Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start a career in I.T with no prior experience

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pkmd1986

ruairi wrote: »
    (Linux & UNIX) Systems & Network engineer since 1994. And now NoSQL databases too. The learning, when will it end? ;-) I change when I get bored.

:-) good to get genuine info from an experience engineer. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ruairi

pkmd1986 wrote: »
    :-) good to get genuine info from an experience engineer. Thanks again

My pleasure, always good to be able to help.

You can study this stuff yourself at home. Dont be fooled into paying that kind of money.

I downloaded all the content, studied it, did mock exams and then booked the exam myself. Total cost depending on the exam €150.

I use my CompTIA and MCSA everyday. It was money well spent because my salary has increased 6k in 2 years. I am currently studying Windows Server 2008 and will do the CCNA but for me the CCNA went on the back burner because I was advised by the director of an IT company that there was no point unless you were in a CISCO run house. The Network+ works very well for the day to day tasks that I do

Can you send me any links for downloading the content you used?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mrbike

...I was advised by the director of an IT company that there was no point unless you were in a CISCO run house.

I'm guessing this director never studied the Cisco CCNA syllabus :)

The Network+ is very much an introductory course to networking.

For medium & larger networks, the CCNA material is much more in depth. It's goes into much more detail on topics such as TCP/IP addressing & subnetting, VLANS, STP, network security, ethernet, routing protocols and much, much more. The theory applies to any network equipment, although the implementation is Cisco specific. That said, I've never been is a medium to large company that didn't use at least some Cisco gear.

Beware that Cisco have recently revised the CCNA course & exams, so make sure you get materials for the newer course if you're thinking about getting a CCNA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Don't put ECDL on any C.V!

Have a look at MCSA exams,
    I really think these are the best starting point for anyone looking for a career in I.T. Should definitely land you a help desk job or system administrator role and then pursue other areas. Depending on the company some helpdesks Are Level 1 and Level 2 so would get good experience.

Have a look at Cisco as the lads said here, Cloud Computing. There's tons of areas, see which ones you like.

• Advertisement

yawhat! wrote: »
    Don't put ECDL on any C.V!

Have a look at MCSA exams,
    I really think these are the best starting point for anyone looking for a career in I.T. Should definitely land you a help desk job or system administrator role and then pursue other areas. Depending on the company some helpdesks Are Level 1 and Level 2 so would get good experience.

Have a look at Cisco as the lads said here, Cloud Computing. There's tons of a6reas, see which ones you like.

Which MCSA? W7, W8, Server 2008 or 2012?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Grant from who? FAS?

What I meant was you might be eligible to apply for a grant through SUSI as a mature student.

http://www.susi.ie/Mature-Students-aged-over-23.aspx

FÁS is now Solas just so you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Only do the CCNA if you are going to work in a Cicso environment.

The CCNA is widely recognised and valued even by companies that don't run Cisco gear. I'd consider it pretty close to the bare minimum for anyone trying to get into networking.

The N+ doesn't really cut it in comparison.

The CCNA is widely recognised and valued even by companies that don't run Cisco gear. I'd consider it pretty close to the bare minimum for anyone trying to get into networking.

The N+ doesn't really cut it in comparison.

Could I Skip The Net+ and go straight for the CCNA?

I've finished the comptia A+ and was thinking of doing the net+ before I move onto the CCNA as I thought it would better prepare me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 !BigBadBarry

Don't mean to hijack this thread but....

i'm currently studying A+, and i was strongly thinking of starting a Higher Cert in It in Blanch IT in Sept. eventually working my way towards a degree.

After reading this thread i'm wondering would i not be better doing, Network+ along with some Microsoft exams ??

Interested in working in maybe helpdesk, IT support type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Could I Skip The Net+ and go straight for the CCNA?

If you're planning on going for the full CCNA, the N+ will be obsolesced by it. Save your money.

If you're planning on going for the full CCNA, the N+ will be obsolesced by it. Save your money.

What do you mean by full CCNA? I plan to do ICND1 And ICND2. I plan to do it this way because the ICND1 = CCENT and then after you complete and pass ICND2 you are CCNA Certified.

I heard this is the best way to do it because if you do the single CCNA exam and fail you are left with nothing but if you do it the way I have mentioned above you are still CCENT Certified.

Advertisement