Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizen to Malin in 24hrs

Options
  • 23-03-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Afternoon,

Firstly, I appreciate there many threads on the topic of Mizen-Malin but couldn't see much about non-stop runs so hope you don't mind another thread!

I'm undertaking this challenge in August of this year and have the route fairly sorted etc but just wondering if people could pass on their experiences in any endurance challenge similar in distance to this?

I'd really appreciate any stories/tips/pointers.

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Tip #1 : don't wear bib shorts.
    Tip #2: don't underestimate how easy it is to fall asleep whilst cycling when you're sleep deprived.
    Tip #3: eat real food, not sports/technical "food". You don't need to eat much at all, even over 24 hours. You're going to be in the fat burn zone all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Enduro wrote: »
    Tip #1 : don't wear bib shorts.
    Tip #2: don't underestimate how easy it is to fall asleep whilst cycling when you're sleep deprived.
    Tip #3: eat real food, not sports/technical "food". You don't need to eat much at all, even over 24 hours. You're going to be in the fat burn zone all the time.

Cheers for those!

No bib-shorts due to friction on the shoulders etc is it?

Sleep on a bike. Had never really considered that. Would you have advice on ways to combat it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Come and visit http://www.audaxireland.org. Have a read of the articles under 'The Saddlebag' and then visit the calendar. Next 200k ride is in two weeks time and there are a whole bunch of rides through the summer including 2 400k and a 600k ride. These should take around 24-40 hours. Entry is open (and cheap) but you will need a Cycling Ireland license (Day licenses may be available on some rides). There is also no support, you are expected to be able to support yourself.

Lovely people though and plenty of advice to be had on long-distance riding...

600k in 24 hours is a fairly big ask. That's an average of 25kph end to end and is more like 30kph rolling with 4 hours of rest stops. My long distance rolling speed is around 20kph which translates into 30 hours rolling and add on about 6-8 hours rest time comes out around 36 or more hours.

Have you support following you or any such thing? If so, see can you get a loan of a camper van so you can have a (90 minute) sleep part way through.

Also, I don't understand the no bib shorts idea. I find them very handy.

Best of luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I think the current record is 18 hours it was done by a group that trained for over a year for the record attempt,the speed your trying to achieve would be much easier to do within a group that could meet with you along the way
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You could contact this chap via Strava - he did it in 23 hours.

http://www.strava.com/activities/22973968

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

You could contact this chap via Strava - he did it in 23 hours.

http://www.strava.com/activities/22973968

30 hours

Inquitus wrote: »
    30 hours
    Oops! Apologies. I didn't check the elapsed time. The 'non-stop' in the title of the ride and the 23 hours threw me. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Oops! Apologies. I didn't check the elapsed time. The 'non-stop' in the title of the ride and the 23 hours threw me. :o

Still super impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is the bib shorts thing about ease of undress?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Is it Joe Barr with the individual record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,053 ✭✭✭G1032

Raam wrote: »
    Is it Joe Barr with the individual record?

Don't know but I came across this before...

Padraig Marrey did it in a total time of 17 hours and 48 minutes according to the link below...
    An incredible average of 34.6km/hr

http://marreytrainingsystems.kk5.org/about-padraig/4517244269

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Lumen wrote: »

I would have thought its more to do with being able to pee on the go...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

Lumen wrote: »

yeah, in the middle of the night, whilst sleep deprived, getting freezing rapidly, in the rain, wearing multiple tops, and with your digestive system screaming "EXPIDITE" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For the boys, the front of the bibs will pull down enough to pee without undoing anything*. For the ladies, it's a different matter.

As for the alternative, a bit of planning will ensure there's a loo nearby...

*Well, you might want to take the gloves off...

Thanks for all the replies lads.

I will have two support cars travelling with us but the camper is a good idea alright.

Really looking forward to this ( I must be mad)!and hoping to meet up with endurance coach this week to get started properly.

Thinking of putting it out there that if lads along the route want to join a leg they could donate a Euro or 50c per kilometre or something like that.

I'll be putting all details on my website so I'll let ye know when it's up and you can follow my adventure. If you want to, that is!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

get in touch with Kilmallock cycling club and see if they can offer you any advice - 2 of their guys joined with another guy and a girl and did it last year for cancer research

http://www.limerickpost.ie/2013/05/23/mizen-to-malin-in-24-hours/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Who are you doing it with? I have been giving this massive consideration for years now. A good friend and I are giving thought to the 1st weekend in August to takcle this. We have only outline plans at present but hoping to develop them over the coming weeks.

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Who are you doing it with? I have been giving this massive consideration for years now. A good friend and I are giving thought to the 1st weekend in August to takcle this. We have only outline plans at present but hoping to develop them over the coming weeks.

It's just myself and a friend. Have been talking about it for a while and decided to get stuck in this year and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Shed.

Dave11 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies lads.

I will have two support cars travelling with us but the camper is a good idea alright.

Really looking forward to this ( I must be mad)!and hoping to meet up with endurance coach this week to get started properly.

Thinking of putting it out there that if lads along the route want to join a leg they could donate a Euro or 50c per kilometre or something like that.

I'll be putting all details on my website so I'll let ye know when it's up and you can follow my adventure. If you want to, that is!?
    So..... How did you get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Dave11 wrote: »
    Afternoon,

Firstly, I appreciate there many threads on the topic of Mizen-Malin but couldn't see much about non-stop runs so hope you don't mind another thread!

I'm undertaking this challenge in August of this year and have the route fairly sorted etc but just wondering if people could pass on their experiences in any endurance challenge similar in distance to this?

I'd really appreciate any stories/tips/pointers.

Dave

Contact the lads in Nigels cycles Galway. They did it in under 24 hours back in 2001. Group of them did it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Five lads from De Ronde van Cork cycling Club did it in under 24 hours last weekend (June Bank Holiday weekend).

youtheman wrote: »
    Five lads from De Ronde van Cork cycling Club did it in under 24 hours last weekend (June Bank Holiday weekend).
    Encountered them on the same route myself. De Ronde also had a group doing it over several days and our paths crossed several times. (They have one of the best club jerseys out there).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

youtheman wrote: »

Didn't a group of them cycle nonstop to Belfast too to get to the start of the giro in 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Weepsie wrote: »
    Didn't a group of them cycle nonstop to Belfast too to get to the start of the giro in 2014?

Yes. And none of the three groups above have shut up about it since. Every f*cking coffee stop, 'did I ever tell you about the time....'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I only know about it as I've a contact whom I played football with many a moon ago through facebook who is a member of that club. I get more updates about that club than any other and I'm not even a member

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

fair play to you for taking on such a challenge, the fitnes side is one thing, the mental side of it when you are banjaxed is something you are going to have to look into.

best of luck with it.

Bloggsie wrote: »
    fair play to you for taking on such a challenge, the fitnes side is one thing, the mental side of it when you are banjaxed is something you are going to have to look into.

best of luck with it.
    It was planned for August 2014 (old thread!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Currently the record holder is Martin Rocks from Galway Cycle/Kilcooley Wheelers with a time of 22 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds, that's including stops I believe?

Link to article

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Yes. And none of the three groups above have shut up about it since. Every f*cking coffee stop, 'did I ever tell you about the time....'

It's not that we never shut up about it, we're just spreading the good word :-)

Cycling, it never gets easier, you just go furthur!!

Advertisement