Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought a new jacket: Already leaking

• 23-03-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

I bought a new jacket from a reputable shop a few weeks back. It's a Buffalo Edurance jacket. It's big selling point to me was the waterproofing. It even has stitched into it Waterproof.

So I rang the shop last week letting them know. They said that Buffalo are a cheap jacket and I should of spend another hundred euro and bought a more expensive one.

What do you guys think? I would really like my money back.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

How long of a spin till it starts leaking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Hi guys

I bought a new jacket from a reputable shop a few weeks back. It's a Buffalo Edurance jacket. It's big selling point to me was the waterproofing. It even has stitched into it Waterproof.

So I rang the shop last week letting them know. They said that Buffalo are a cheap jacket and I should of spend another hundred euro and bought a more expensive one.

It doesn't matter if you paid 1 euro for the jacket. If it says waterproof then it shouldn't leak.
    Get your money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Hi guys

Why are they selling them so?
    So what they are saying is they know these jackets aren't waterproof but they have no problem selling not as described items.
    Don't settle for that!

It doesn't matter if you paid 1 euro for the jacket. If it says waterproof then it shouldn't leak.
    Get your money back.

Not really, there are waterproof ratings. if the rating is low it will not be good in heavy rain or prolonged use in the wet.

Having said that though i think the op may have a case as he said the waterproofing was a big selling point. defo worth a trip back to the shop to see the manager

aaakev wrote: »
    Not really, there are waterproof ratings. if the rating is low it will not be good in heavy rain or prolonged use in the wet.

Having said that though i think the op may have a case as he said the waterproofing was a big selling point. defo worth a trip back to the shop to see the manager

Buffalo claim 100% waterproof rating for this jacket.
    The shops reply to the OP is poor customer service.
    They could at least get the jacket tested for a flaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely bring it back.

blade1 wrote: »
    Buffalo claim 100% waterproof rating for this jacket.
    The shops reply to the OP is poor customer service.
    They could at least get the jacket tested for a flaw.

Well in that case defo bring it back!

aaakev wrote: »
    Well in that case defo bring it back!

I wouldn't expect any jacket to fully keep out heavy rain on a long journey but the attitude of some shops piss me off!

Once they have your money they don't want to know after that.
    Their answer to the solution "spend another €100"

Gives the decent fella's trying to run a business, a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Deffo get it back and if you want to spend another €100 do it in a different shop. Name and shame aswell mate....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Unless you buy Rukka or Halvarssons then any jacket is only 'waterproof-ish'. I'm on my fifth brand in an effort to find a decent affordable rain resistant jacket and I just spent €1000 on a Dainese suit which lets rain in at the shoulders. I ride in all weather and two hours of driving west-of-Ireland downpour will get water into anything. Having owned (briefly) a Buffallo jacket I can confirm that you bought a jacket with stitching that says 'waterproof' on it - this probably means that one of the pockets is waterproof, not the whole jacket. Stitching is the one thing that makes a jacket not waterproof...

The shop that sold it to you should have pointed out that Buffallo is a very cheap brand and that it would be adequate in light rain but not waterproof in all weathers. You only have it a few weeks - bring it back with the receipt and demand your money back or threaten the Office of Consumer Affairs. If you don't get any satisfaction, stick it on Adverts, buy something better from a different shop.

'cpt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

The only way you are going to get waterproof textiles is if it has goretex. Anything else will be water resistant to a certain extent.

I have HG goretex jacket for the last 5 years and it has never once leaked on me. Last pair of trousers were Buffalo and they were only waterproof for small showers and after a few months were barely waterproof at all. Current trousers are RST and are meant to be waterproof to 5000mm but are only OK. Fine in a few showers but anything prolonged and you get wet.

The shop should refund you as it is not as advertised, but reading up on reviews of Buffalo would have told you that before you purchased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

The longest I've been out in heavy rain is 35-40 minutes and my RST Paragon 3 held up. Id be interested to know how long that would last for.

I suppose any jacket might also be affected by the type of bike you ride too. On a naked bike the wind would be driving the rain into the jacket much more than on a fared bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Unless you buy Rukka or Halvarssons then any jacket is only 'waterproof-ish'.
    You can add Hein Gericke to that. I'm wearing a 20ish year old jacket that used to belong to my dad. In the 100,000 miles or so its covered its never let in a drop. It wouldn't have been their 'top of the range' suit at the time either.

Might seem expensive but if it lasts 20 years you're not doing too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Like someone else pointed out there are no waterproof jackets unless u spend 1500€ on them. You can get a rain suit that goes over youre jacket like this:
    http://m.ebay.ie/itm/130595047641?nav=SEARCH

And that really IS waterproof.

Buffalo is cheap ****e brand you can be sure nothing they make is waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I went through this **** before. I tried multiple jackets and ended up just buying some Richa Warrior waterproof top and bottoms. Never lets a drop in.

Its not always ideal but saves the hassle of expecting a jacket to be waterproof.

Absolutely get your money back man. The item sold is not as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I have this for going over my protective jacket.
    It is 100% water proof I even wore it in the shower as a joke and it was spot on.

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=66522

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

+1 for richa rain warrior gear. just leave it in your topbox if you have one. you'll torment or bankrupt yourself yourself trying to find waterproof textiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Definitely get your money back. I have a buffalo jacket I have been using for the past 4/5 years and although its good in the rain, it does let water in via certain area's if its a heavy down pour due to some pretty crappy design flaws.

Another +1 for Richa Rain warrior, dirt cheap and does the job perfectly. I had both trousers and jacket, tore the trousers thanks to an incident with a drunk driver and replaced them with Hein Gericke because they were at a store I was at and only a fiver. Oh if you are wearing a rain suit don't forget to take out the thermal lining out of your jacket/trousers other wise you might end up filling your boots with sweat and end up getting wet anyway!

I have the Richa Rain warrior jacket for at least 3 years if not longer and its never let me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Can I ask where you bought the Richa Rain Warrior gear lads? Looking for similar at the moment as textiles have started to leak despite being re-treated with a Buffalo water-proofing agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

KT10 wrote: »
    Can I ask where you bought the Richa Rain Warrior gear lads? Looking for similar at the moment as textiles have started to leak despite being re-treated with a Buffalo water-proofing agent.

I got mine from

http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/

Free delivery when ya spend 50 quid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

bought the jacket in cotters after i had bought the bottoms on ebay. the ebay stuff arrived the next day. http://www.ebay.ie/usr/brixworkwearuk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Bought them on ebay as well... just watch out for postage though, if needed use parcel motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was really in the dark on this and didn't know where I stood.

So I rang back up the shop again today and the guy who answered was different. He immediately agreed and said that the Endurance jacket shouldn't leak like that. Said to bring it in. He asked my size but I didn't know it. So if they don't have my size I'll ask for a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I was really in the dark on this and didn't know where I stood.

So I rang back up the shop again today and the guy who answered was different. He immediately agreed and said that the Endurance jacket shouldn't leak like that. Said to bring it in. He asked my size but I didn't know it. So if they don't have my size I'll ask for a refund.

Good. :)

Hope you get sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Hate to say this but I used Lidl gear for the past 2 years and it was completely waterproof. Just bought some Aldi gear a few weeks ago and it hasn't let me down yet - and I commute 5 days a week all year round, some ferocious rain last week and as dry as a bone. I used to buy branded gear, gave up on it as a waste of money. Bar helmets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

professore wrote: »
    Hate to say this but I used Lidl gear for the past 2 years and it was completely waterproof. Just bought some Aldi gear a few weeks ago and it hasn't let me down yet - and I commute 5 days a week all year round, some ferocious rain last week and as dry as a bone. I used to buy branded gear, gave up on it as a waste of money. Bar helmets.

I'm using my old Aldi jacket right now instead of the Buffalo Endurance :) Hasn't let me down in 3 years.

Advertisement