Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

roaming cat

• 23-03-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I love animals had many over the years and grew up on two different types of farms.. Anyway where I live there is a major over run of cats they just keep breeding and no one is taking responsibility for any of them. The biggest problem is the constant spraying and crapping all over the garden and front door and car and so on. I have one little boy starting to walk and a baby due in weeks and no way could I sit in our garden with them when weather gets good. There is one cat in particular that's driving everyone mad its all over white and gets on the bonnet of everyone's car and craps on it but it's always runny then comes to my garden and vomits. Is there anyone you can contact about this to get it sorted out. Cat poo is dangerous and there are plenty of kids around here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There are trap neuter release programs in many areas, this would stop the breeding and keep the numbers stable.
    Try contacting your local SPCA

You could also cat proof your garden, if it is enclosed. You just need some mesh or netting (can be quite fine) put on top of walls or fences, it needs to go up straight, then tilt outwards at a 45degree angle, for about 2ft. This prevents them jumping over the wall into your garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

The back hasn't big walls and the front is not enclosed plus there's no side gate. The biggest problem is cars been destroyed by the cat scraping the bonnet before lien down don't know what solves this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The back hasn't big walls and the front is not enclosed plus there's no side gate. The biggest problem is cars been destroyed by the cat scraping the bonnet before lien down don't know what solves this

Get a dog that don't like cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm not sure if I can name the facebook page but I'll do so as they aren't a charity and of course the mods can delete it if they want to. But if I were you I would ask on Feral Cats Ireland facebook page if there is anyone in your area practising Trap Neuter and Return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I love animals had many over the years and grew up on two different types of farms.. Anyway where I live there is a major over run of cats they just keep breeding and no one is taking responsibility for any of them. The biggest problem is the constant spraying and crapping all over the garden and front door and car and so on. I have one little boy starting to walk and a baby due in weeks and no way could I sit in our garden with them when weather gets good. There is one cat in particular that's driving everyone mad its all over white and gets on the bonnet of everyone's car and craps on it but it's always runny then comes to my garden and vomits. Is there anyone you can contact about this to get it sorted out. Cat poo is dangerous and there are plenty of kids around here

If it has d and v the cat may well be very sick.

Ferals are territorial also. TNR is the best way forward.

Meanwhile ensure strict hygiene for the little ones of course. Maybe keep one area in the garden free of the mess.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Will try something tomorrow

As regards a dog just to keep cats away I can't I don't have the time for a dog with an 11 month old and soon to be new born. And I can't clean up after cats been pregnant either it's a rock and a hard place

Thanks all. Will try something tomorrow

As regards a dog just to keep cats away I can't I don't have the time for a dog with an 11 month old and soon to be new born. And I can't clean up after cats been pregnant either it's a rock and a hard place

Rubber gloves and bleach work well...

Not been around fumes or cat poo and the bending down required to clean up. They do it every day and after I had someone clean the front they came in quicker to dirty it. Shouldn't be my job I don't own them

Not been around fumes or cat poo and the bending down required to clean up. They do it every day and after I had someone clean the front they came in quicker to dirty it. Shouldn't be my job I don't own them

I do understand but the situation is as it is. I use a long brush here as I am disabled. It can be done without damaging yourself...I also have an impaired immune system so cannot get too close. And it is above the fumes this way.

One thing I have learned is that cats will not walk over wire netting. eg chicken wire. I use it against my own on newly sown garden beds. Leave it just above the ground.

My biggest problem is how dangerous cat poo is to an unborn baby I'm not risking anything going wrong when I've weeks left to my due date

• Advertisement

My biggest problem is how dangerous cat poo is to an unborn baby I'm not risking anything going wrong when I've weeks left to my due date

I know but as long as you do not touch it with your skin..after handling even raw meat too

I think your worrying will do more harm than any real danger from the cats..so easy to get too focused at what is a tense time for you.

Wear gloves and wash hands often is the general advice and is there no one here who can advise re a cat rescue place near you who could help?

Stay calm and safe.

OK after 2 days of chasing cats off your car I'm pretty much at breaking point. It's getting rediculous. How does one keep them off there car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

OK, deep breath OP. Firstly you need to find out if there are any groups in your area that practice tnr. Give them a call, what can it hurt, they are the best people to advise you. Secondly look on Amazon uk for a product called Lion Poo. I'm not joking, there is such a thing and people swear by it for detering cats from coming onto their properties. You could just put it sitting in some little plant pots around areas that are prone to toileting.

Give it a try and try to relax a bit. I understand that you are anxious and stressed. You've got bigger things to be concerned about. Try the things I've suggested, you've got nothing to lose.

Advertisement