Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Birthday cake! Help!

Options
  • 23-03-2014 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi there,I need help big time!
    Firstly I'm not someone who bakes cakes & I've decided to make my sons 1st birthday cake ... 😁
    What I need is a receipe for a sponge cake,can be chocolate... I've a 10 inch square cake tin.
    I'll be covering the cake in red sugar paste(bought) & putting an iced picture of Mickey Mouse on top.
    So what I need help with is
    1. receipe for a 10 inch sponge - do I have to do it twice to put Jam or chocolate in the middle ???
    2. Will the sugar paste have to go on top of creamed butter ??

Or does anyone have any recommendations ? 😊

Thanks in advance
    X

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

You'd be better off baking it twice (in two layers) as a 10 inch cake is pretty big so it'd be easier to sandwich them than to split it and a one layer big enough to split would take too long to bake, the outsides would be dried out by the time the middle is cooked.

I'm guessing you mean buttercream, not creamed butter? Yes it would need buttercream to make the icing stick, equal quantities of butter (very soft, and REAL butter) and sieved icing sugar and melted chocolate beaten really well, or if leaving out the butter it's double icing sugar to butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

You might be better off with a madeira cake (i.e. like a sponge cake but made with butter, giving you a denser cake) rather than a sponge seeing as you want to cover it in sugarpaste and the extra weight of the picture on top. A sponge cake would be quite delicate and I'd worry about the weight issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

A Victoria sponge style recipe is suitable, not a fatless sponge whisked type recipe, chocolate fudge recipe would suit too. The weight of the edible image is negligible when the cake is being covered in heavy sugarpaste anyway, that's the heavy bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Strip

Thank you all x

Advertisement