Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To dryline or not?

Options
  • 23-03-2014 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi There,

I am just commencing a new build (Bungalow with converted attic approx 210sqm downstairs, and ~90sqm up) with the following insulation spec.

200mm pumped cavity insulation
    400mm in flat attics
    150mm pur under the floor
    180mm frametherm on sloped roof sections and also between floors
    60mm pur slabs on all frame

We are also looking at underfloor heating on both floors with a 75mm fibre screed.

The house is also to be airtight with an HRV system.

My question is this, am I better off to have a 150mm cavity and then dryline internally, or have the 200m cavity as proposed and then just plaster the walls.

My thinking is that the internal leaf of blockwork adds to the thermal mass of the house and stores heat once it heats up, I know there's a thermal bridge directly down to the foundations but I'm not sure how much of a factor this would be. I also like the idea of having a solid wall to mount things to.

I'd like any opinions from people who've experience of this.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

1.The house is also to be airtight with an HRV system.

2.My question is this, am I better off to have a 150mm cavity and then dryline internally, or have the 200m cavity as proposed and then just plaster the walls.

3.My thinking is that the internal leaf of blockwork adds to the thermal mass of the house and stores heat once it heats up,

4.I know there's a thermal bridge directly down to the foundations but I'm not sure how much of a factor this would be.
    1. Good. What is your target for airtightness
    2. Keep insulation in one layer. Make sure tb's at opes are minimised
    3. Correct and will compliment a low temp heating system such as u/f.
    4. Have you considered a course of light weight blocks such as quinnlites to reduce the tb to founds?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

Thanks MicktheMan,

Aiming for under 3 on the airtightness.

How much of a factor is the under floor heating in deciding on this insulation method? If the heating system was via rads would it still be better to go for the single layer insulation do you think? Would the house be appreciably slower to heat up without the drylining in that scenario?

I hadn't thought about using quinnlites to minimise bridging downwards but its a very good suggestion, I'll ring them this morning to get an idea of specs and prices.

Thanks again.

M

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Aiming for under 3 on the airtightness.

How much of a factor is the under floor heating in deciding on this insulation method? If the heating system was via rads would it still be better to go for the single layer insulation do you think? Would the house be appreciably slower to heat up without the drylining in that scenario?

I hadn't thought about using quinnlites to minimise bridging downwards but its a very good suggestion, I'll ring them this morning to get an idea of specs and prices.
    • has your architect issued any of these details as part of the construction package???
    • are you self-building, if so have you taken account of everything here?

with modern HRV, UFH, renewable systems required under part L, your house will be ideally kept a constant temp, and therefore the argument dry-lining's 'quick heating up' is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭manaboutdog

BryanF wrote: »
    • has your architect issued any of these details as part of the construction package???
    • are you self-building, if so have you taken account of everything here?

with modern HRV, UFH, renewable systems required under part L, your house will be ideally kept a constant temp, and therefore the argument dry-lining's 'quick heating up' is irrelevant.

If you read my question, I was referring to a scenario that wouldn't have UFH, and instead using rads, and whether the lack of dry lining would appreciably slow down the time it takes to warm up the house due to the inner leaf absorbing heat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you read my question, I was referring to a scenario that wouldn't have UFH, and instead using rads, and whether the lack of dry lining would appreciably slow down the time it takes to warm up the house due to the inner leaf absorbing heat.
    If you read my answer you'd note I stated the obvious regarding building regs and the standard details provide by the DOE which show low thermal conductivity blocks at floor/rising wall level. This is something you or your architect seem to have missed. I'm therefore assuming you have a certain knowledge level when it comes to your drylining question. So I stated the shortest version of how a modern house might work, from a temp perspective.

Let me ask one more question, I'll take your answer on this as the actual level of detail you or your arch have gone to in designing your future home:
    in a 24hour period assuming a constant 0degs outside and the house is at say 21degs inside. how long will it take for the temp to drop by 1 deg of heat? assuming you turn off the rads/ufh or whatever means of delivering heat you intend having
    You'll hear no more from me. Have a nice day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Can I suggest a higher target for airtightness ? increasing this is, relatively speaking, a lower cost way to improve your BER and at the same time lower the cost to build (in terms of reducing the amount of insulation).

I appreciate the regs are poor in terms of airtightness with it's default values, but 3 is still something to improve on. More like 1.5 now. All other things being the same, the influence of airtightness on the BER is remarkable.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement