Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forestry Premium

• 23-03-2014 9:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭

I bought a plot of land (12 acres) with a 4.5 ha enclosed plot of forestry attached .It contains a mix of trees ,it was lowland rough grazing.The origional owner a fulltime farmer planted this plot about 10 years ago .Four years ago this farmer gave all of his lands, including the plot of forestry to his neice.
    She kept it for 2 years and drew down the foresry premium as a non farmer.
    I bought it off her and I applied for the forestry premium.I received €800 approx for 4.5ha .I am a fulltime farmer, when I enquired as to the low rate I was told that rate stays at the non farmer rate.

Any replies/advice appreciated .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Unfortunately I believe that this is the current situation

See http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/forestservicegeneralinformation/GUIDEtoCoOCoA29Feb12.pdf

14.2 (c) If the previous owner was paid premium at the (lower) non-farmer rate, that rate will apply to that plantation for the full term of the contract. The rate cannot be increased to the farmer rate even if the new applicant would otherwise qualify as a farmer or has that status under other schemes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

The premium goes down if bought by a non farmer but can never go back up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

fergus1001 wrote: »
    The premium goes down if bought by a non farmer but can never go back up !

It might be a possibility to argue for an exception in this case as the original owner was a farmer and presumably iniated the scheme on farming rates of premium.

Might be worthwhile at least checking this out.

Advertisement