Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner Questions

Options
  • 23-03-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Just started Archery today. Done my first field archery session with some trainers. It wasnt too bad they say im doing very well and have potential to be a good archer. In terms of bows I used .. I used an 18, 37 and 55 pound bows. I didnt like the 18 pound one. 37 was good but just a bit above what I can handle right now and 55 well .. Yeah. But the problem or at least I think it is .. When I draw back with my right hand .. My hand starts shaking as if struggling to keep the bow drawn back. I dont think it affected my accuracy much and certainly no one said anything about so I guess its normal? I wouldnt say Im weak anyways.. a 16 year old male .. Big build. Also what poundage bow should I start out with if I was to get a bow. Would 25 pounds be about right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

I would keep useing a lighter poundage until your form is right, If you are thinking about the draw everything else will go out the window. Someone better will maybe give you a better answer. Also 25lbs could be right or too light and until you have form buying a bow could be a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Well with the 18 pound bow my hand was still shaking but it was easier to pull back and I could easily hold it held back. Only problem is my arrows were extremely wobbly when I switched over. I was shooting fine with the 37 pound bow but was struggling to keep the draw on it at times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

I've seen beginners larger and stronger than me shake and struggle when drawing back bows that I would be able to draw effortlessly. Don't worry about it. Drawing a bow is something your body needs time to get used to.

I used a 25 pound bow when I was 14 so I'm guessing you'll manage it easily enough with practice. 37 is a bit heavy for a beginner.

If you want something stronger, you can always invest in new limbs, (where the power comes from) down the line.

If you only started shooting today then I'm guessing you're in no rush to buy a bow just yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I just started out a few months back - I bought a 32lb bow, however used the ranges gear while I waited for a new string.

First day, I was actually getting tired really fast with a 20lb bow, by the second session I had been practicing pulling and holding the 32lb one at home every day for 2 weeks and the 20lb now felt like a rubber band.

Its all about developing the required muscles for archery, and really means nothing that you are already in shape.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

At the moment your purpose is to learn form. Draw weight isn't a consideration and shouldn't be. Once your form is good you can see what weight you can manage to comfortably do the repetitions necessary to make that form second nature. Strength/bow-fitness is required in archery but only enough to suit whatever purpose you have in mind and then only if you are mastering the bow and not it you.

If you hit the centre of the target with a 18# or a 50# bow it is still the same score. If the 50# bow means you're shooting is not as good as it could be then you're over-bowed.

Starting too heavy will only slow your progress, people who start light quickly overtake those who start too heavy.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Hey Yall

Ya im all for a smaller poundage. I got started off on a higher poundage just due to my build. also I was wondering about aiming. I never got any clear instructions for aiming. I just pointed the arrow the general direction of the target and hoped for the best. What point should I use to aim at the target? Or should I just solely concentrate on a small spot on the target and let the brain do the aiming take itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

In my experience, no one can teach you to aim as every one is different. There are so, so many different methods that you will have to find one that works for you and stick with it. If you can learn to shoot instinctively, you won't even need to think about aiming. Me personally, the only thing I can do instinctively is judge distance. Then I take aim by using a method called gap shooting.
    The most important thing is to get your form right first and worry about aiming later. You will probably find that the more you work on your form, you will start to aim naturally anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Aiming methods can be controversial. The method you use can depend on whether you are left or right brained and what your requirements are.

If you are analytical then gap shooting, point of aim or string-walking work.

If you are more into intuition and 'feeling your shot' then 'instinctive' may be your choice.

The further you intend to shoot the more analytical you will need to be (IMO).

You can cut through all of this and just put a sight on your bow........... but as a barebow archer myself ...... that's too easy. :)

However, I'd agree with Lardy: "The most important thing is to get your form right first and worry about aiming later."

A poorly aimed shot will still hit the butt, a shot with poor form will miss the butt altogether.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement