Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start a career in I.T with no prior experience

Options
  • 23-03-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,

Wanting to change career to I.t.

Any suggestion.

Certs, courses, entry level roles?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

pkmd1986 wrote: »
    Hi,

Wanting to change career to I.t.

Any suggestion.

Certs, courses, entry level roles?

Do you have any idea what you want do in IT?

Would you like to be a programmer, tester, admin, helpdesk etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

Do you have a degree/qualification in another area?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,451 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there an IT department in your current company? It would be much more difficult to get a job in the IT dept. of another company with no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pkmd1986

hardCopy wrote: »
    Do you have any idea what you want do in IT?

Would you like to be a programmer, tester, admin, helpdesk etc?

Networking

coylemj wrote: »
    Is there an IT department in your current company? It would be much more difficult to get a job in the IT dept. of another company with no experience.

Currently a truck driver so no I.T department :-)

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    Do you have a degree/qualification in another area?

ECDL and Comptia A+.

Did the Comptia in 4 weeks with absolutely no prior experience in I.T and the ECDL in a week.

Really like computers. Truck driving has never been for me. Just a means to an end while trying to find what I like. I'm 27 years old now so I'm not ancient but old enough to feel the pressure is on to start building a meaningful career

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭dmc17

ECDL and Comptia A+.

Did the Comptia in 4 weeks with absolutely no prior experience in I.T and the ECDL in a week.

Really like computers. Truck driving has never been for me. Just a means to an end while trying to find what I like. I'm 27 years old now so I'm not ancient but old enough to feel the pressure is on to start building a meaningful career

The reason I asked is there are Springboard IT conversion courses but I think they all require you have a degree in an unrelated area.

dmc17 wrote: »
    The reason I asked is there are Springboard IT conversion courses but I think they all require you have a degree in an unrelated area.

Unfortunately I don't have a degree. I would love obtain one but I have young daughter to provide for.

A friend of mine done a FAS course and obtained the comptia A+ and Net+. He got a job starting on €32. He was there for a year and is now on €40k in his second job.

Like me he had no prior experience and worked in a variety of different jobs over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Do some Cisco ccna exams its online,its focused on networking.should be quickest solution to get you a job..

micko4 wrote: »
    Do some Cisco ccna exams its online,its focused on networking.should be quickest solution to get you a job..

Thanks man. It's a coincidence you say that! I was looking online at a course. It's a 5 day intensive course and they offer to pay for you to sit exam twice and if you fail for the second time you can attend the class again free of charge!

I think 5 days is really pushing it but I suppose I could get a book and study it for a month and then do the course.

Here is a link for the course itself. It's only €750 exclusive of exams:

http://www.theknowledgeacademy.com/courses/cisco-training/ccna-training-cisco-certified-network-associate-/dublin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Cisco is the main thing to be doing in networking as far as I know,I went back to college this year to study computer science as a mature student.and we have been doing the Cisco exams.theres a lot of reading involved but its quite interesting.

Apparently your more likely to get a job with a company because the company will get discount on Cisco routers if an employee will be sitting exams or something..(the certification needs to be upgraded or renewed every 3 years or something) I'm not hundred percent sure on the facts of it but if your interested in networking Cisco is definitely the way to go..

I'm more interested in programming myself but starting to warm a bit to networking.

micko4 wrote: »
    Cisco is the main thing to be doing in networking as far as I know,I went back to college this year to study computer science as a mature student.and we have been doing the Cisco exams.theres a lot of reading involved but its quite interesting.

Apparently your more likely to get a job with a company because the company will get discount on Cisco routers if an employee will be sitting exams or something..(the certification needs to be upgraded or renewed every 3 years or something) I'm not hundred percent sure on the facts of it but if your interested in networking Cisco is definitely the way to go..

I'm more interested in programming myself but starting to warm a bit to networking.

Thanks Micko. I really appreciate your input. Think I'll book a place on that course for may. Gives me some time to study cisco.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Unfortunately I don't have a degree. I would love obtain one but I have young daughter to provide for.

A friend of mine done a FAS course and obtained the comptia A+ and Net+. He got a job starting on €32. He was there for a year and is now on €40k in his second job.

Like me he had no prior experience and worked in a variety of different jobs over the years.

You may be eligible for a grant in that case. You could do it part time, and a lot of colleges do parts if their courses online.

Mr. G wrote: »
    You may be eligible for a grant in that case. You could do it part time, and a lot of colleges do parts if their courses online.

Grant from who? FAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

As others have said, CCNA is your best option to get started for networking. If you're going to try to get the certification, you're right to take your time studying and then do the 5 day course when you think you're ready. The course is really a revision course more than anything else, unless you're planning to cram & forget, which is counter-productive.

In terms of actually learning, you can't beat playing with the stuff, and in that respect I would recommend getting yourself a copy of Boson Netsim, where you can build out dummy networks with various Cisco devices, and can even connect to the individual devices and configure them as you would a real Cisco device. More details here: http://www.boson.com/netsim-cisco-network-simulator Note that it is Windows only, as far as I can remember, so if you're on Mac or Linux, it isn't going to work. I don't know if it runs under Wine on Linux.

ruairi wrote: »
    As others have said, CCNA is your best option to get started for networking. If you're going to try to get the certification, you're right to take your time studying and then do the 5 day course when you think you're ready. The course is really a revision course more than anything else, unless you're planning to cram & forget, which is counter-productive.

In terms of actually learning, you can't beat playing with the stuff, and in that respect I would recommend getting yourself a copy of Boson Netsim, where you can build out dummy networks with various Cisco devices, and can even connect to the individual devices and configure them as you would a real Cisco device. More details here: http://www.boson.com/netsim-cisco-network-simulator Note that it is Windows only, as far as I can remember, so if you're on Mac or Linux, it isn't going to work. I don't know if it runs under Wine on Linux.

Hi Ruairi,

Thank you for your post.

I will check that link out.

In terms of equipment- can I purchase things to mess around with so I can get hands on experience and if so, what equipment and where would I look?

Hi Ruairi,

Thank you for your post.

I will check that link out.

In terms of equipment- can I purchase things to mess around with so I can get hands on experience and if so, what equipment and where would I look?

No worries.

When you've got the CCNA done, and you're moving on to the CCNP, CCDP etc, you may want to go hunting for some kit, but the track you choose will dictate the kit you'll want. I know there are some companies that sell refurbished Cisco kit with a warranty and you'll probably find one easily enough by Googling, but you may do better on eBay or checking out liquidation actions, http://auctionxchange.ie/ for example.

Cisco kit such as 2600-series routers are pretty damn expensive new, and very much in demand second hand though, so not much cheaper. A virtual environment like Netsim would be your best bet initially, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe have a look on ebay http://www.ebay.ie/sch/Switches-Hubs-/175706/i.html?_sop=2&_from=R40&_nkw=cisco+ccna&LH_PrefLoc=5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I did the CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams, plus Win7 MCSA exams and I now work in a bank after only 2 years experience

Only do the CCNA if you are going to work in a Cicso environment.

I did the CompTIA A+ and Network+ exams, plus Win7 MCSA exams and I now work in a bank after only 2 years experience

As someone with greater than 20 years experience in the industry, I disagree. The Cisco certifications up to and including CCIE give valuable knowledge of networking protocols, troubleshooting and infrastructure that is much more than Cisco-specific. It is very valuable in intermediate and advanced networking roles, whatever vendors kit you end up working on, and that includes Juniper, Huawei, Citrix et al.

• Advertisement

No worries.

When you've got the CCNA done, and you're moving on to the CCNP, CCDP etc, you may want to go hunting for some kit, but the track you choose will dictate the kit you'll want. I know there are some companies that sell refurbished Cisco kit with a warranty and you'll probably find one easily enough by Googling, but you may do better on eBay or checking out liquidation actions, http://auctionxchange.ie/ for example.

Cisco kit such as 2600-series routers are pretty damn expensive new, and very much in demand second hand though, so not much cheaper. A virtual environment like Netsim would be your best bet initially, in my opinion.

Thanks.

What's the likelihood of finding a job after I complete the CCNA?

At that stage my CV will show CCNA, Comptia A+, Net+, MTA Networking Fundamentals and ECDL.

NB/ I'm doing the MTA as I can do it for free through FAS and can't see any harm in having an extra cert on my CV.

I did look into the MCSA as I heard a lot more companies use Microsoft.

The company I was looking to do the courses with offered MCSA Windows Server 2012 for £499 sterling which I thought was quite cheap. I looked at Windows Server 2008 and the same company was charging £3995 sterling. It didn't take me long to figure out that there are probably very few companies using 2012 and therefore people with mcsa in 2008 are much more in demand hence the much heftier price tag.

Thanks.

What's the likelihood of finding a job after I complete the CCNA?

At that stage my CV will show CCNA, Comptia A+, Net+, MTA Networking Fundamentals and ECDL.

NB/ I'm doing the MTA as I can do it for free through FAS and can't see any harm in having an extra cert on my CV.

It's hard to know. There are jobs out there at the moment, the last two companies I have worked for are having nightmares trying to hire people without having to bring them in from all over Europe. You may end up having to go in somewhere on low money to get the initial experience though.

One option might be Amazon in Kilmainham (are you in Dublin?) They have a lot of networking jobs, and may take you on in a junior position. The same goes for Facebook or Google.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Jesus were is he working, Ive a diploma in information systems, A+ and N+ certified and out of work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hard to know. There are jobs out there at the moment, the last two companies I have worked for are having nightmares trying to hire people without having to bring them in from all over Europe. You may end up having to go in somewhere on low money to get the initial experience though.

One option might be Amazon in Kilmainham (are you in Dublin?) They have a lot of networking jobs, and may take you on in a junior position. The same goes for Facebook or Google.

Actually, Citrix are also hiring. They pay well and promote from within, or so I'm told by a friend who works there.

Yeah I'm in Dublin. 10 mins drive from city centre.

Are you a network engineer yourself ?

Have absolutely no issues working on low pay. The experience is so much more valuable.

As the saying goes- "Look into knowledge, Success will follow"

Jesus were is he working, Ive a diploma in information systems, A+ and N+ certified and out of work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Government through a contractor.

(Linux & UNIX) Systems & Network engineer since 1994. And now NoSQL databases too. The learning, when will it end? ;-) I change when I get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I did look into the MCSA as I heard a lot more companies use Microsoft.

The company I was looking to do the courses with offered MCSA Windows Server 2012 for £499 sterling which I thought was quite cheap. I looked at Windows Server 2008 and the same company was charging £3995 sterling. It didn't take me long to figure out that there are probably very few companies using 2012 and therefore people with mcsa in 2008 are much more in demand hence the much heftier price tag.

You can study this stuff yourself at home. Dont be fooled into paying that kind of money.

I downloaded all the content, studied it, did mock exams and then booked the exam myself. Total cost depending on the exam €150.

I use my CompTIA and MCSA everyday. It was money well spent because my salary has increased 6k in 2 years. I am currently studying Windows Server 2008 and will do the CCNA but for me the CCNA went on the back burner because I was advised by the director of an IT company that there was no point unless you were in a CISCO run house. The Network+ works very well for the day to day tasks that I do

Advertisement