Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re pears...

Options
  • 23-03-2014 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I have access to quite a few kilograms of pears. Is it possible to make a drinkable cider out of them using a fermenter, and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I don't know. I do know that perry pears are different from dessert pears and that the latter aren't really suitable for making perry.

To turn pears into perry you'll need to pulverise them, press them and then ferment the juice. It's a lot of work, but it's doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Thanks, BeerNut.

I think I'll give it a go. Any tips / advice would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I did this a while ago. Have a search in the forum. Pretty sure I documented it well. It turned out great.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Wedgie

Thanks, Khannie.

I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No worries. If you have any trouble, shout. I remember having to add some acid to balance the ph.

• Advertisement
Advertisement