Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access course/Social Sciences

Options
  • 23-03-2014 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I am applying for the access course this year with the hopes of starting social sciences next year. If I get on it I would want to do the social work path and major in social policy and sociology.

I'm so nervous though! I'm doing a fetac healthcare support award at the moment as I was thinking it would help with part time work during college and that experience caring for people would help with the masters in social work.

What is social sciences like to study? How many hours a week would I have to attend and how many hours of study outside attendance hours?

Are social policy and sociology interesting? I did an Open University module 'Introducing the Social Sciences' a couple of years ago and it was quite interesting but posts I've read online about sociology at UCD say its boring and irrelevant. Cant find anything about social policy.

What is the accommodation like? I'll be applying for Blackrock, Belgrove or Merville. Does anyone have experience with any of these places?

Also, what will I have to pay? I know that fees are covered but is there a registration fee (or is that covered by a grant?).

Has anyone done Access to Arts and Human Sciences? What's it like?

ANY advice welcome!!!

Thanks,
    The Sock Monster

Advertisement