Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bamboo not flourishing

• 23-03-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭

Hi
    My bamboo plants seem to be able to sprout new shoots ok but when they get to about hip height the leaves go yellow dry and brittle then die.

It gets plenty of sun on a south facing wall.
    Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you will find that bamboo needs quite a bit of moisture, close to walls, especially south facing, is usually a dry spot. They are often happier in a bit more shady place, depending a bit on what kind it is. It could also be that there is some sort of obstruction like the footings of the wall under the plant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

looksee wrote: »
    I think you will find that bamboo needs quite a bit of moisture, close to walls, especially south facing, is usually a dry spot. They are often happier in a bit more shady place, depending a bit on what kind it is. It could also be that there is some sort of obstruction like the footings of the wall under the plant.
    Thanks. I have an empty shady spot that I wanted to put something in. I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,677 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You will probably find that when you move it it will die in a dramatic and terminal looking fashion. Ignore the histrionics, cut it back to make it tidy, and it will grow again! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

best thing you can do, is dig a trench around the peremiter of plant good and deep within six inches of plant trying not to ruin roots, and put in plenty moisture retaining compost and water well, it should do the trick,
    i had your problem and this is what i did and they are healthy and thriving,
    another thing is they dont like the sun shining on their lower third of plant shade does the trick, if you see them in their normal habitat, they are happiest with the plant shaded some with plenty moisture

Advertisement