Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast near DCU

Options
  • 23-03-2014 6:47pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is in the right place?

I'm up in DCU shortly over a weekend and wondered if there was anywhere nearby to get a breakfast. Looking for somewhere on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

We are staying in the Metro Hotel, Ballymun and hate paying hotel prices for food!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Andersons down in The Rise, just off Ballymun Road, is yummy! I live around there and go often, always delish! :)

http://www.andersons.ie/menus/&c=foodhall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

+ 1 for Andersons. Seriously yummy food. It is not near though, in the sense that you could walk to it in 5 mins from the hotel. It is a couple of miles away. You could walk (about 30 mins) drive, or jump on the no 4 bus that passes by. Get off at Griffith Ave and The Rise will be the first street on the left. There aren't a ton of sit down restaurants in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

If the op hates paying 'hotel prices' for food then Andersens will be far to expensive for them.

Eurospar in northwood have a sitdown area, just get a coffee and sausage sambo in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

IKEA do breakfast and its cheap. Its not amazing but I imagine its the same quality as hotel food

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

thanks for the info. Will look into those. Ikea will be perfect for the Sunday morning, just doesn't open early enough for the Saturday.

its looking like it might be eurospar for a butty on the way to DCU.

Its not so much as how much it costs, more how much its worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

On St Pappins Road there is a little french cafe that does very nice food, made in store. Its beside a pub, the Slipper I think.

Its opposite the Ballymun Road entrance to DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

ProudDUB wrote: »
    + 1 for Andersons. Seriously yummy food. It is not near though, in the sense that you could walk to it in 5 mins from the hotel. It is a couple of miles away. You could walk (about 30 mins) drive, or jump on the no 4 bus that passes by. Get off at Griffith Ave and The Rise will be the first street on the left. There aren't a ton of sit down restaurants in the area.

Jump on the 13 and it actually passes it, have to have eagle eyes though, it's off Griffith Avenue, on the left hand side.

There is a little café around by the Eurospar/Centra/Matt Weldon's strip right across from DCU that my housemates said was lovely.

Bandara wrote: »
    If the op hates paying 'hotel prices' for food then Andersens will be far to expensive for them.

Eurospar in northwood have a sitdown area, just get a coffee and sausage sambo in there

Yep, Andersons ain't exactly cheap, but at least it is very good grub. There is nothing worse than coughing up big bucks for a hotel brekkie, only to find it is lukewarm rashers/sossies/eggs that were cooked hours ago & have been sitting in a pool of grease, under a heat lamp, ever since. Yuk ! :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

€4 bfast including coffee @ Mickey D's, located in Gulliver retail park 5 minute walk from where you are staying , cut through Santry Avenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're going for a butty, there's a little catering business with a deli down the road from the metro that does a savage breakfast roll etc to go, its at the back of the ballymun shopping centre and you probably wouldnt see it unless you knew where to look

you have a spar in the robin hood business park that does has a deli and tables too

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭pale blue dot cotton

Ikea breakfast isn't bad and they'll even put it together for you. But you'll go in for a breakfast and leave with a lamp. Guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

for dcu you've got subway,closer to your hotel there is a very tasty and cheap greasy spoon inside ballymun shopping centre,if its still there.That's directly across the road from your hotel.also I've been told great things about the firehouse pizza place although i havnt ordered from them yet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

firehouse is good but it wouldn't be open morning's even if ya wanted pizza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I didnt like firehouse at all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I bloody love it, great value too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

for dcu you've got subway,closer to your hotel there is a very tasty and cheap greasy spoon inside ballymun shopping centre,if its still there.That's directly across the road from your hotel.also I've been told great things about the firehouse pizza place although i havnt ordered from them yet

Is there a subway in dcu?

discus wrote: »
    Is there a subway in dcu?

Yeah,they opened one across the road from the ballymun road entrance to dcu between Matt weldons(the slipper) and the spar shop.if the op is willing to hop on a bus smiths at crossguns bridge do a cracking breakfast,its a pub though so it only opens at 10.30 am

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LMN3

The restaurant at Sportslink (Furry Park - just beyond Northwood) does a very good Full Irish Breakfast (for €7 IIRC - including fried potatoes!). It's not too far away from the Metro Hotel either.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Where is Micky D's ?

• Advertisement

Sandraf wrote: »
    Where is Micky D's ?

In the Gulliver Retail Park, just up the road. Coming from the OP's hotel & Ballymun village, you head north going towards IKEA & the M50. There will be a Topaz petrol station on the right. Turn right there and the retail park is on the left, at the roundabout. McDonalds is in there. There is also a Eurospar or Mace type shop beside the McDonalds. They probably do some sort of breakfast roll, as there are a lot of businesses near by.

yep,within walking distance of op's hotel,the shop is a eurospar with a huge deli counter and opens very early,as is mc Donalds due to the amount of trucks coming in and out at all hours

Advertisement