Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buffet/BBQ Reception in the South-East

• 23-03-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi all,

We've just got engaged and looking to nail down a venue in the South-East for Summer 2015. Our ideal day would be a small civil ceremony with close family and friends followed by food and party for ~200 people in a nice country venue. We are equally happy with a function room or marquee but an informal BBQ/Buffet meal would be great to try and keep costs down!

We are also looking for a pre-reception band/singer (swing/blues/barbershop/acoustic guitar) and a party band for later on, def not of the cheesy wedding type!

If anyone has any recommendations for venues or anything else it would be really helpful!:)

Thanks so much.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

You should check out Athenaeum House Hotel, in Ferrybank, Waterford. I know they set up a marquee for large weddings, but they can do the option of small civil ceremony and dinner. So no harm to give a call and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭djb85

Libby029 wrote: »
    You should check out Athenaeum House Hotel, in Ferrybank, Waterford. I know they set up a marquee for large weddings, but they can do the option of small civil ceremony and dinner. So no harm to give a call and see.

Hi Libby, thanks for your help and we'll check it out but on first look I think we are after something a little different to the standard hotel function. An old country house would be ideal for us so it would be great to get some recommendations from others that might have been to a similar wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Libby029

Horetown house i know also does marquee receptions.. also have a look at Slaney Manor in Wexford.. and they are the only ones i know of to hand in the south east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Congratulations to you!! Wishing you the best of luck finding a venue, tis a tough one. We are kind of looking for something like you but in the South so sorry I cant be off help with the venues. A note though with them is make sure you ask if it is something like a country hotel or that way how much they charge for the civil ceremony to be had there. Was very surprised that although you are booking the place as such for the day a lot of places charge for this.. bit of a joke really.

If you were looking for someone for the food, pigspit.ie have very good prices. Provide a lot for what they are quoting. I haven't used them myself but was chatting to someone who did and they were very happy with them, said there was loads left even for the next day.

Milly33 wrote: »
    Congratulations to you!! Wishing you the best of luck finding a venue, tis a tough one. We are kind of looking for something like you but in the South so sorry I cant be off help with the venues. A note though with them is make sure you ask if it is something like a country hotel or that way how much they charge for the civil ceremony to be had there. Was very surprised that although you are booking the place as such for the day a lot of places charge for this.. bit of a joke really.

If you were looking for someone for the food, pigspit.ie have very good prices. Provide a lot for what they are quoting. I haven't used them myself but was chatting to someone who did and they were very happy with them, said there was loads left even for the next day.

Hi Milly, thanks for that will def check them out!

• Advertisement

Libby029 wrote: »
    Horetown house i know also does marquee receptions.. also have a look at Slaney Manor in Wexford.. and they are the only ones i know of to hand in the south east.

Horetown looks great! We'll definitely get in touch with them, thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

I can +1 on Slaney Manor.
    Was at a wedding there and it was a great venue and definitely didnt have that "hotel" feeling!

streetcar wrote: »
    I can +1 on Slaney Manor.
    Was at a wedding there and it was a great venue and definitely didnt have that "hotel" feeling!

Sounds good, was the reception in the castle or in a marquee?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

The reception was in the Castle / banqueting hall. Bride from Dublin, groom was a local. Family stayed in the house and friends and extended family stayed in the courtyard rooms.
    We were blessed with weather so apart from the meal, the guests were outside a lot.
    On the second day they had an outdoor pig on a spit bbq and they had lots pf picnic tables laid out.
    Overall, good venue and staff allowed us to have great fun. at one point th elead singer from the band led the entire dancefloor outside as he kept singing and we snaked around the property. :D

streetcar wrote: »
    The reception was in the Castle / banqueting hall. Bride from Dublin, groom was a local. Family stayed in the house and friends and extended family stayed in the courtyard rooms.
    We were blessed with weather so apart from the meal, the guests were outside a lot.
    On the second day they had an outdoor pig on a spit bbq and they had lots pf picnic tables laid out.
    Overall, good venue and staff allowed us to have great fun. at one point th elead singer from the band led the entire dancefloor outside as he kept singing and we snaked around the property. :D

Sounds exactly what we're after and hopefully we're as lucky with the weather! We are also on the look-out for an alternative or lively band and they sound great, can you remember their name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,656 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sounds like great craic. I like the idea of the two sides of the family staying the night before.. I think these self catering places are the way to go. I just got prices back there from one other hotel that we thought was nice and there isn't much difference in the prices, comes in around €100 euro cheaper and you still do not get rooms for parents or anyone you would like to treat

Advertisement