Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Running Auto Repair Business Outside Our House

Options
  • 23-03-2014 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

As mentioned above one of our neighbours seems to buy cars and vans, do them up and sell them on from outside in a shared car park. The set up is a gated car park at the front of our house which is the back of 4 neighbours houses (hope that makes sense)

Each summer one neighbour creates lots of noise and obstructions outside our house, he has a huge auto repair tow truck parked outside. I'm not sure how he gets away with using more than one parking space but he currently has the tow truck, a big refrigerated van and his own cars parked out the front. The refrigerated van has been sitting there all winter but he had it out blocking the gate entrance the other day whilst he fixed up the engine. It's so annoying each and everytime we want to exit we have to wait on him to move out of the way.

The nice weather today reminded me of how bad it gets. We can't open the windows with the noise of him revving engines, using generators and drills etc and cars coming and going. I can't take it this summer we have a new baby due in May so I need advice as to how to approach this situation should it get as bad as it usually does.

Any advice welcome, thanks in advance.

This is in the D15 area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

happypants wrote: »
    As mentioned above one of our neighbours seems to buy cars and vans, do them up and sell them on from outside in a shared car park. The set up is a gated car park at the front of our house which is the back of 4 neighbours houses (hope that makes sense)

Each summer one neighbour creates lots of noise and obstructions outside our house, he has a huge auto repair tow truck parked outside. I'm not sure how he gets away with using more than one parking space but he currently has the tow truck, a big refrigerated van and his own cars parked out the front. The refrigerated van has been sitting there all winter but he had it out blocking the gate entrance the other day whilst he fixed up the engine. It's so annoying each and everytime we want to exit we have to wait on him to move out of the way.

The nice weather today reminded me of how bad it gets. We can't open the windows with the noise of him revving engines, using generators and drills etc and cars coming and going. I can't take it this summer we have a new baby due in May so I need advice as to how to approach this situation should it get as bad as it usually does.

This is in the Tyrrelstown area.

Can you report him to the council? Is there not some law about running a business from a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭el pasco

This is in the Tyrrelstown area.

He may need to have planning permission if its a business
    Also is he tax complaint?
    Was about health and safety

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

dpt of the envoirnment, the noise pollution is the one that will be looked into fast, the others will have to wait in line, also you are luckey in a way, as he workes during the day, i am led to believe that they do not like to investigate complaints after normal buisness hours,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tyrellstown is all managed developments AFAIK? If so contact your management company. Leases should prohibit operating businesses from common area car parks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

Thanks for the replies, I'm not entirely sure if he's tax compliant and as far as I can see his hours vary, I remember last year when I worked night shifts it was a nightmare during the day trying to catch up on sleep but I presume there's nothing you can do about someone making noise during daytime hours?

There is a management company but they don't seem to do a whole lot in the area, there's burnt out bin sheds, street lights not working etc so I doubt they're very active.

We are in a bit of a rock and a hard place because the neighbour in question is actually quite friendly and p so I don't know if we should say something or else just report it, if we say something then report he will know it was us. Apart from this issue it's actually a nice area to live in, I would hate to create any animosity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for the replies, I'm not entirely sure if he's tax compliant and as far as I can see his hours vary, I remember last year when I worked night shifts it was a nightmare during the day trying to catch up on sleep but I presume there's nothing you can do about someone making noise during daytime hours?

There is a management company but they don't seem to do a whole lot in the area, there's burnt out bin sheds, street lights not working etc so I doubt they're very active.

We are in a bit of a rock and a hard place because the neighbour in question is actually quite friendly and p so I don't know if we should say something or else just report it, if we say something then report he will know it was us. Apart from this issue it's actually a nice area to live in, I would hate to create any animosity.

Worth phoning EPA; Environmental Protection folk. They have a 24 hour helpline and can make a local council act where any pollution is involved. I have used them when there was noise pollution etc. 1850365121

Has to be faced that yes there will be animosity if he is challenged. But if you want any peace what choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You need a licence to operate a business of this nature out of a house when it is change of use of the original planning etc. Your area is clearly designated residential.

Of course he is friendly OP! But being blocked into your house the whole time and the noise would drive any one spare. Sounds like a nightmare to me, I would pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Realistically you will have to bite the bullet IMO. It doesn't really matter if he knows who reported him, if he shouldn't be there, he shouldn't be there. Put yourself before worrying about annoying him.

Advertisement