Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Which action cam?

• 23-03-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

So with the summer coming and some big plans to do some of the beautiful roads in Switzerland I figure that it's time to invest in an action cam.

My first instinct was of course to go for the GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition but I've also read that the new Sony HDR-AS100v might be a contender which goes on sale in April. Obviously I can wait for its release (and will) but was hoping to get peoples opinion on here. A gimmick for the Sony would be to be able to show estimated speed which might be fun. I guess it may come down to how it minimises wind noise.

Anyone who has the GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition want to share their experiences?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkleo

I bought a GoPro 3 (not the + version) black from Amazon UK. Main activities mtb, trail running, some paddling, skiing (in cold weather battery lasts no more than 40 mins...) and some timelapse videos.
    I know nothing about the Sony camera, but so far I'm very happy with Gopro.

Also, if Sony camera has to be a very new release, that would be a good reason to purchase the gopro: it has already been tested and debugged ;)
    Only point for Sony could be if it has some kind of stabilization (Gopro videos can suffer from vibrations if not correctly mounted).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think the sony has image stabilisation alright. Just read the Go Pro 4 is to be released this summer as well. Gah, really dunno what to do now.

Apparently the GoPro3+ Black Edition has slightly better battery life but still not amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 corkleo

Story has it that when deciding about tech purchases, if you keep waiting for the next innovation, you'll get old without buying anything, so at some time you have to stop yourself from waiting :)
    Gopro hero3 black is great, and 3+ black it's even better. 3+ white and silver are great too, but they aren't that big deal compared to a 3black.
    3+ battery is actually better that 3, I and a friend of mine compared them. Also, it's smaller and lighter. Wind noise is perfectly handled with the waterproof case (it works as a filter, but you can still hear voices, music and sounds in the recordings).

In my opinion, Gopro is great, maybe Sony is better but I never tried it. Good luck and happy riding (and pay attention to the Swiss police ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I bought the Sony HDR-AS30V action cam last Christmas. Firstly ill comment on the image side of things. I record my commute (50 min ) at 1080 60p. The quality of this recording is amazing. Like you mentioned the Sony has image stabilizer which works very well. The gps overlay is very good. I haven't used it much because it takes more time for the pc to render it over the video.

As for battery life. I think Sony state a 2 1/2 hr battery life but to be honest I only get 1 3/4 hrs recording out of it. Maybe the cold weather has an affect on battery life. Ill be setting off for work at 3am & its going to be around zero degrees at this time. Im going to purchase another battery to extend recording time. If your going touring the swiss alps your going to need a number of batteries anyway.

As for wind noise, yeah its not great. To be honest, if you want good sound, engine/voice, your better off plugging in a separate mic to capture the sound.

Only negative thing so far is the fogging up of the waterproof case over the lens. I drilled 2 small holes in the case and this has worked a charm so far regarding fog.

One thing I didn't consider is the spec of my pc/laptop. A 50 min recording at 1080 60p usually takes to about 16 GB of space on the micro sd card. This can take about 30 mins to transfer to my pc which is a pain. So whatever cam you go for make sure your pc/laptop/mac is up to the job.

Pixmania have it down to 229 euro now which is a bargin considering the spec http://www.pixmania.ie/sports-cameras/sony-hdr-as30v-high-definition-sports-camera-spk-as2-waterproof-case-3-mounts/21738100-a.html

Im going to google the Sony HDR-AS100v now and compare specs.
    Any questions just ask away:)

Cheers for the replies. Interesting reading both your experiences with the varioud models.

I also appreciate that with any technology if you always wait then you'll never have any. I guess I'll buy one before i start the trips and see which of the two (or three) I'll get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

I bought a Contour ROAM 2 cheaply a few weeks ago, very happy with it, record my commute and spins in 720p at 60fps (it will do 1080p at 30fps but I think if its just for Youtube etc. 720p is plenty, also means less time transferring to PC and rendering).

If you can pick up a ROAM 1 you can upgrade it to a ROAM 2 with a simple firmware tweek, of course, I found this out AFTER I'd bought the ROAM 2. :rolleyes:

Have it mounted to my helmet and with its profile I don't even notice its there, unlike the GoPro I had before which acted like an air brake! :P

Does recording in different resolutions affect battery life?

Open to correction here but I don't think so, the main benefit is you'll be able to record more video per card due to smaller file size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Yes file will be bigger and require more resources to process.

Got myself a gopro3 black before Xmas. Awesome kit. You don't need any more of anything unless you are going pro...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I just picked up a HD Drift Ghost with a few extras.

If anyone is on the hunt i deffo have to recommend http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/

A chap in there Ross just customised a package deal for me as none of the deals on the website contained all the bits i wanted.

Savage service Lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

which ever you go wiht, give it and your mounts a good test befoe you leave, i took off last summer round europe and lost a lot of footage that was badly positioned (road/sky) or suffered from didgy mounting.
    If you not brininging a laptop, there is no way to review it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Notch000 wrote: »
    which ever you go wiht, give it and your mounts a good test befoe you leave, i took off last summer round europe and lost a lot of footage that was badly positioned (road/sky) or suffered from didgy mounting.
    If you not brininging a laptop, there is no way to review it.

Thats what is brilliant with the Go Pro app, stick it on your phone/tablet mount your camera and the feed is live on the device so you can see it and position it correctly before you leave. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Thats what is brilliant with the Go Pro app, stick it on your phone/tablet mount your camera and the feed is live on the device so you can see it and position it correctly before you leave. ;)
    Sony have the same kind of thing for their action cams.
    Playmemories is the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

try managing that with keeping a phone battery charged while on the road and camping

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Sony have the same kind of thing for their action cams.
    Playmemories is the app.
    Yeah its very handy for setting up a good view. There is a remote control/viewer available now also. I have no need for this though.

http://www.sony.ie/electronics/actioncam/rm-lvr1

try managing that with keeping a phone battery charged while on the road and camping

Well if the bike you ride has a power outlet then its quite easy TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well if the bike you ride has a power outlet then its quite easy TBH.

Stop showing off now Gary lol

Just because yours has one standard

nerrad1983 wrote: »
    Stop showing off now Gary lol

Just because yours has one standard

All NON HOOLIGAN bikes do m8...PMSL.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

:pac:
    Its only a matter of installing a dual USB outlet.
    Riding charges one battery and the other one is in the cam, or with 3 batteries its even easier, the batteries are tiny in those cams.
    Worth the hassle for the memories IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

KT10 wrote: »
    If you can pick up a ROAM 1 you can upgrade it to a ROAM 2 with a simple firmware tweek, of course, I found this out AFTER I'd bought the ROAM 2. :rolleyes:

Oh do tell. I've a Roam but fail to understand how to increase the fps recording without a hardware upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Pique wrote: »
    Oh do tell. I've a Roam but fail to understand how to increase the fps recording without a hardware upgrade.

I assume its the same as with certain CPU's in the old days. The hardware is there but the software limits its use. Quick software update and presto a upgraded camera .

Pique wrote: »
    Here you go: http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-pov-cameras/turn-your-contour-roam-into-contour-roam-2-a-858497.html

Decided to go with the Sony AS100VR. I was still on the fence this morning then noticed that it was on special (360chf (290 euro)instead of 440). Same price as the GoPro Hero3+ Black but with the remote wrist screen thrown in which made the decision easy.

Will post here how I find it for those interested once it arrives.

BKtje wrote: »
    Decided to go with the Sony AS100VR. I was still on the fence this morning then noticed that it was on special (360chf (290 euro)instead of 440). Same price as the GoPro Hero3+ Black but with the remote wrist screen thrown in which made the decision easy.

Will post here how I find it for those interested once it arrives.

Excellent. Post back results when you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Advertisement