Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative study essay help

• 23-03-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

my english teacher is never heavy on the negative criticism so i would really appreciate it if people would mind giving me some pointers on what to improve on in my answers. the question was something along the lines of 'our understanding of themes or issues is helped greatly by key moments'
    thanks! :)

Comparative Study: Theme or Issue

A) The texts that I have enthusiastically explored for my comparative study are ‘Juno & the Paycock’ written by Séan O’Casey and ‘I’m Not Scared’ directed by Gabriel Salvatores. I agree that our understanding of themes or issues is helped greatly by key moments. The theme of love is clearly present within both texts. Without a doubt, we see this theme of love develop in key moments throughout these two texts. There are many different forms of love, such as a mother’s love, a father’s love, a dedicated and loyal love and a ‘fair weather’ love. Comparing these narrative texts and their key moments have given me a clear insight into the many different ways and shapes of love.

From my interpretation of the texts, it is clear that a form of love found is a mother’s love. The mother’s love is self-denying and overcomes and faces problems much greater than themselves. In JATP this unyielding and selfless love Juno has for her children is evident throughout. It is particularly seen in the key moment when it is found out that Mary, her daughter, is pregnant with Bentham’s child. Bentham has returned to England and a word has not been heard from him since. Mary is alone. Her father Boyle has disowned her in disgrace but Juno stands by her. Juno, a hardworking woman with little to no money to her name, is willing to sacrifice everything to save and help her child. Juno says ‘If Mary goes, I’ll go with her’. This shows her extreme and strong love for her child. Similarly, in INT Ana becomes extremely angry and upset with Feliz when she finds out that he has hurt her son Michele. Throughout my viewing of the movie, I have gathered that Ana will never stand up for herself, but she will unquestionably stand up for her children. The key moment is when Ana becomes enraged at Feliz and begins to attack him because of what he did to her son. The theme of love is developed here as, much the same as in JATP, the mother is standing up to a problem much bigger than herself. Feliz obviously overpowers Ana but she never gives up her struggle. The mothers in both texts power and selfless determination are all driven by their love for their child.

From my understanding of both texts, I have discovered that love in the form of a fathers love is extremely present. The father’s love is very different in both texts. They are both in the same situation, their child is in danger and that danger is death. The both react, however in very different ways. In JATP, the key moment is the final scene in the play. Boyle and Joker come into the empty tenement room very, very drunk. Boyle is oblivious to what has happened, that his poor son Johnny has been shot and killed. It is this neglect and unawareness of his children that truly shows his lack of love or closeness for them. He is too self-obsessed to love anyone fully. This key moment closes the play with two ridiculous, stupid and loveless men. It gives the final development in the theme of love saying that there are some things love cannot overcome. Such as foolish men and careless fathers. Likewise in INS, the key moment is the final scene. However the fathers love seen is the reserve of that in JATP. Pino has accidentally shot his son Michele when he had intended to shoot the kidnapped child Fillipo. Upon realizing that he has hurt his own boy, the only thought on Pino’s mind is the safety and well being of Michele. He is torn apart with worry and concern as he cradles his injured son in his arms. Pino no longer cares about anything else. He forgets about trying to find Fillipo or the problems surrounding him, all he cares fir is Michele. The love and care for his child is evident.

My final point is on the development of a love that is completely and utterly selfless. This extremely selflessness is present in INT without a doubt. As soon as Michele learns of the life threatening danger Fillipo is under, he runs to save him without even stopping to think of the repercussions it may have on himself. Not only this but, in the key moment, Michele allows and helps Fillipo to go first over the gate. This leaves Fillipo trapped with no escape. Michele’s selflessness does not stop there. He then urges Fillipo to go on without him and to save himself. This sort of self-denying deed could only be done because of friendship and love. When life seems devoid of hope, Michele steps forward and saves the day. He is a brave, some may say foolish, little boy with a large, loving heart. This is the opposite of Joxer in JATP. Joker is extremely selfish and only cares about his own needs, wants and problems. This is very evident when Joker and Nugent gossip meanly about Boyle in Boyles very own home. They are discussing how Boyle has no money left and is in drowning in debt. Instead of trying to help his friend in need, Joxer is rude, inconsiderate and insincere. He is a friend of Boyles when it suits him, he is nothing at all like a true friend. He does not love Boyle or respect Boyle. He is a sly, irritating man who says what you want to hear. The two friendships show very different sides to love. JATP shows the falseness and pretense of love while in contrast INS portrays the true meaning of love and loyalty.

In conclusion, key moments in texts truly do develop important themes and issues. This is especially true in the case of the theme of love in the texts JATP and INS. The key moments show different aspects of love such as the trueness of love, the selflessness of love and the redemption of love.

b) The third text I studied was ‘Never Let Me Go’ by Kazuo Ishiguro. Through the examination of key moments it is clear that the theme of love is very much present. This is seen especially in the key moment just after Kathy H. and Tommy D. find out the falseness of the deferral rumors. They are heart broken, crushed. Yet they do not speak of their despair. They remain controlled and accepting as always. Then, when they are driving home, Tommy asks to be let out of the car. This is when the most heart wrenching and tear educing moment in the book happens, in my opinion. Tommy calmly exits the vehicle and walks away. Suddenly he begins to scream and cry in frustration. ‘Tommy’s figure, raging, shouting, flinging his fists and kicking out.’ Kathy rushes out and finds him. She embraces him in her arms and they stay there for what ‘seems like ages’. This also brings in the idea of the book title to ‘never let me go’.

This moment in the book develops a lot of different aspects on the theme of love. It develops the theme of the frustration of love. Tommy and Katy had very little time to be in love together due to the interference of Ruth. There is no surprised that tommy is frustrated. It begs the question is there a point in loving at all in this world? All it will lead to is despair and anger. Is love a wasted emotion in the cold hearted, seemingly hopeless world they are trapped in? When tommy screams and shout, he is showing his grievance and misery with this world. I like to think that love is not a waste here. Though their time together has been short, Tommy and Kathy love each other deeply and fully and that is a beautiful thing. Though this reason is simple and does not change their doomed situations, I think it answers the question. This scene has made me think about the theme of love an awful lot. The saying is true though, ‘it is better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.’

This scene also develops the theme of the dedication of love. When Kathy hears Tommys screams she rushes towards him. She thinks not of herself or the possible dangers. She only thinks of him. She is extremely concerned and worried for him. ‘I was probably close to panic’. When she sees him in his terrible rage she does not falter. She does not think of the last time she approached him while he was having a tantrum and he lashed out and hit her. Kathy thinks only of the now, and of her love for Tommy. Even when he trues to shake her off, Kathy holds on to him. She is determined to love him until the very end. I feel this is a metaphor for how she will hold onto him, even if just in her thoughts, forever. Death may try to separate them but it will not succeed. Their love is pure and immortal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

It might be worth your while sourcing a good grinds teacher, even just to hire them for one hour or two to go through your specific texts and to give constructive criticism/pointers on your essays.

Advertisement