Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International payments

Options
  • 23-03-2014 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

If you're launching a site to sell internationally, with potentially half the market being in China, and taking payments between €15 and €50 yearly subscriptions at unknown volumes, what is the best payment processor?

I suppose the setup cost of WorldPay/Realex is an issue, including merchant account and development costs are slightly higher than with PayPal. But are WorldPay & Realex accepted in China without restriction?

I Googled and there doesn't seem to be any restriction on PayPal, but what about using Realex for Chinese transactions?

I presume a Startup with no trading history isn't going to get a merchant account anyway, right?

Would anyone recommend Stripe? If you're based in Ireland you can accept Chinese currency, but would a Chinese person trust it?

Has anyone here experience in this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Stripe can be implemented transparently. I use Stripe as my primary using JS, with PayPal as a secondary option for brand recognition, and I recommend the same to my development customers. However I'm almost certain there's a PayPal equivalent in China that might be better for you as a secondary option.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

Thanks, that is Alipay apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Alipay probably your best bet for attracting a Chinese buyers as its a name they are going to trust due to who is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Stamply

Anyone any experience setting up Alipay? Is it much of a headache?

Advertisement