Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Forum.. Our sport and hobby

Options
  • 23-03-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

I have noticed less and less posting on this Our sports forum..
    Is this because of the maybe impending/illegal nonsense all out ban??
    I have read up a lot in the past 2 days of what seems to be suggested by Garda

Are people shying away from discussing and posting their tech and fun issues on here because of this?
    Just an observation hopefully I'm wrong.. I have personally spent 5 grand basically in the past 3 years on security , firearms, Licences, Club fee's safe's...
    This is getting annoying now. With no compensation ffs... Where has all this ****e come from ?, My club has spent good money upgrading their facilities.
    For what? to be forced to close down if the worst comes to the worst? and the good guys up there are left on the dole que?

I am very late coming in on all this and I know it has been discussed at length.
    But christ sake, has anyone an Idea are these new laws going to go thru??

one pissed of Mutha.. :mad:

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Steve012 wrote: »
    Is this because of the maybe impending/illegal nonsense all out ban??

I don't know about anyone else, but I've just been out shooting a bit more.

(Also, I used to work at Boards.ie and people would often say that this forum was getting quieter when the actual numbers of posts and posters were increasing. It's very hard to judge a forum just by looking at it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

; ) great answer!! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

Decent weather & a stretch in the evenings means more actual shooting than talking about it :)

yep all good!, just wanted to also know if anyone had any factual updates on this ridiculous ban??

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

yep all good!, just wanted to also know if anyone had any factual updates on this ridiculous ban??

Considering this thread has been quiet for a while there doesn't appear to even be any new rumours, never mind new facts.

• Advertisement

Cheers Conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nothing yet from the DoJ. Given what you might have heard on the news, I wouldn't expect us to be the Minister's top priority (and honestly, if we were, I'd be rather terrified because it'd mean we were for human shield role again).

As to numbers, it fluctuates every year, as seasons come and go in both hunting and target shooting, but even with these fluctuations, the average numbers are very large and continually increasing. A thread from 24 hours ago has had 400 views already, and this thread's had 60 in the last hour. Honestly, the actual numbers of viewers and readers we have are enormous. We get more people reading here in a day than read (say) the Digest in a year or two.

thanks Sparks .. may I ask are you mildly worried?

thanks Sparks .. may I ask are you mildly worried?

Nope. We've enough to worry about without making up problems. Show me the problem and I'll worry about it then...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above with the stretch in the evenings lads find themselves with daylight to burn after work. Also the better weather. I have been out myself as much as possible. The only difference being i've no work at the moment so spend some time on during the day.

As for the impending doom. No new word on it yet. Having bought a new rifle in the last week and looking at another i'm not the least bit concerned so the supposed massive changes would not be discouraging lads i'd imagine.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

A few points to consider:
    As the seasons have closed out I think there are just fewer threads from the hunting side. No doubt the fox hunters will start posting with lambing well under way.
    Pigeons over rape seem a bit slow (for me anyhow).

Maybe the clay shooters are feeling the pinch this year, chap I know reckons its the guts of €600 to compete in the league when adding up cartridges, entry fees, fuel and lunchs.

I will use this lull to save some more pennies for the onslaught of summers pigeon and into the open seasons.

No doubt there will be a flurry of activity in all sections as the months roll in. Just don't want to see too many firearms going in the for sale section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Heres a statement from the WDAI:

Clarification on the suggestion that proposals to amend firearm licensing in Ireland have been made

In recent weeks we received numerous queries from our deer stalkers regarding claims that proposals on firearm licensing had been made by An Garda Síochána to Minister for Justice, Equality and Defence Alan Shatter TD, requesting the banning of almost all currently licensed handguns and all semi-automatic shotguns, pump action shotguns, centre fire semi-automatic rifles, 30 calibre rifles. Further claims included that these proposals would affect a “great many game hunters and deer stalkers”.

We consulted with other national hunting organisations, none of whom had any knowledge of the alleged proposals. We then contacted the relevant persons in An Garda Síochánaand Department of Justice. From our discussions with them we understand at least six other national hunting organisations made similar enquiries. An Garda Síochána confirmed, while they are regularly in contact with Minister Shatter and the Department of Justice, Equality as is required under the Firearms Acts 1925 to 2009 3e, no proposals had been made by them.

The firearms policy unit of An Garda Síochána also informed us they were aware of a review by the Department of Justice on the licensing of restricted firearms. Both An Garda Síochána and the Department of Justice confirmed if any amendments were to be made to current firearm licensing this would involve a full consultation with all relevant stakeholders. Marion Walsh Executive Director at the Department of Justice & Equality and Minister Shatter also confirmed this in writing.

It is expected recommendations as a result of the current review will be made in due course regarding restricted firearms (Shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than three cartridges, long guns over .308 (7.62mm) calibre, rimfire rifles holding more than 10 rounds, all handguns other than air-operated firearms of 4.5mm (.177) calibre and those using .22 rimfire percussion ammunition and designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations as well as penetrating, explosive or incendiary ammunition, shotgun slugs and sabots were also declared restricted), which represents approx 1% of all licensed firearms. While we understand the distrust and issues that exist regarding our current firearm licensing, resulting in numerous court cases against An Garda Síochána and the ongoing ad hoc approach to the granting of firearm licenses to law abiding people, until such time as actual or any proposals are known it is a pointless exercise lobbying and only serves to unduly scare the hunting and shooting community, a view held by other national hunting organisations. Statements to suggest proposals have been made are causing further financial hardship to firearm dealers, as we are aware of a number of individuals who have put on hold or cancelled decisions to purchase firearms as a result of the alleging statements.

It should be noted there are a number of wide ranging proposals at an EU level regarding firearm licensing that will require a united approach from all hunting and shooting people, if adopted. When proposals are made, which we expect, that restrict or amend current licensed hunting or competition shooting our association will not be found wanting in our support for our fellow hunting and shooting organisations as part of our continued strong representation of our members and sport. Based on the responses we received and enquiries made, at this time we are satisfied no proposals have been made regarding firearm licensing and there is no threat to deer stalking or game hunting.

vixdname wrote: »
    Heres a statement from the WDAI:
    You might find this thread of interest: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057134512

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Cheers Sparks, yeah definitely interesting reading, I suppose we'll just have to wait it out and see what happens.

I find it hard to believe the stat given in the WDAI statement that all of the firearm types in question represent only 1% of all licensed firearms, seems pretty small to me.

Advertisement