Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's your essential kit/gadgets for working?

Options
  • 23-03-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

for me its ;

led headlamp

non-contact voltage tester

PITA doing anything without them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Battery drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

meercat wrote: »
    Battery drill.

ya definitely 3rd on my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A hammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

If i had to do a call out and just carry what i think would be essentials would be headtorch, 4 step ladder, test meters, my tengtools screwdriver/pliers set and a box that i have that contains mcbs, fuses, switch/socket/sfo plates, a shower pull cord etc and has a one person first aid kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭solargain

tool belt & ladder

• Advertisement

WikiHow wrote: »
    If i had to do a call out and just carry what i think would be essentials would be headtorch, 4 step ladder, test meters, my tengtools screwdriver/pliers set and a box that i have that contains mcbs, fuses, switch/socket/sfo plates, a shower pull cord etc and has a one person first aid kit.

would you go out without a non-contact tester?

would you go out without a non-contact tester?

I don't have one, i don't trust them any more, the last time i used one it nearly killed me, i was working on an oil cooker i used the tester to check that the power was off, it never lit but i got lit of the cooker when i starting pulling off a spade terminal on a stat. I stuck to the cooker for a few seconds worst shock i ever experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭markad1

Fluke meter, fluke meter, fluke meter, knipex pliers, screwdrivers and allenkeys.

I don't have one, i don't trust them any more, the last time i used one it nearly killed me, i was working on an oil cooker i used the tester to check that the power was off, it never lit but i got lit of the cooker when i starting pulling off a spade terminal on a stat. I stuck to the cooker for a few seconds worst shock i ever experienced.

well ok

but they're great for troubleshooting imo

not for proving power is dead...

not for proving power is dead...

Not much good proving for power present either, only one way to check for power and that is with a volt meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

fluke t5 600 i wound be lost without it
    knipex tool set
    little giant ladder

i got a new wiha screwdriver set its a great job
    http://www.wiha.com/england/Onlineshop/Screwdrivers4/Wiha-SoftFinish-R-electric-slimVario-Sets/2831T702-SoftFinish-R-electric-slimVario-starter-pack-slotted-Phillips-7-pcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Snips
    Pliers
    Terminal
    Driver
    Fluke meter
    Volt tick
    Insulating tape
    Connectors

They'd be the first things in my pocket on every job but obviously you'd add to it depending on what has to be done

Not much good proving for power present either, only one way to check for power and that is with a volt meter.

they're a troubleshooting aid

they don't prove anything either way

they don't prove anything either way

If they don't prove anything either way as you say that renders them useless no?

If they don't prove anything either way as you say that renders them useless no?
    no
    there's a difference between 'proving dead' and troubleshooting/fault-finding
    using a handy gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

A certain level of intuition is required when testing, not just test and grab. Multi meters are not perfect either.

Non contact testers I find very handy for indicating what mcb does a particular socket for example. It's a volt tick one I use. Has audible beeps to indicate power is present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

An apprentice.Great for getting into all those hard to reach places and going the shop :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

An iPhone/smartphone for so many reasons including but not limited to:
    • Torch
    • Camera (handy for jogging your memory about any aspect of a job)
    • Internet access, providing a wealth of information
    • Can be used for taking notes
    • Calculator
    • Can also be used to "call a friend" :D

smartphone camera

yes that's definitely another one that's useful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭maxamillius

fluke t5 600 i wound be lost without it
    knipex tool set
    little giant ladder

i got a new wiha screwdriver set its a great job
    http://www.wiha.com/england/Onlineshop/Screwdrivers4/Wiha-SoftFinish-R-electric-slimVario-Sets/2831T702-SoftFinish-R-electric-slimVario-starter-pack-slotted-Phillips-7-pcs

Where did ya pick up that driver looks great,do you have to carry the bits around separately or is there some sort of holder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

smartphone camera

yes that's definitely another one that's useful

Yeah, it also has the very handy (and free) "MultiConvert" app which converts from one unit to another, such as hp to kW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I find the camera handy for shoving up a downlight hole when I can't find the cable. Stick the LED light on, rotate till cable is found and Bob's your uncle... unless the cable isn't there :/

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Where did ya pick up that driver looks great,do you have to carry the bits around separately or is there some sort of holder?

a sales rep gave it to me as a sample
    the bits fit in the handel it pops up when you press the two tabs on the sides

its not the one in the link but looks kinda the same(bigger handel)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Seafox

Duct tape, Duct tape and more Duct tape.

If you can't fix it with Duct tape then you are not using enough of the stuff........

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

Seafox wrote: »

If you can't fix it with Duct tape then you are not using enough of the stuff........

brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

When I'm walking around site I've always got 10 spanner, 17 spanner, flat head, Philips, measuring tape, insulation tape and a pen!

Seafox wrote: »

Wait till you get introduced to cable ties. :)

Advertisement