Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security Noob: Monitored Home Security Options?

Options
  • 23-03-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Following a recent scary incident we're looking to upgrade our home security. Full back-story here. Short version: thieves broke into our house while we were asleep in the small hours of Paddy's Day and stole our car keys, a meat cleaver and our car. Apparently they later used our car in a very scary kidnapping and serious assault.

Sooo, I'm considering the best option for us. We're in an end-of-terrace (thieves jumped the side door) Ideally I'd like something more than just a siren which seems to be roundly ignored and has huge nuisance potential. Cost (installation and running costs) and convenience (ease of arming/disarming/monitoring) would be important factors for us.

I'm new to home security systems. I'm thinking if we had internal and external sirens and internal and external CCTV combo which we self-monitor and control via a GSM dialler and a phone app that would be ideal. Ideally this would be wireless (running cables everywhere would be a major pain in the backside) and would be a once-off installation expense apart from keeping credit on SIMs for the GSM dialler.

Shopping around a bit online since the incident there appears to be plenty of off-the-shelf alarms kits and and cameras available but I'm afraid I'm clueless as to what would be involved in installing these or how they could be conveniently armed and disarmed (don't want an alert when I move around my own house!). Nor do I know what sort of resolution camera I should be looking for. What about night vision?

I know there are companies out there like Phonewatch but they don't seem to offer value for money.

I'd really appreciate some pointers here. Any ideas or suggestions?

(Apologies if this is the umty-thrumptieth time you've had this query)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So if i'm reading it right you want a wireless system with self monitoring & an app. ?
    The Risco Agility 3 will do all this for you. You won't need a GSM or a digi as the app sends notifications to you also. You can also add PiR cameras internally that you can view yourself via the app. Unlike PW where they are only viewable by controllers in the monitoring station.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

Thanks KoolKid! Is that system available in Dublin (nothings coming up on their site)? Any idea of the costs?

How is the system activated/deactivated?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

(Um, silly question perhaps, but PW = ??)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It would be available through most good installers here.
    The system is armed /disarmed via the keypad, wireless fobs or the smart phone app.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

coolaboola wrote: »
    (Um, silly question perhaps, but PW = ??)

PW Phonewatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

KoolKid wrote: »
    It would be available through most good installers here.
    The system is armed /disarmed via the keypad, wireless fobs or the smart phone app.

Does this system work with the Gardaí?
    Do you get cheaper home insurance?
    Can you get it with a smoke alarms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

el pasco wrote: »

Firstly I am sure KoolKid will set you straight of the technicalities of the Risco panel, I have never used one.

Where did the OP mention 'work with Gardai' what i read were the words 'self monitor'.
    The OP did not mention Smoke detectors either.
    The Risco conforms with EN50131, so yes the OP should get cheaper insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

el pasco wrote: »

Yes if you have monitoring by a monitoring station in place then you will have Garda response.
    If the system is monitored by a monitoring station then most insurance company's will give you a bigger discount.
    Here is a link to compatible devices for the Agility.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

The op will get a Garda response even if the system isnt monitored as the risco agility sends the images from the PIR cams straight to their phone aswell as a monitoring station if required ..
    The guards will respond as the op will see the intruders in the house via the app. There not going to refuse if the op can see the intruders coming through the kitchen window.
    Also the risco can use prox tags and smoke detectors so it's better than paying half a years ESB to phonewatch

Evolution1 wrote: »
    The op will get a Garda response even if the system isnt monitored as the risco agility sends the images from the PIR cams straight to their phone aswell as a monitoring station if required ..
    The guards will respond as the op will see the intruders in the house via the app. There not going to refuse if the op can see the intruders coming through the kitchen window.
    Also the risco can use prox tags and smoke detectors so it's better than paying half a years ESB to phonewatch

I am well aware of how the Agility works thank you.
    If the OP wants a proper response then having the camera viewed by a monitoring station plus himself is only going to add to his security in the event of an alarm activation. Monitoring stations can not just dial into the cams as has being suggested on this forum.

• Advertisement

altor wrote: »
    I am well aware of how the Agility works thank you.
    If the OP wants a proper response then having the camera viewed by a monitoring station plus himself is only going to add to his security in the event of an alarm activation. Monitoring stations can not just dial into the cams as has being suggested on this forum.

That comment wasn't aimed towards anyone ? ????

That comment wasn't aimed towards anyone ? ????

And???

And???
    In your last post you made it seem that I was telling you how the agility works .. It was for the OPs benefit

In your last post you made it seem that I was telling you how the agility works .. It was for the OPs benefit

Just thought you had installed one and knew what you were talking about :)

Enough.
    Wat OT at this stage. Back to the OPs questions please.

Just thought you had installed one and knew what you were talking about :)

Here ya go ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Here ya go ;)

Whats that, a HKC Agility :D

kub wrote: »
    Whats that, a HKC Agility :D

It's my own make of panel ;) going to go global with it

Think we'll leave it at that.
    Thats all folks..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement