Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mizen to Malin in 24hrs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

KT10 wrote: »
    Currently the record holder is Martin Rocks from Galway Cycle/Kilcooley Wheelers with a time of 22 hours, 29 minutes and 28 seconds, that's including stops I believe?

Link to article

Correct, the article covers it pretty well, but basically the time quoted was the elapsed time on the CI comm's watch from departing Mizen Head to arrival at Malin Head, and no allowances would have been made for breaks. Also worth noting that his time was for a solo effort (albeit with support), so no breaks sheltering behind other riders or similar, so a group (again perhaps requiring support) should be able to achieve something similar, though clip on aero bars might be of benefit for riders to be able to use when on the front, as I know Martin spent a good deal of time on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I thought Joe Barr took the three records last year, N-S, S-N and N-S-N

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

KT10 wrote: »
    ... that's including stops I believe?....]
    It would have to include stops, otherwise it wouldn't make any sense as someone could decide to take prolonged rest periods and therefore be fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think Joe did it a few months before Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

He did indeed set a round trip record, and potentially set each direction records at the time, but the above S-N one was set after his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Thanks for that. That's an impressive time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

Is this a new record, some time out of them:

https://www.strava.com/activities/613971546

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Thud wrote: »
    Is this a new record, some time out of them:

https://www.strava.com/activities/613971546

It's been flagged and rightly so, seems they got lost at some point and had some sort of vehicular assitance, if you look at the analysis below and corresponding route map at the time, you can see.

Either that or a bike change and the gps went in the back of the support van with the bike.

w5Vm30l.png

DFjU2yl.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Back of the car I would say but judging by the temp readings it was in there for a lot longer than the bit you've highlighted.

Savage effort either way fair play to them.

Spike in power at the point of temp drop would indicate a restart and bike swap after a break.

Advertisement