Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for an upgrade!

Options
  • 23-03-2014 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

I've realised while waiting yonks for a track to render this morning that i have been using this gear for nigh-on 6 years now - and it wasn't that expensive to begin with 9apart from the laptop). I think it has paid its dues at this stage! So i am going top pick up a new computer I think.

I would also like top spend a few bob on a new audio interface and midi keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should go for?

All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Sky King wrote: »
    I've realised while waiting yonks for a track to render this morning that i have been using this gear for nigh-on 6 years now - and it wasn't that expensive to begin with 9apart from the laptop). I think it has paid its dues at this stage! So i am going top pick up a new computer I think.

I would also like top spend a few bob on a new audio interface and midi keyboard. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should go for?

All advice appreciated.

What monitors are you using and is your room treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You play piano right so you'll probably want a full size midi keyboard I'd imagine. Massive selection to pick from here http://www.thomann.de/ie/midi_master_keyboards.html

Regarding a computer well any decent spec laptop will suffice. You should look out for a 4th gen i5 / i7 with at least 4gb RAM if you're going the windows route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I am not sure if I need full length - the one i have at the moment has 2 octaves... could always go bigger i suppose. Would you recommend going for a laptop over a desktop though? I am currently using a lappie but I don't really need the portability... maybe in future for occasional gigs but there's still nothing stopping me using a desktop for that. It's a bit more awkward.
    MilanPan!c wrote: »
    What monitors are you using and is your room treated?

Yamaha HS-50m monitors and the room is in the process of being treated! I know you can never spend enough on monitors, but my computer, midi controller and interface really are the weak links in my setup currently so my budget will be spent on sorting them out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the use of an external hard drive?

i back everything up onlione anyway but it is faster if you're pulling samples off a plugin drive??

Or a SSHD?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Yamaha HS-50m monitors and the room is in the process of being treated! I know you can never spend enough on monitors, but my computer, midi controller and interface really are the weak links in my setup currently so my budget will be spent on sorting them out.

Hmmm... Well... Ok.

My only comment would be, if you can't trust your room or your monitors are you sure you're gonna get a lot of value out of converters, etc.?

Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Anyone have any thoughts on the use of an external hard drive?

i back everything up onlione anyway but it is faster if you're pulling samples off a plugin drive??

Or a SSHD?

Unless you're triggering samples live, then a USB3 external hdwill be plenty fast enough. A sshd will of course be beneficial internally as well.

Cheers - oh I dunno what to do - there's so much gear out there!!

Advertisement