Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private pension and Gold

Options
  • 23-03-2014 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello,
    I have a private pension. My enquiry is can I switch to another broker that would invest the current value of my pension into a physical gold fund that has physical gold in a vault. Not paper cert claim on gold.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Why would you risk all your money on one asset? A pension fund is spread across many commodities and industries to minise risk and maximise return. Gold is quite volatile with very little potential for growth in the next 40 years. Very few american funds would touch it. Not even Warren Buffet would consider investing in it.

If the return on your pension is poor, look at a new broker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

FJR wrote: »

Hello,
    I have a private pension. My enquiry is can I switch to another broker that would invest the current value of my pension into a physical gold fund that has physical gold in a vault. Not paper cert claim on gold.
    :confused:

That would be mad....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FJR

Anyone with advice on a Physical Gold pension fund?????

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Anyone with advice on a Physical Gold pension fund?????

Is it even legal? This would be considered to be any extremely risk situation and not one that pension funds would encouraged to get involved in. My experience is in middle Europe and certainly in these countries it would be illegal to offer such a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FJR

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Is it even legal? This would be considered to be any extremely risk situation and not one that pension funds would encouraged to get involved in. My experience is in middle Europe and certainly in these countries it would be illegal to offer such a product.

WOW.. Illegal to invest in Gold.

All the Gold is heading east until it runs out..

When it runs out you wont buy gold at any price

• Advertisement

It does not really matter what your opinion is, the bottom line is that you need to find out if funds providers can even offer such a product before you can start thinking about switching brokers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Asia will.only buy commodities and currencies that are of value. But the Asian economies are slowing down rapidly compared to their growth 10years ago.

I don't know what kind of misinformation you have heard about gold. But it's not going to give you the return like a normal fund. Gold is a metal with little industrial use and doesn't pay a yield. Very few, if any funds invest in it.

hfallada wrote: »
    Asia will.only buy commodities and currencies that are of value. But the Asian economies are slowing down rapidly compared to their growth 10years ago.

If you look at the demographics, this should not surprise anyone. Ageing populations can not support booming economies...

Advertisement