Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I didn't state that they won't try to track down people this infected person they came into contact with. They don't need to track down 'everyone this person came into contact with' like you stated.

to be honest I couldnt be arsed taking apart what you said. because whatever. but actually yes they do need to track down any person this person had contact with if they can. as many as possible. especially over the course of the two days when he should have been in hospital. of course they do.
    Red Pepper wrote: »
    you're rambling chief, have you been in contact with any West Africans or Texans recently?

am I now. think you might be many levels above my sh1t you are clearly speaking from a learned and studied position. you must be the boss. your contributions to the thread are not only factual and enlightening but important. not sure if Im worthy or not. you phuckin peon:D

anyways. is this guy even patient zero. lets hope he is, we shall see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW_jvTSNvxo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

MONROVIA, Liberia — A man who flew to Dallas and was later found to have the Ebola virus was identified by senior Liberian government officials on Wednesday as Thomas Eric Duncan, a resident of Monrovia in his mid-40s.

Mr. Duncan, the first person to develop symptoms outside Africa during the current epidemic, had direct contact with a woman stricken by Ebola on Sept. 15, just four days before he left Liberia for the United States, the woman’s parents and Mr. Duncan’s neighbors said.

In a pattern often seen here in Monrovia, the Liberian capital, the family of the woman, Marthalene Williams, 19, took her by taxi to a hospital with Mr. Duncan’s help on Sept. 15 after failing to get an ambulance, said her parents, Emmanuel and Amie Williams. She was convulsing and seven months pregnant, they said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/world/africa/ebola-victim-texas-thomas-eric-duncan.html?_r=1

And he didn't think to mention this when he went to the hospital?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Smidge wrote: »
    No problem :)

The gist was the investigation of claims that the US were preparing for a large scale outbreak of something pretty grim.
    I can't remember if they were new buildings or buildings previously used as prisons/detention centres that were visited by the people doing the investigation.
    The most certainly looked exactly like prisons one way or another, very high prison walls, barbed/razor wire(which was facing INWARDS to the facility) and two sets of fences surrounding the entire facility etc.

They were being run by Homeland Security and FEMA.
    A couple of these centres were visited by the reporters. The reporters were met by a stereotypical "CIA" type dude and a spokeswoman, a lady, in the longest report.
    It cut back before you see the conversation to the reporters walking around the site. You could walk through a wooded area around the boundary of the building(which seemed very big indeed).
    It was said by the spokeswoman that the centre was a "residential facility".
    When asked who would be housed there that would need that level of security, the spokes woman wouldn't respond and left with the "suit"

After leaving the facility, the reporters leave and are stopped and questioned by the police about their business at the faciilty.
    They are briefly questioned and then leave to go a few miles down the road to see a fenced in site surrounded by a wooded area. The site contains thousands upon thousands of stacked up "plastic grave liners". Coffins. With lids. That can accommodate up to 4 bodies. The site where the coffins are being "stored for peoples pre-needs" (as they say when they are told this, who the hell pre-needs that many coffins and lids?)is located on a railway line with direct access to both the storage/coffin place and it also runs directly into an airport.

Basically, at the conclusion of the vid, it asks the questions of why are FEMA preparing for something of this scale and what exactly is it they are preparing for.
    And the very next day after the reporters had visited both the "residential facility" and the storage site for the plastic sealable coffins, all of the coffins were loaded onto lorries and moved.

Guess its up to everyone to make up their own minds on it though :)

Why would the US government willingly kill off its taxpayer base? Which is what I get from this, that it's all pre-planned. The events of this have been somewhat unusual, all leading to the maximisation of spreading ebola but it seems to be a mixture of mistakes, coincidence and apathy. Certainly not enough is being done about it, its being 'let' spread shall we say. But what is there to gain from it apart from massive costs to the state and market turmoil? I guess some vested interests will profit from it, that's the idea? How could they get unaminous agreement from different factions/lobbies, something like this wouldn't go unnoticed in terms of budget spending? If big Pharma/military industrial complex wanted to make money out of a crisis wouldn't there be other less damaging ways to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Why would the US government willingly kill off its taxpayer base? Which is what I get from this, that it's all pre-planned. The events of this have been somewhat unusual, all leading to the maximisation of spreading ebola but it seems to be a mixture of mistakes, coincidence and apathy. Certainly not enough is being done about it, its being 'let' spread shall we say. But what is there to gain from it apart from massive costs to the state and market turmoil?

That wasn't what I took from watching it or my account of it in my post.
    It was that they were preparing for an outbreak.

Why would the US government willingly kill off its taxpayer base? Which is what I get from this, that it's all pre-planned. The events of this have been somewhat unusual, all leading to the maximisation of spreading ebola but it seems to be a mixture of mistakes, coincidence and apathy. Certainly not enough is being done about it, its being 'let' spread shall we say. But what is there to gain from it apart from massive costs to the state and market turmoil? I guess some vested interests will profit from it, that's the idea? How could they get unaminous agreement from different factions/lobbies, something like this wouldn't go unnoticed in terms of budget spending? If big Pharma/military industrial complex wanted to make money out of a crisis wouldn't there be other less damaging ways to do it?
    Smidge wrote: »
    That wasn't what I took from watching it or my account of it in my post.
    It was that they were preparing for an outbreak.

I think they probably are just preparing for an outbreak. It doesn't mean they expect it to reach worse case scenario but they need to be somewhat ready for that eventuality. They are hardly going to spend millions of dollars sending 3,000 troops to Africa and not do anything at home.

From what I have read, the conspiracy theory is that this is a planned release of ebola, by the illuminati of course, which will reduce the worlds population by up to 90%. I haven't seen anyone proposing a reason why why they would do this. It does seem a bit counter productive to kill off your main cash cow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

WakeUp wrote: »
    to be honest I couldnt be arsed taking apart what you said. because whatever.

Unassailable logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Well this is not good news...

From RTE Web site..

Ebola infection rate outstripping health supplies

People in Sierra Leone are being infected with Ebola at the rate of five every hour, according to the charity Save the Children. It said 765 new cases were reported last week and the rate of infection means healthcare demands are far outstripping supply.

Unassailable logic.

logic you say, ok. I'd really rather not do this but if you want to we can. shall we leave this and move on or shall we go there?..you tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Well this is not good news...

From RTE Web site..

Not really that surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

So the latest I've read about the guy in the US is that on the 24th he began to show symptoms.

Then on the 26th he attended hospital - was asked (by a nurse via questionaire) if he had recently travelled from Africa - replied yes, but apparently there was miscommunication (not unusual in hospitals) of what it transpires wasn't just your usual "Any known allergies" question, but turned out to be critical info.

So he was sent home and told he likely had some minor viral infection i.e. a cold/flu.

After he was sent home (having previously had been contagious for 2 days approx.) he remained in the open, exhibiting symptoms, and therefore contagious for another 2 days, during which time he apparently had contact with a number of schoolchildren. Perhaps he's a teacher or works in the Canteen of School - who knows?

What a mess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Measles killed 122,000 in 2012.

Ebola has killed a few thousand.

Don't feed the hype.

And keep washing your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Don't feed the hype.

Measles shouldn't even be an issue and it wouldn't if everyone vaccinated.

PucaMama wrote: »
    Measles shouldn't even be an issue and it wouldn't if everyone vaccinated.

Correct

Don't feed the hype.

You can't compare measles to Ebola. Ebola has killed a few thousand so far no one knows how many people are actually infected or where this is going to end. wanting to know what's going on and talking about it is just that. it isn't feeding the hype. it's wanting to know what's going on. you seem to have it all figured out - wash your hands - are you a virologist then or an epidemiologist ? you have a PhD in what exactly...people are talking about what is going on if the content of the thread is bothering you which it appears it might be then I would suggest not reading it.

so this guy in Dallas and his family may have come into contact with up to 80 people. this is the number they have come out with today.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-02/american-ebola-news-wrap-80-potential-cases-texas-1-hawaii

You can't compare measles to Ebola. Ebola has killed a few thousand so far no one knows how many people are actually infected or where this is going to end. wanting to know what's going on and talking about it is just that. it isn't feeding the hype. it's wanting to know what's going on. you seem to have it all figured out - wash your hands - are you a virologist then or an epidemiologist ? you have a PhD in what exactly...people are talking about what is going on if the content of the thread is bothering you which it appears it might be then I would suggest not reading it.

Please calm yourself. Do you need a PhD to post here? I am saying we need perspective and I am saying that this ebola outbreak will be contained like the previous outbreaks. The case in the USA will be resolved very quickly.

Please calm yourself. Do you need a PhD to post here? I am saying we need perspective and I am saying that this ebola outbreak will be contained like the previous outbreaks. The case in the USA will be resolved very quickly.

I'm perfectly calm I can talk about what's going on . can you. without getting humpy. it's actually yourself and one or two others on this thread who are being touchy and humpy about things. take a look at yourself there. this isn't like other outbreaks though is it, obviously. are you paying attention. and you know this will be resolved "quickly" how?..how do you know that? we all hope it will but you can't state that for sure. If they can identify all the people this person came into contact with I'm confident they can contain it. don't spread the hype wash your hands is what you said. I asked you what your qualification was as stating something like that would indicate you have it all worked out and know what you're talking about. the professionals , of which I know now, you aren't one don't even have this figured out yet.

I'm perfectly calm I can talk about what's going on . can you. without getting humpy. it's actually yourself and one or two others on this thread who are being touchy and humpy about things. take a look at yourself there. this isn't like other outbreaks though is it, obviously. are you paying attention. and you know this will be resolved "quickly" how?..how do you know that? we all hope it will but you can't state that for sure. If they can identify all the people this person came into contact with I'm confident they can contain it. don't spread the hype wash your hands is what you said. I asked you what your qualification was as stating something like that would indicate you have it all worked out and know what you're talking about. the professionals , of which I know now, you aren't one don't even have this figured out yet.

Oh my, are you 12? And this is the calm you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The CDC confirmed the first U.S. case of Ebola in Texas on Tuesday. During a press briefing, Director Tom Frieden said he has "no doubt" that the case of the virus will be controlled.

Dr. Joseph Fair, virologist and senior advisor at Fondation Mérieux—a France-based family foundation dedicated to fighting infectious diseases—told CNBC in a phone conversation that the U.S. is"extremely well equipped" to manage the case and there no reason for concern at this point.
    Fair told CNBC that, at the moment there's no reason to talk about what further precautions the general public should take to combat the disease - other than the usual precautions like washing your hands and other basic hygiene principals.
    Right now we are not worried about it spreading in the U .S . beyond this individual and possibly his close contacts. There will be 21-day monitoring period for those people.

Oh my, are you 12? And this is the calm you.

seriously. this is what you're resorting too. puerile and pathetic. you've outdone yourself here. well done.

I'm not reassured about the US's effectiveness at dealing with this potential outbreak.

The fact is that despite their verbal "assurances" that they will have no problem containing the virus, when the first person with Ebola admitted himself to hospital admitting he was recently returned from Liberia, the procedures in place (presumably) were rendered ineffective by a simple, and all too common clerical error.

He was then allowed to walk out of the hospital and remain in contact with the general public for 2 more days (having already been contagious for the 2 previous days, when he began to show symptoms).

The 80 people identified as having come into contact with that man can only be a (hopefully accurate) estimate, as the man must be at this stage in a very serious condition, and I in my currently healthy state could not tell anybody where exactly I have been, and who exactly I've met in the last two days - I'd definitely forget some minor encounters.

So when the US experts say there is nothing to worry about, I'm not worried, but simply because I don't live in Texas - If I was in Texas now - I'd be very worried very worried indeed, and all the more so every time an expert is marched to the centre-stage to pronounce "Everything is under control - there is no need to worry!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

littlemac, that is your opinion. If I lived in Texas, I wouldn't be the least bit worried. I bet you're a Walking Dead fan though. :)

Birroc wrote: »
    littlemac, that is your opinion. If I lived in Texas, I wouldn't be the least bit worried. I bet you're a Walking Dead fan though. :)

I like the comic - the TV show is utter non-sense. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

The Chicken Licken brigade will have the Texans shooting each other with all the panic.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    The Chicken Licken brigade will have the Texans shooting each other more with all the panic.

Think you left out a word. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Think you left out a word. :D

Remember the Alamo!

No, it doesn't seem like this has been handled well at all. Apparently the guys nephew was the one that called the CDC because he wasn't happy with the care from the hospital. It just shows how the US system handles people who are uninsured.

He was also seen vomiting outside his apartment building which his family were still living in as of yesterday at least. Doctors and laboratories need to be fully decontaminated after being in contact with ebola but let's just send a whole family back to a place where a guy has been vomiting Ebola virus for a couple of days. What could go wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Things have just got serious if it has hit the u.s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Who ate all the ZMapp?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beef Curtains

The Americans won't murder health workers or break people out of quarantine or insist on washing the bodies of the dead. It's not going to spread.

• Advertisement

The Americans won't murder health workers or break people out of quarantine or insist on washing the bodies of the dead. It's not going to spread.

I'm really sick of hearing this. America isn't immune to disease spreading. Just this one case has shown that the healthcare system isn't as top notch as they think. They are monitoring 80 people who were in contact with the infected man. How many people have they been in contact with? That's how it spreads, you don't need to wash dead bodies. It's likely that there will be at least a small number of further cases.

Advertisement