Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob explorations - Android Studio

Options
  • 23-03-2014 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I downloaded Android Studio and am trying to learn a little about it :)

On a simple test app, to add two numbers and display a total, it stops
    before completion.
    I suspect running out of resources.

Basically I was following this youtube tutorial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iAm_YyOk9o

The display of the Emulator to readiness takes ages too!

Presumably attaching a real android device would be faster ?

My PC is a 2.5gh Intel duo , with 4 Gig Ram, Win 7.

What minimum spec would you recommend for Android App development ?

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

yes try a physical device the emulators run terrible on even high spec machines. I don't think 4gb ram will cut it for the emulator. There is a way to speed it up using some intel accelerator but I haven't tried this myself http://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/speeding-up-the-android-emulator-on-intel-architecture

you can syphon 2gb of Ram for the emulator but win7 probably needs more than 2 itself so I would say you should use a physical device - better in the long run anyway :)

I have 8gb ram 2.8ghz Core i7 and eclipse runs pretty laggy sometimes for me. Have briefly tried Android Studio but I don't like the gradle build stuff in there

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thanks for that :)

I'll try with a real android device and see.

Will look at the other option you suggested too.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have used the Intel HAXM and it doesn't make a noticeable difference so I wouldn't bother with it especially if you have a real device.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thanks.

That's very helpful :)

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 driveshark

I found Android Studio very slow when building (due to the gradle build sequence). If you want to speed up development on a slow machine I'd recommend using Eclipse and as for an emulator, just don't use the standard Android emulator, try Genymotion . It's fast, free and easier to use in my opinion. Any questions just shout!

• Advertisement
Advertisement