Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

multi calibre pistol

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Dian Cecht wrote: »
    :eek:

That's robbery !

Thought only 5 round magazines were allowed?

Thinking back and checking out the website seems it might have been €55. Still saucy I know. There were 2 of us there so I might be confusing prices. They have different priced packages depending on what you want to do.

A friend wanted to give it a go and as I couldn't bring him to my own club we went there.

And they were definitely 10 round magazines. Well run place, plenty of instruction and emphasis on safety so I guess they have all the legalities sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Heckler wrote: »
    And they were definitely 10 round magazines. Well run place, plenty of instruction and emphasis on safety so I guess they have all the legalities sorted out.
    Not if they were 10 round magazines with 10 rounds in them. Are you sure they weren't 10 round magazines that had been plugged and only had five rounds in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Sparks wrote: »
    Not if they were 10 round magazines with 10 rounds in them. Are you sure they weren't 10 round magazines that had been plugged and only had five rounds in them?

If they were licensed as restricted firearms then the 10 round magazines would be legal. The whole magazine capacity thing is a bit daft really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

sfakiaman wrote: »
    If they were licensed as restricted firearms then the 10 round magazines would be legal. The whole magazine capacity thing is a bit daft really.

Ranges can't provide restricted firearms for a person to use unless that person has a licence for it.

If they were licensed as restricted firearms then the 10 round magazines would be legal.
    Yes, but letting someone rent them wouldn't be because of the restricted status (you can't have restricted firearms as club firearms).
    The whole magazine capacity thing is a bit daft really.
    If it's an argument you're looking for there, you're pushing on an open door...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Dian Cecht

So is it possible to have a 22lr pistol with a 10 round magazine licenced? I thought it was only with 5 round magazines.

Yes, but letting someone rent them wouldn't be because of the restricted status (you can't have restricted firearms as club firearms).

Didn't know that as my range do not rent out anything.

If it's an argument you're looking for there, you're pushing on an open door...

If I was looking for a argument about mag capacities I wouldn't be looking here:D

So is it possible to have a 22lr pistol with a 10 round magazine licenced? I thought it was only with 5 round magazines.
    Yes, you can have one (on a restricted licence), but the club can't (club firearms held on authorisations can't be restricted firearms).

If I was looking for a argument about mag capacities I wouldn't be looking here:D
    Oddly, I don't think you'd find much argument in justice.ie either, you'd have to go a bit further afield!

Oddly, I don't think you'd find much argument in justice.ie either, you'd have to go a bit further afield!

Denver, Colorado maybe, but who wants to argue with a bunch of pot heads.

• Advertisement

Not sure you'd have to go quite that far, some members of the Gardai would happily argue the point with you...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Only if it was licensed pre Nov. 2008. As no new applications for restricted short arms are being accepted. This includes .22lr pistols with anything over 5 round capacity as well as all other calibers.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

I know someone who has an over/under rifle/shotgun combination and requires two licences.
    It might be the case for your mate but it's wrong wrong wrong! One firearm should mean one licence!! Pure bull.
    It's not as if they're changing over the barrels! It's a static setup !!! ****ing Garda rules again IMO.

Zxthinger wrote: »
    It might be the case for your mate but it's wrong wrong wrong! One firearm should mean one licence!! Pure bull.
    No, it's right.
    It shouldn't be right, but the law's messed up.
    It's not as if they're changing over the barrels! It's a static setup !!! ****ing Garda rules again IMO.
    The starring gardai can't draft the law. You should be getting annoyed at the starring Minister for Justice (specifically McDowell and Aherne).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And they have already got a" Denver mag" of higher capacity than the banned 20 rounder .Its a 50 rounder and totally legal. Basically 5 10 rounders slotted into a piece of star shaped plastic:D Legal because they are all seperate 10 round mags. Fancy ,but were one of such a mind here electrical tape and two five rounders taped end to end would give you the same capacity ...Go figure..:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    And they have already got a" Denver mag" of higher capacity than the banned 20 rounder .Its a 50 rounder and totally legal. Basically 5 10 rounders slotted into a piece of star shaped plastic:D Legal because they are all seperate 10 round mags. Fancy ,but were one of such a mind here electrical tape and two five rounders taped end to end would give you the same capacity ...Go figure..:rolleyes:

Not very tactical ,

It won't sell if it ain't tacticool they yanks won't buy ,

On as side note its monstrous,

I'd take a surefire hicap magazine all 60 rounds at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

It looks like if I ever hop the pond I will have to leave my firearms at home.

Not necessarily. If the firearm you want to bring over is legal here and the reason you want to use it applies as here you may be able to use an International License. If you are planning on popping over just contact the local Garda station of where you're flying into ie: Shannon or Dublin Airport and ask to speak to the Firearms Officer. They will fill you in.

FYI

Police = An Garda Siochana
    Officer = Garda or Guard (English slang of Irish word)
    OfficerS = Gardai or Guards

There is one national police force in Ireland, we don't have Feds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lmklad wrote: »
    ......... you may be able to use an International License..............

There is no such thing, at least not here. You must have either a valid Irish firearms certificate or a visitor's permit (actually called a Non Resident) if you do not intend to stay/live here. If visiting this might be the way to go if you "must have" your own guns. If intending to move here you need to be a resident for a minimum of 6 months before you can apply. This includes Irish citizens returning.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement