Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Clásico | Real Madrid -v- Barcelona | 8.00pm SS1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tight at the top

Capturekjbh.jpg
    upload image online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

colly_06 wrote: »
    f4JRXLQ.jpg

:cool:

She looks like Marjorie from Game of Thrones - poor thing - I think I'll mentally comfort her when I head to bed later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

They flock to Messi at the final whistle, vindicated, his point proven, tonight he has won Barcelona the most important 3 points of their season, perhaps one of the biggest wins in the esteemed history of this squad. Tonight we have witnessed a Barcelona revival in a big game away from home, exorcising the ghosts of last season in such situations. It was a Clasico classic, a fantastic game, illuminated by a sublime Messi performance.

By the way I have to also single out Xavi Hernandez, my favourite ever Barcelona player, he turned back the clock tonight, I will admit that there was a tear in the eye towards the end. Marvellous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Fair result in the end really.

Thought the ref had a patchy performance but I felt he got most of the major decisions right or at least they were reasonable enough (a question of inches for Ronaldo's penalty).

I like this Real team a lot more than under the previous manager. I have a lot of time for Ancelotti.
    But I can't in good conscience support any team with Pepe on it.

He seems to straddle every single negative stereotype of footballers simultaneously.

He's a thug but without any decency or courage, utterly shameless in his cheating and generally a cancer on football.
    It's a pity he's such a good player. He'd have been ****ed off otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Fudge You wrote: »
    But if you are not lazy and realise that the penos were all correct, except madrid's. They were fouls in the box, therefore penos.

Soft yellows???? Have you ever read the laws of the game???

I dont think any of them were worthy of penalties. Madrid's was obviously outside the box while I still think Neymar dived for Barca's first. There was nothing in the second one either.

Do you really think that game warranted 7 yellows and 1 red? A lot of them were soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Can almost sense the disappointment in the lines of haters who were queueing up to deride everything to do with Spanish football.
    Fair dues I suppose to the handful who are sticking with their script despite 90 minutes with nothing much unsavoury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I must away. The majestic power of Real were unfairly demonised and ...etc etc etc.

I can't keep this up. its exhausting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Brilliant game the two barca pens were clearcut. The madrid one marginally outside the box but tough for the ref to judge that. I think some people had their mind made up before the game. A bit more theatrics than a PL match but great quality on display. Some Classicos have been tainted by diving etc not this one for me. Both teams just went for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

By the way I have to also single out Xavi Hernandez, my favourite ever Barcelona player, he turned back the clock tonight, I will admit that there was a tear in the eye towards the end. Marvellous.

I thought Iniesta was far better tonight myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

But if you are not lazy and realise that the penos were all correct, except madrid's. They were fouls in the box, therefore penos.

Soft yellows???? Have you ever read the laws of the game???

Ronaldo was outside the box, Neymar was offside and more interested in making contact with Ramos than scoring & Iniesta's was just soft!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great game until the penalty fest. So soft all three and 2 were dives, you wouldnt see them given in the premier league.

rob316 wrote: »
    Great game until the penalty fest. So soft all three and 2 were dives, you wouldnt see them given in the premier league.

They were all fouls and would've been given outside the box.

Absolute stonewallers every single one (bar the ref being a couple of inches off for Ronaldo's).

Dcully wrote: »
    I thought Iniesta was far better tonight myself.

More effective dribbling I agree that he was excellent tonight, his form has really gone up in the last month or two. At the heart of the side though was Xavi, under quite intense pressure at times, he set the tempo, he was always the outball, it was something approaching a masterclass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I dont think any of them were worthy of penalties. Madrid's was obviously outside the box while I still think Neymar dived for Barca's first. There was nothing in the second one either.

Do you really think that game warranted 7 yellows and 1 red? A lot of them were soft.

If its a foul in the box, then penalty.

Naymar made a meal of it, but slight contact, and a foul, so peno, and goalscoring opportunity so has to be red.

Yes, 7 yellows, there was plenty of fouls that deserved a yellow, like Modric's. Alonso got a yellow for talking. Pepe's was defo deserved....
    Fab's and Busquets were deserved too.

Barca second peno was a definite foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Thought the ref did alright tbh. The Ronaldo yellow seemed very harsh, and the Real penalty was outside the box, but other than that nothing major that he got wrong. Thought all three penalties were definite fouls.

Gbear wrote: »
    They were all fouls and would've been given outside the box.

Absolute stonewallers every single one (bar the ref being a couple of inches off for Ronaldo's).

Such minimal contact, ronaldo and neymar sold there "fouls" very well, your blind if you cant see that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

They flock to Messi at the final whistle, vindicated, his point proven, tonight he has won Barcelona the most important 3 points of their season, perhaps one of the biggest wins in the esteemed history of this squad. Tonight we have witnessed a Barcelona revival in a big game away from home, exorcising the ghosts of last season in such situations. It was a Clasico classic, a fantastic game, illuminated by a sublime Messi performance.

Messi wasn't sublime tonight... Don't know what your smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Iniesta's would be given. The other two were a disgrace and make a joke of the game and devalue all that was great in that match tonight.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ronaldo was outside the box, Neymar was offside and more interested in making contact with Ramos than scoring & Iniesta's was just soft!

Soft? it was a foul on Iniesta. So therefore a peno.
    Neymar did what gary neville talks about. He looked for it and conned the ref. Slight contact, and he went down. The offside is not the ref's fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

If its a foul in the box, then penalty.

Naymar made a meal of it, but slight contact, and a foul, so peno, and goalscoring opportunity so has to be red.

Yes, 7 yellows, there was plenty of fouls that deserved a yellow, like Modric's. Alonso got a yellow for talking. Pepe's was defo deserved....
    Fab's and Busquets were deserved too.

Barca second peno was a definite foul.

Guess we'll agree to disagree. For me, Neymar stuck his leg out to force contact and hit the deck. Iniesta went down as soon as anyone came near him. I dont think any of them were penalties but that cant be changed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Red Crow wrote: »

3 goals, an assist, and made the first penalty. Not bad now is it?

Such minimal contact, ronaldo and neymar sold there "fouls" very well, your blind if you cant see that.

There was plenty of contact for Neymars - Ramos banged into his left leg and tripped him up.

And Masch tripped Ronaldo.

Selling of fouls and how minimal contact there was are irrelevant.
    They were fouls. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ref had a good game in my eyes. Game was frantic at times. Ok Ronaldo was just outside the box but really hard to miss. Both Barca's penalties were penalties imo.

Fantastic game to watch. Can't wait until the Copa final. Really like watching Ancellotti's madrid. Not sure who deserved it but result suits us neutrals. Title is going to go right down the wire. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Red Crow wrote: »

Got a hattrick though didn't he.

Yes you would. There is so many examples. And you know there are. Look up gary neville vid on diving on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How many times has Sergio Ramos imploded in a big game for Real? It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

fullstop wrote: »
    Got a hattrick though didn't he.

Along with setting up Iniesta's goal and his jaw-dropping pass for Neymar's penalty. His runs were good, he pressed quite well, his passing was constantly clever, he was the obvious focal point of an attack that has scored 4 goals at the Bernabeu.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Enjoyed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What a bloody game. It's all in Atletico's hands now :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

elefant wrote: »
    Thought the ref did alright tbh. The Ronaldo yellow seemed very harsh, and the Real penalty was outside the box, but other than that nothing major that he got wrong. Thought all three penalties were definite fouls.

Missed the one on Bale when it was 3-3? Looked more a pen than the rest for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just watched all 3 penalty decisions again there.

First penalty - Definite contact on Ronaldo but clearly outside the box. Very soft penalty to give away.

Second Penalty - No real contact with the feet although there was a very, very slight (but deliberate) tug/brush by Ramos with Neymar's left shoulder. Neymar seemed to slow down hoping for contact. Not a penalty for me but some may argue differently.

Third Penalty - Iniesta had his arm on one of the Madrid defenders. He then poked it past the defender and it deflected off Alonso's legs out of reach.. There was slight contact with Alonso who had arrived late but nothing to really affect his run.
    Really soft for me. If that was a penalty then the foul on Bale earlier should have been given as well. Both lost the ball and went down.

All in all, a potentially great game that was overshadowed by a few refereeing decisions.

Gbear wrote: »
    There was plenty of contact for Neymars - Ramos banged into his left leg and tripped him up.

And Masch tripped Ronaldo.

Selling of fouls and how minimal contact there was are irrelevant.
    They were fouls. End of.

Its disheartening to see the best players in the world resort to throwing themselves on the ground to win football matches, Ramos barely any contact on neymar and he spins 360. Ronaldo is tripped outside the box and leapfrogs in mid air into the box.
    Its not good and makes the game ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Desperate referee really , what a game though best one in quite sometime.

Still all to play for in La Liga.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Still can't see Atleti going all the way, but I've really enjoyed the season they've had.

Its disheartening to see the best players in the world resort to throwing themselves on the ground to win football matches, Ramos barely any contact on neymar and he spins 360. Ronaldo is tripped outside the box and leapfrogs in mid air into the box.
    Its not good and makes the game ****e.

This is not the first match that something like this has happened.

• Advertisement

Still can't see Atleti going all the way, but I've really enjoyed the season they've had.

It sounds awful but they were out of Europe they'd have a really good chance.
    Squad depth is going to hurt them. :( But, we can still hope. Either way they'll have a significant impact in who gets the title on the final day. :D

To be fair to ronaldo he's got so much momentum he can't stop where he's been clipped by Alves. Exaggeration motion in the fall but even if he fell naturally he'd still have fallen inside the box.

This is not the first match that something like this has happened.

Of course it isnt and it was probably the tamest El Clasico in ages, its still really poor to watch though.
    First half was brilliant as good as half of football you will see this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

It's amazing how split people are on the ref's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

yea its great to see entertaining matches but the level of diving and cheating is a f**kin joke. they are a disgrace, its like the highest level of football and highest level of cheats and divers in one show. the likes of pepe and alves and probably 3r4 more are just a disgrace.

• Advertisement

Of course it isnt and it was probably the tamest El Clasico in ages, its still really poor to watch though.
    First half was brilliant as good as half of football you will see this season.

I couldnt take my eyes off it. I really enjoyed it, all of it. So many quality players on show. Can't wait for the cup final

fozz10 wrote: »
    yea its great to see entertaining matches but the level of diving and cheating is a f**kin joke. they are a disgrace, its like the highest level of football and highest level of cheats and divers in one show. the likes of pepe and alves and probably 3r4 more are just a disgrace.

Did you say that after watching the Liverpool utd match last week??? Very similar acutally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I thought he was pretty much spot on with all of them, except of course Ronaldo's one which was outside the box.

People have to remember that Spanish referees referee the game slightly differently.

It's unfair for people on here to hold the ref to Irish/British reffing standards.

The game's culture differs in each country.

I'm sure many Spaniards would be shocked to see what the likes of Pulis' Stoke could get away with in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

In fairness to him, the Ronaldo penalty was marginal.

I would have given the Neymar penalty in real time. From where he was standing you've got to wonder why Neymar would go down when he has a clear shot at goal.

fozz10 wrote: »

A part of me hates the theatrics and in that regard it's not as bad as the Madrid derby. However another part of really enjoys the stupidity and silliness of all. If you can be apathetic and just accept the game as being morally bankrupt and corrupt at the core, you can enjoy the spectacle. :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

miralize wrote: »
    Iniesta is just amazing.

certainly been to left foot shooting school recently anyway:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What a impossible job the ref has though. I'd say nearly all 22 players on show would cheat their way to any desicion. How is one man supposed to get everything right with just one view at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭fozz10

no i didnt. but I didnt see much of it. its not even the diving which is obviously a disgrace but it becomes hard to watch. sorry if i upset you that you had to be defensive over two spanish teams rolling around everytime they bump into each other. but I wasnt talking about any united liverpool game a week old i was on about the one i watched tonight

dfx- wrote: »
    certainly been to left foot shooting school recently anyway:pac:

Yeah, what's with that. He scores like mad with left boot lately!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

dubrov wrote: »
    In fairness to him, the Ronaldo penalty was marginal.

I would have given the Neymar penalty in real time. From where he was standing you've got to wonder why Neymar would go down when he has a clear shot at goal.

That was worrying, you'd expect to see a player of Neymar's potential show some killer instinct and stick that away rather than wait for contact.

• Advertisement
Advertisement