Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oral

• 23-03-2014 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm an ordinary level student (who are often quite ignored!).
    I'm really only looking for a pass, which should be achievable, despite my weakness when it comes to Irish.

So, the problem, with my orals starting tomorrow (monday) week, I have very little done for it. I have wrote out sample answers to almost all the topics in my Liofa book but that's about it.

So with one week left, what do I focus on to do an okay oral? Any other tips etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

My advice would be for you not to worry about it. I passed the Irish oral and I could not have a simple conversation in it to save my life and that was after 12 years of daily "lessons". Assessment of Irish mastery is and always has been a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there! Here are a few little tips:

- Just totally immerse yourself in Irish this week. I know your probably thinking that that will be so tough but it really isn't. Things like 'where is my bag' and 'isn't the weather lovely today' and other simple phrases/topics like that. By doing that it will relax you in a way as sometimes if people go in with loads of info learned off they will easily forget it all whereas if you can think in Irish you will have more confidence.

- When you are going in, don't appear nervous, instead go in happy looking and shake the examiners hand and welcome them. If they ask you 'Conas atá tú' please don't say 'tá mé go maith' as that's what someone would say in junior infants! Say something like; 'táim sar mhaith, go raibh maith agat' or 'iontach sásta/sar mhaith' etc.

- Make sure you know those first five questions really well because the examiner will probably think that if they can't answer those five qs, how can they answer anything else? So know these really well!!

- With your sraith, learn off a few universal phrases that you can thrown in anywhere like 'Is cuimhin le
    (persons name) go maith an lá sin. Also pick 3 questions that can go with any sraith. You will also have a few seconds before you start so use these wisely.

- With your general conversation, keep it natural. If there is anything that you are strong at/you like/hobbies and know relatively well, try and link it into the conversation at some point.

Best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Really appreciate that! Also that part about not saying ta me go maith I shall take note off, never thought of saying anything else haha, it's such a natural response

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Midnight Diamond

I gave grinds in Irish and I know that the best and most successful way of improving your spoken Irish is to practice. Sit down with a friend and ask each other questions. Keep pushing each other to continue with your answers for as long as possible. Don't give one worded answers if possible.

Look at the exam this way, you are the one that can decide which direction the exam can go in.For example, if the examiner as you if you like spots you can say, No I don't like sports, but I love to read. Then before they have a chance to ask you another question. Tell them the name of your favourite and who wrote it. Te examiner is only there to give you marks, not take them away from you. He/she can't give you many marks if you don't talk much.

Most importantly relax. You have spent the past two years studying for this exam so you are more than capable of doing it. Just remember what you have learned and you will be fine. In most situations you will be able to twist your answer in your favour.

Good luck!

Advertisement