Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategy game recommendations?

Options
  • 23-03-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Can anybody recommend a Windows 8 compatible, turn-based strategy game in the Civilization vein?

Ideally one with a strong balance between trade and combat, hot seat gameplay options, plenty of room to customise nations, landscape etc and, ideally but not essentially, a fantasy/medieval theme?

Anything come to mind? Thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Ever tried heroes franchise? Heroes 6 have hot seat too if I am not mistaken.

Settlers 7 is not really a turn based strategy, but a very good mix between combat and economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Ever tried heroes franchise? Heroes 6 have hot seat too if I am not mistaken.

Is that Heroes of Might & Magic (I played one of them about 15 years ago) or something I'm wholly unaware of? Either way I'm willing to give it a try. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is that Heroes of Might & Magic (I played one of them about 15 years ago) or something I'm wholly unaware of? Either way I'm willing to give it a try. :D

Heroes 3 was my favourite of all times m8. You can still get it cheaply on GOG when a deal is going on.

Heroes 6 is VERY good if you liked this franchise.

http://www.kinguin.net/category/1956/might-magic-heroes-vi-gold-steam-gift/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Same thread was made here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89129380

We also have a Strategy forum that you might like to have a browse around...see what the popular ones are, have a read of what people playing them think

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=164

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Hagriderp

Rome:Total War...
    Or XCOM:Enemy Unknown
    But these don't REALLY fit your criteria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Hagriderp

Rome:Total War...
    Or XCOM:Enemy Unknown
    But these don't REALLY fit your criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can anybody recommend a Windows 8 compatible, turn-based strategy game in the Civilization vein?

Ideally one with a strong balance between trade and combat, hot seat gameplay options, plenty of room to customise nations, landscape etc and, ideally but not essentially, a fantasy/medieval theme?

Anything come to mind? Thanks. :)

Europa Universalis would fit your description other than them being pausable real time rather than turn based (not an RTS!) and multiplayer not being hotseat based. Victoria and Hearts of Iron also, though they are rather harder to get into.

Other than that it's tricky, the grand scope games tend not to be turn based and/or multiplayer friendly, it tends towards being a single player genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

nesf wrote: »
    Europa Universalis would fit your description other than them being pausable real time rather than turn based (not an RTS!) and multiplayer not being hotseat based. Victoria and Hearts of Iron also, though they are rather harder to get into.

Other than that it's tricky, the grand scope games tend not to be turn based and/or multiplayer friendly, it tends towards being a single player genre.

I played a fair bit of EU3. Twas decent.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Crusader Kings 2 with the Game of Thrones mod?

Advertisement