Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trouble with the voice and all these shows

Options
  • 23-03-2014 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

The singers simply dont sing long enough.....its now become less than 2 minutes ? the rest of the time its all yap yap yap....promotions, adverts, competition time, voting numbers are , the judges actually talk about the performance for longer than the performance lasts.......oh and of course theres the sob stories beforehand

its pathetic and its getting worse...this also means the 2 minute performance because a desperate attempt at attention seeking, the song is rushed into a mini version of the original and the singer has to go over the top trying to cover as many notes as possible to try and get through to the next round

just to make maters worse the audience as warmed up with cue cards and warm up producers to manipulate them to cheer and clap for almost anything
    the camera angles are all over the place so its hard fr the viewer to actually focus, do i need to see william or tom jones face every few seconds during a song which is only 2 minutes? even the judges themselves spend much of their time winking and chatting to each other during the 2 minute performance

fundamentally its a farce like all the tv competitions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

If you don't like these shows then don't watch them. It's not that difficult to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

If you don't like these shows then don't watch them. It's not that difficult to do.
    that point totally ignores my critique....firstly theres no top of the pops anymore for some inexplicable reason and the mtv music chanells just show endless poor videos of mostly singers i dont like.....the voice does have good singers but as I stated they only get 2 minutes to sing which is the main problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

What is there to critique in the first place? It's a glorified karaoke competition.

Also, there's no need for Top of the Pops, MTV or the likes these days. You have the internet in front of you. Use it to find music you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭stpaddy99

What is there to critique in the first place? It's a glorified karaoke competition.

Also, there's no need for Top of the Pops, MTV or the likes these days. You have the internet in front of you. Use it to find music you enjoy.
    no point talking to you, never mind

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Problem with The Voice is that it goes against all that it advertises itself as.

OK so the initial selections are done based on the voice, but after that all the selections will be heavily influenced by image, style, confidence, presence etc, and thus the whole idea that the voice is the most important thing is lost.

A successful music artist is as much about marketing and image as ability, and thats why certain acts wont win.

• Advertisement

While I agree 100% with the poster who says "don't like? don't watch it", I know what you mean about the actual point you are making about the program itself.

Which is why I think what you call "the problem" with the voice is what I consider "the whole point" of the voice. I just think you are mistaken if you think it really is "all about the voice". It isn't, that's just a ruse to get you in front of the telly in the first place. Once they have you there the real point of the exercise is a vehicle to promote the inflated egos and business interests of its owners. That's not a flaw in the program, it was the whole idea/concept behind it from day one. In fact the only "problem" in the eyes of the produces is that you are seeing through the cracks and suspect the truth, even if you haven't quite put your finger on it just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

These shows have nothing to do with music, or singers - its all about money, money, money. Get good ratings for advertisers, a few quick hits out, some package tour, then drop them as soon as they stop selling.

They have found the formula and they are sticking to it - that's what the people who like these shows obviously want to see. The back story, the judges contrived "bickering", the cuts to the family backstage, the 'Sigur Ros' moment when they get through and they hug each other in slow motion - the viewers are essentially being told "like this, cry here, boo that". They might as well be watching a pantomime. They'll keep going with this until people stop watching.

It'd be more interesting if it was a radio show - and it was purely about the voice. But then again, image plays a big part in pop music. You can't just listen, you have to watch. But it doesn't last - image fades. "Real" music always wins out in the end, because it is based on more than image - talent, creativity, and sometimes genius.

Advertisement