Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fuse keeps tripping

Options
  • 23-03-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys, a bit of advice pleeeasse!

live in an apartment, about 15 years old, decent build quality. Anyway, the fuse for the sockets has started randomly tripping. nothing new electrical has come into the
    flat and my habits haven t changed so I dont think its anything I have done / am doing. it happens when the tv is on and off, when lamps are on and off, then laptops/phones are chargin/not charging.
    its just a case of flipping the switch back up which may stay there for ten hours or ten minutes but it will invariably trip again.
    if anyone with more technical knowhow can shed a little light on this I would really appreciate it, getting pretty annoying now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bikingmike

Hiya - is it the main trip switch (that controls the whole apartment) that keeps tripping out, or is it one trip switch controlling a sub-circuit in the apartment (i.e. the circuit for the kitchen, or the circuit for the bedrooms) ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

check the immersion
    turn it off and see does the problem re-occur

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

its seems to be the switch covering all the sockets, cooker, fridge, tv everything. will try the emersion

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

Earth fault in an appliance

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bikingmike

To Suicide_Circus - if you're still having problems . . . You might need to unplug EVERYTHING, and then start plugging stuff in one at a time - so that you can identify the item that causes the trip to operate. If everything is disconnected at the start, and the trip is still tripping out, then it sounds like a fault in the house-wiring, and you might be better to get an electrician in to sort that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It was the bloody kettle!!!! 1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

piggy backing on this....we had a power failure yday and when it came back the trip switch for the sockets had gone..

same today but only tripped when i tried the microwave and did so repeatedly. realised i had been using the microwave yesterday before the power went.

does this mean the microwave has had it please.

scuse typing; broken wrist, hence extra need for the microwave.

thank you

Advertisement