Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Telescopic Radio Aerial

• 23-03-2014 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I want to open the base of this to see if I can attach a wire to get better reception.

The silver cover appears to slide up along the aerial.

Is it safe to remove this screw to remove the cover without bits falling off.

Photo0157_zpsd03647de.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

can you remove the antenna at the swivel, and attach the wire there.
    you could use enameled wire to stop the antenna going to ground if it touches anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

you could use enameled wire to stop the antenna going to ground if it touches anything.

Hi india, I'm using copper speaker cable heavy quality, not the light stuff is that ok.
    can you remove the antenna at the swivel, and attach the wire there.

I'll try that and see what reception is like. That pic above is crystal clear don't know why it loaded up to photobucket all blurred.:(

DSC00963_zps9379c373.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

if you undo the screw you will be able to pull out the whole antenna, but it will be difficult to attach the wire to the same point inside the plastic.
    if you remove the whip at the swivel point, you can loop the wire trough the hole, or crimp a small lug onto the cable and use the screw ro fix it to the stub.
    make your wire about 9 foot, seems to be an approx full wavelenght for 104 mhz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

The screw below the antenna is marked 'ant screw',
    Remove that and check to see if there are connections inside or just put the wire on to that screw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Unless your trying for better AM reception I wouldnt bother to be honost they are usually made to a 1/4 wavelength of 98mhz which is mid way across the spectrum.
    You could replace it with say a doublet or a rubber duck or even unscrew on the swivel and replace with a halfwave telescopic but better reception would not be guaranteed.
    Why not pop over to us on the hobby radio forum and ask away.
    And to answer your question
    Sometimes there is a little washer placed behind that screw but its only a plate with a wire soldered on so I would work away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement