Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone tried to hack into two of my email accounts last night

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Roquentin wrote: »
    Maybe the phone. That may be the weak link. Im not great at computers so, but i have avg and kaspersky anti virus and i would be careful about what i go onto on my computer. usually google news, sky news, amazon, a few forums. Legit stuff.

How would i check for key logger?

Just make sure that your AVG and Kaspersky is uptodate (you probably just need one of them two is kinda a lot!) - Run the full scan options, not just the quick scan. But it's very important to make sure the definitions that the virus scanner has are uptodate first.

Also, you should makes sure that Windows is fully uptodate - run the Windows Update on your PC.

Is your Android phone rooted or do you install software from sources other than the Google PlayStore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Just make sure that your AVG and Kaspersky is uptodate (you probably just need one of them two is kinda a lot!)

I had AVG and then got kaspersky cause they were all giving out about the free AVG and just left it on there. :)

Also, you should makes sure that Windows is fully uptodate - run the Windows Update on your PC.

Will do that now
    Is your Android phone rooted or do you install software from sources other than the Google PlayStore?

Dont know what am rooting means?

Dont install any apps or anything. Just browse the internet on it.

Could he not have guessed the password. If he new the city i was from and my date of birth, he would have gotten it in seconds.

I had AVG and then got kaspersky cause they were all giving out about the free AVG and just left it on there. :)

Will do that now

Dont know what am rooting means?

Dont install any apps or anything. Just browse the internet on it.

Could he not have guessed the password. If he new the city i was from and my date of birth, he would have gotten it in seconds.

If you don't know what rooting means, then you've probably not rooted it.

However, just make sure it's up to date too. Run Software update in the menus.. It's normally in the About menu in settings on android phones.

Other than that, just lock your accounts down with new passwords and make sure they're reasonably complicated ones (i.e. mix of letters, numbers, capitals/lower case and some odd symbols if you can remember them) If you need to write them down, do.. it's still better than having a weak password.

Also don't use passwords that could be easily guessed like based on your name or "password" or something like that!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If you don't know what rooting means, then you've probably not rooted it.

However, just make sure it's up to date too. Run Software update in the menus.. It's normally in the About menu in settings on android phones.

Other than that, just lock your accounts down with new passwords and make sure they're reasonably complicated ones (i.e. mix of letters, numbers, capitals/lower case and some odd symbols if you can remember them) If you need to write them down, do.. it's still better than having a weak password.

Sound. will do.

the email account is just for keeping in contact with people and getting confirmation emails from websites. Dont have paypal or anything of note on it.

Still it was strange getting the message from gmail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

But how did they get my password?

I think the Gmail message is misleading. I don't think it actually means that they had your password, AFAIK they are telling you that someone tried to hack your password.

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    I think the Gmail message is misleading. I don't think it actually means that they had your password, AFAIK they are telling you that someone tried to hack your password.

Oh ok. I spent the whole day in the fine weather changing every single password i had.

Sound anyhow

Just setup 2 Step verification and you'll never really have to worry about it again !

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Just setup 2 Step verification and you'll never really have to worry about it again !

Just did it today.

its handy out alright. Must tell the friends about it. Lets you sleep easier i suppose.

Advertisement