Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not learning in my job

Options
  • 23-03-2014 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work for a large financial multinational and on the face of it I have a pretty good job; pension,heathcare and I am not under massive pressure on a daily basis. I work in the IT division and work in VBA/Access and Excel.
    The trouble is I hate it with a passion. I used to work in a .NET role before this and even though the pay was crap I was never bored and I learnt an awful lot there.
    I had to leave it as the pay was so low that my lifestyle was non-existent (no disposable income). I actually knew this job would be boring but I had to take it as there was nothing else I could get. I went for interviews for more interesting, dev-type jobs but wasn't successful.
    The trouble is I like development but I am not much good at it. I have tried to improve by swotting up on things but there is just so much to learn.
    I have been in this job a year and have learnt absolutely zilch there. I have an interest in emerging technologies and in particular Javascript libraries such as AngulaJS and Backbone.I would love to learn more about them and put it into practise. I also want to know about ASP.NET MVC. I have delved into it in my spare time a little and have started an ASP.NET MVC project that I hope to put online eventually (I understand what MVC is about).I want to incorporate some of the Javascript libraries in there as well. I would actually like to make it a Single Page Application if I can.
    The trouble is I can't find the time to work on it. Like last weekend was St. Patrick's and I planned to work on for at least one of the days I had off.
    I didn't do anything on it on the Saturday as I was knackered and needed the rest. On Sunday my niece and nephew were visiting so I got nothing done. On Monday I finally got down to it but I was distracted by the GAA and the parades on TV.
    This week I planned to work on it but I have all my evenings filled up as well.
    Mon nite: tech meetup
    Tues nite: visit to a relative in hospital
    Wed nite: watching a GAA match
    Thurs nite; meeting some friends
    Fri nite is free but I am usually exhausted (I don't sleep well during the week)
    I was thinking of giving up the job and then I would be free to learn anything I wanted. It would be great; but I wouldn't have much money.
    I just get depressed when I see the profiles of other people I graduated with on LinkedIn and I see all the cool stuff they are doing.
    I did a website in AJAX/ASP.NET a few years ago and that helped me get the job I was in before this one (the .NET one). I was working at the time in a similar VBA job to this and it took up a lot of my spare time. I had very little time for exercise, hobbies, TV etc. and I am not sure I can do that again.
    The trouble is in IT your skills can get out of date very quickly and it takes time to get yourself back up to date.
    You might suggest telling my boss I am bored in the job but I don't think there is much point as there simply isn't the scope in the job to make it more interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Are there any options to apply for a transfer within your organisation to roles that would appeal to you? What have your performance ratings being for the year so far? If positive, that gives you more milage to request for a succesful transfer. Most multinationals finance companies have performance appraisal processes with start/mid/end of year goal setting and review meetings with your manager. Have you used these opportunities to discuss your desire to learn more or get more challenging tasks and assignments?

It is in your manager's interest that you are interested and happy in your job. Don't assume there is no scope to make the job more diverse or challenging. Let that be your manager's decision. I would also refrain from using words like boring or uninteresting. Use phrases like "wanting to up-skill" or "utilising skills from previous jobs", "seeking more challenging or demanding roles, tasks and assignments". Ask to sign up for training courses that may not necessarily be recommended but could have relevance to your current or developed role in the future. Good managers will admire that initiative from employees.

I have to admit that I see a few red flags in your post. You say you love development but aren't much good at it and use an excuse that there is too much to learn. This doesn't sit well with me and I wonder is it picked up on by interviewers. Usually, someone with a natural interest in something will have the capacity and enthusiasm to learn as much as possible about it and will not necessarily see the volume of knowledge needed as a drawback.

Finally, I see another red flag regarding your time management and organisational skills. You appear to be using some trivial and poor excuses as to why you cannot complete tasks you have set out. Distracted by parades and GAA on TV? Really? I wonder if this sort of work approach or ethic is also being picked up on in work and interviews. Are your managers reluctant to give you added responsibilities?

I apologise if I'm making assumptions here on the information you've provided but it's what I'm reading between the lines. If you're not happy in your current job and you've exhausted all avenues with your manager regarding upskilling or alternative roles within the organisation (which it appears you haven't), then I suggest you start applying for developer roles elsewhere because you are correct about the IT world moving at a rapid pace so skills do become outdated if not constantly reviewed and updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Distracted by parades and GAA on TV? Really? I wonder if this sort of work approach or ethic is also being picked up on in work and interviews.
    OP, I've had to make some sacrifices in my time. Result? I'm the most casual GAA follower even though St. Enda's GAA is down the road from me. TV? No time to watch anything on it really: I have homework to do from 2 courses I am doing at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I think this is fairly straight forward. You'll have to set some time aside to learn these new skills.

You can do this a number of ways - in the evenings or weekend on your own.

Through a certification path. Or talk to your boss, offer to take on more work so that you develop these skills.

Or it could be a combination of all three.

I think some of the reasons that you've given for not finding the time are questionable. If you want to do it, you'll figure out a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Are there any options to apply for a transfer within your organisation to roles that would appeal to you? What have your performance ratings being for the year so far? If positive, that gives you more milage to request for a succesful transfer.
    "Met expectations" was my last performance rating. I have only been there 12 months and we have a performance review every 6 months. The IT development work is done in another country.
    Most multinationals finance companies have performance appraisal processes with start/mid/end of year goal setting and review meetings with your manager. Have you used these opportunities to discuss your desire to learn more or get more challenging tasks and assignments?

It is in your manager's interest that you are interested and happy in your job.

Don't assume there is no scope to make the job more diverse or challenging. Let that be your manager's decision. I would also refrain from using words like boring or uninteresting. Use phrases like "wanting to up-skill" or "utilising skills from previous jobs", "seeking more challenging or demanding roles, tasks and assignments". Ask to sign up for training courses that may not necessarily be recommended but could have relevance to your current or developed role in the future. Good managers will admire that initiative from employees.
    We have a one-to-one every two weeks where he goes on with that stuff about "I want you to be satisfied in your work etc." I think it's all lip service to be honest. It's not an IT company so IT work is not it's main concern.
    I have to admit that I see a few red flags in your post. You say you love development but aren't much good at it and use an excuse that there is too much to learn. This doesn't sit well with me and I wonder is it picked up on by interviewers. Usually, someone with a natural interest in something will have the capacity and enthusiasm to learn as much as possible about it and will not necessarily see the volume of knowledge needed as a drawback.
    I'm not using it as an excuse, it is just frustrating that I could spend quite a lot of my spare time on a project like I did with the AJAX website and still only cover a fraction of what I need to know. You must remember when I go for interviews I am competing with guys that are doing the work that the job requires on a daily basis but I am only doing it in my spare time.
    Finally, I see another red flag regarding your time management and organisational skills. You appear to be using some trivial and poor excuses as to why you cannot complete tasks you have set out. Distracted by parades and GAA on TV? Really? I wonder if this sort of work approach or ethic is also being picked up on in work and interviews. Are your managers reluctant to give you added responsibilities?

I apologise if I'm making assumptions here on the information you've provided but it's what I'm reading between the lines. If you're not happy in your current job and you've exhausted all avenues with your manager regarding upskilling or alternative roles within the organisation (which it appears you haven't), then I suggest you start applying for developer roles elsewhere because you are correct about the IT world moving at a rapid pace so skills do become outdated if not constantly reviewed and updated.

When I did the website that got me the dev job I was in before this, I did give up a lot of my hobbies and free time to work on the site. I rushed home after work to work on it every evening. I don't know if I want to do that again. It takes a lot of time to do something really good in programming.
    I probably will do it (I have a few ideas already) but I don't see why I should give up living.
    I will work on it but I still have to find time for myself. I think that's important.

Advertisement