that not a lot of money reached the charity.

Have no idea if the claim is valid mind, don't see the story in any broadsheets.

http://www.evoke.ie/fun-run-raises-up-to-e250k-but-only-e12k-goes-to-cancer-charity-as-organiser-says-it-a-commercial-event/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

don't see the story in any broadsheets.

That doesn't mean a lot these days.

It's from yesterdays (the 30th of March) Mail on Sunday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It also was in the Irish Mail on Sunday (I don't read it but I found this)

1978683_512243748886471_1078301458_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This is doing the rounds on Facebook, with suggestions that not a lot of money reached the charity.

Have no idea if the claim is valid mind, don't see the story in any broadsheets.

http://www.evoke.ie/fun-run-raises-up-to-e250k-but-only-e12k-goes-to-cancer-charity-as-organiser-says-it-a-commercial-event/
    Think I recognize the name of the author of that piece. Seems to be someone who frequents these parts.

Advertisement