Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Beef Curtains

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm really sick of hearing this. America isn't immune to disease spreading. Just this one case has shown that the healthcare system isn't as top notch as they think. They are monitoring 80 people who were in contact with the infected man. How many people have they been in contact with? That's how it spreads, you don't need to wash dead bodies. It's likely that there will be at least a small number of further cases.

No its not immune and there might be further infections but there isn't going to be a terrible epidemic in America, or indeed any developed country.

The reason its so bad in Liberia etc is due to a non existent health system and an ignorant population that thinks ebola is being spread by the white man and that the local witch doctor has the cure.

If ramshackle countries like Nigeria and Senegal can contain it, then ebola doesn't have a chance in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Things have just got serious if it has hit the u.s

No they havent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

What the hell is it with people coming in and saying there is nothing to worry about? Ebola is in America. If that was proposed last week the same people would have scoffed at such a ridiculous notion. Not to mention that it seems to have been handled and currently still being handled shambolically. Some people really will just swallow PR without even thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Peist2007 wrote: »
    What the hell is it with people coming in and saying there is nothing to worry about? Ebola is in America. If that was proposed last week the same people would have scoffed at such a ridiculous notion. Not to mention that it seems to have been handled and currently still being handled shambolically. Some people really will just swallow PR without even thinking

Someone with ebola flew to America. Hardly a ridiculous notion.
    I am sure sick people fly to America every minute.
    It's how they deal with it and they clearly know how to unlike the countries in West Africa.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I am sure sick people fly to America every minute.
    It's how they deal with it and they clearly know how to unlike the countries in West Africa.

Yes but then he spend 2 days misdiagnosed amongst the general population. Are you feeling alright? Ebola exposed in the general populace is a massive issue. The fact remains now that there are people out there who were in contact with this guy and are possibly only starting to display flu symptoms. The bold bit tells me you're either stupid or there is some other agenda at play.

• Advertisement

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Yes but then he spend 2 days misdiagnosed amongst the general population. Are you feeling alright? Ebola exposed in the general populace is a massive issue. The fact remains now that there are people out there who were in contact with this guy and are possibly only starting to display flu symptoms. The bold bit tells me you're either stupid or there is some other agenda at play.

Well that has happened in Africa since 1976 and we're still here and there's no vaccine. Maybe American lives are worth more than Africans so that might change...

The bold bits highlights the section of the post I am replying to...I am not stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Well that has happened in Africa since 1976 and we're still here and there's no vaccine. Maybe American lives are worth more than Africans so that might change...

The bold bits highlights the section of the post I am replying to...I am not stupid.

Well said Sir and you're right - The ebola patient getting all the way to the U S of A might well expedite the vaccine. Watch that space; Big Pharma to the rescue, there is big money to be made on panic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

And the airplane Bru-Iad would've flown over Ireland :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

but this isn't like any other outbreak. so it can't be compared to other outbreaks .you're aware of what is happening in Africa right? and how Ebola may become endemic to the population. how no one fully knows how many people are actually infected. this could take years to get under control. and not it's traveled continents. do you know what an RNA virus is and why they are so hard to fight. what use is a vaccine against a virus that is continually mutating . Ebola is a filovirus. do you know what exponential means? have you seen some of the figures and projections from some of the scientists with regard to future case rates if this isn't brought under control. Ebola is a level 4 bio agent. in our part of the world it isn't to be feared per as but certainly respected and taken seriously. and not just played down with a sure it'll be grand type attitude. panicking is the worst thing anyone could do . though ignoring it and sticking our heads in the sand is just as bad. as that when sh1t happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Doff

Its all just propoganda used to promote the new series of the Walking Dead

• Advertisement

Now you're moving the argument to whether American lives or African lives mean more. Not what we were talking about. Nice try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

For those who are sure it couldn't spread in a developed country like America, you should read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. The USA had Ebola in a primate facility just outside Washington Dc in 1989 and it was 2 months before they realised and took action. By that time a good number of people had been infected and it was just luck that the particular strain had minimal effect on humans (it was killing monkeys in droves).
    Granted, Ebola was relatively unknown still at that time but the CDC and the military were familiar with it. Also, if it had been killing humans they would have acted faster I'm sure. There were numerous mistakes made that would have been catastrophic if it had been a strain like Ebola Zaire. When they diagnosed one man as having Ebola, before they knew that it wasn't lethal in humans, the CDC put him in a public hospital to treat him. Google Ebola Reston.

Controlling these diseases is extremely difficult because people are unpredictable and make mistakes. The fact that there is no vaccine and no cure makes Ebola all the more dangerous. It would be naive for anyone to say an American outbreak is not possible. They are better prepared than West African countries for sure but even best laid plans can go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

For those who are sure it couldn't spread in a developed country like America, you should read "The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston. The USA had Ebola in a primate facility just outside Washington Dc in 1989 and it was 2 months before they realised and took action. By that time a good number of people had been infected and it was just luck that the particular strain had minimal effect on humans (it was killing monkeys in droves).
    Granted, Ebola was relatively unknown still at that time but the CDC and the military were familiar with it. Also, if it had been killing humans they would have acted faster I'm sure. There were numerous mistakes made that would have been catastrophic if it had been a strain like Ebola Zaire. When they diagnosed one man as having Ebola, before they knew that it wasn't lethal in humans, the CDC put him in a public hospital to treat him. Google Ebola Reston. .

Small points, but the man was already in hospital because he had a heart attack before anyone knew there was even ebola in the facility from what I remember. One worker cut his finger while performing an autopsy on an infected monkey and was immediately placed in quarantine for 21 days. It could have catastrophic but it wouldn't have been down to the handling of it. As soon as they knew it was ebola, the place was locked down.

FFS, apparently, according to the mans partner, the same sheets he slept upon, are still on the ****ing bed. Mind boggling. That whole place should be scrubbed down. The man was vomiting sweating in the apartment for days. Towels he used are in plastic bags still in her apartment CDC are aware of all this.

:confused:

CNN's Anderson Cooper talks about it here, he was speaking over the phone to the woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f8KIiKx3jc

Jake1 wrote: »
    FFS, apparently, according to the mans partner, the same sheets he slept upon, are still on the ****ing bed. Mind boggling. That whole place should be scrubbed down. The man was vomiting sweating in the apartment for days. Towels he used are in plastic bags still in her apartment CDC are aware of all this.

CNN's Anderson Cooper talks about it here, he was speaking over the phone to the woman

Ffs why didn't she just change the sheets herself and start cleaning the place up with bleach? Did she think to herself 'well the CDC haven't come to change the bed so I'll just sleep in these ebola sweat soaked sheets until then. Be grand.' Bizarre.

I wonder if the vomit on the street outside was cleaned up. It doesn't seem likely.

I would be bleaching down everything if that was me. Jayes fluid too ,JIC

I wonder though, how or where she is expected to dispose of these items? I mean, she cant exactly just throw them in the dumpster when shes out of quarantine. They need to be classed as medical waste, one would think.

I would be bleaching down everything if that was me. Jayes fluid too ,JIC

I wonder though, how or where she is expected to dispose of these items? I mean, she cant exactly just throw them in the dumpster when shes out of quarantine. They need to be classed as medical waste, one would think.

There was just a press conference. They are sending a waste disposal company to clean the apartment.

According to the officials they have had to legally order the family to remain in the apartment because they weren't complying with advice to self isolate. They were going outside and the kids were even sent to school after they knew the man staying there had ebola. They sound like idiots tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭miss tickle

Ffs why didn't she just change the sheets herself and start cleaning the place up with bleach? Did she think to herself 'well the CDC haven't come to change the bed so I'll just sleep in these ebola sweat soaked sheets until then. Be grand.' Bizarre.

I wonder if the vomit on the street outside was cleaned up. It doesn't seem likely.

This is such BS, they apparently could previously take such effective pre-cautions to provide two separate fully equipped airplanes to evacuate two people with this condition out of a hot zone to the US and install them in isolation facilities,( both on route and when they reached their destination) , but find it difficult to isolate and properly cleanse, the environment of a victim on their own soil. Why are his family who were in contact him, and are in contact with his contaminated belongings not quarantined. There is no indication that they will not comply. There is a smelly smell here, that smells smelly, and it is not the sheets.

This is such BS, they apparently could previously take such effective pre-cautions to provide two separate fully equipped airplanes to evacuate two people with this condition out of a hot zone to the US and install them in isolation facilities,( both on route and when they reached their destination) , but find it difficult to isolate and properly cleanse, the environment of a victim on their own soil. Why are his family who were in contact him, and are in contact with his contaminated belongings not quarantined. There is no indication that they will not comply. There is a smelly smell here, that smells smelly, and it is not the sheets.

It's weird. At the press conference earlier someone tried to ask why were the people still at the apartment and not a hospital and they didn't answer. There have been pictures of a neighbour outside cleaning the vomit that had been there since Sunday. Using a power washer, totally unprotected. I wouldn't want that splashing anywhere near me :eek:

Why was this allowed? If you read the Hot Zone you will see the lengths they go to to ensure they don't get infected. Doesn't seem to apply here for some reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It's weird. At the press conference earlier someone tried to ask why were the people still at the apartment and not a hospital and they didn't answer. There have been pictures of a neighbour outside cleaning the vomit that had been there since Sunday. Using a power washer, totally unprotected. I wouldn't want that splashing anywhere near me
    Why was this allowed? If you read the Hot Zone you will see the lengths they go to to ensure they don't get infected. Doesn't seem to apply here for some reason?

hmm going on that - would paddy power give ~ 7:1 on which day of the week it arrives here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

It's weird. At the press conference earlier someone tried to ask why were the people still at the apartment and not a hospital and they didn't answer. There have been pictures of a neighbour outside cleaning the vomit that had been there since Sunday. Using a power washer, totally unprotected. I wouldn't want that splashing anywhere near me :eek:

wow.that is just ridiculous woefully incompetent at best. down right phucking dumb ass dangerous stupid at worst. why arent these people wearing protective clothing. surely they are aware what it is they are cleaning up. and why is that woman even in the picture why isnt the place sealed off. tis such acts of stupidity that lead to things happening. there is a photo of them cleaning in this link.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-02/workers-spray-ebola-patients%E2%80%99-vomit-sidewalk-pressure-washer-and-no-protective-cloth?

also been reading that the Liberians intend to prosecute this guy if he makes it back to Liberia.

The Liberian government is planning to prosecute 42-year-old Thomas Eric Duncan for answering “no” to a health form question asking whether he’d come in contact with an Ebola victim prior to boarding a plane out of the country. Duncan is the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States.

Isaac Jackson, deputy information minister for public affairs, told NBC News Thursday that Duncan had “lied under oath” when he responded that he hadn’t been in contact with someone carrying Ebola in the last 21 days. Duncan will be prosecuted under Chapters 13 and 14 of the Public Health Law of Liberia, he added, two codes involving negligent conduct of putting others in danger when an individual is fully aware of health risks.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/liberian-officials-prosecute-ebola-victim-lying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Napalm.

Ebola does not spread through casual contact. Your kids aren't going to pick it up on a toy at day care. You aren't going to get Ebola because you touch a door handle or because someone sneezes on you.

Yes, you could get ebola (or another illness) from touching a toy or door handle that had been contaminated with bodily fluids. It's pretty common for door handles in public toilets to have traces of faeces for example. Touch that and then touch your face and you are at risk of becoming sick. The CDC have said that 'close contact' is defined as within 3 feet of an infected person. That's not exactly on top of someone. On a packed subway you could have 10 or more people within 3 feet of you. So a sneeze could infect you if it contained phlegm or blood particles and you were close enough to breathe in the aerosols. Same goes for being in close proximity to someone who is vomiting.

There's no need to panic just yet, but having the proper facts and changing your behaviour accordingly, eg washing hands more frequently and avoiding touching toilet door handles etc, could help you stay well if it arrives in your area. If it really was that hard to catch then it there wouldn't be an epidemic right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You have to understand in America money talks, if your poor and live in a ghetto well then they dont care if you live or die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

You have to understand in America money talks, if your poor and live in a ghetto well then they dont care if you live or die.

You could just as easily say "in the West money talks, and if you're poor and live in a poor country they don't care if you live or die"...and look where that attitude got us.

from the CDC website, as opposed to USA today

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?
    Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease.

Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/qas.html

AN NBC news Camera man, workingin Liberia has tested positive for virus

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/10/02/nbc-says-cameraman-tested-positive-for-ebola-entire-crew-to-be-flown-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

from the CDC website, as opposed to USA today

Can Ebola spread by coughing? By sneezing?
    Unlike respiratory illnesses like measles or chickenpox, which can be transmitted by virus particles that remain suspended in the air after an infected person coughs or sneezes, Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with body fluids of a person who has symptoms of Ebola disease.
    So the ebola virus can't jump up to 3 feet? I don't know what to believe anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

ScumLord wrote: »
    So the ebola virus can't jump up to 3 feet? I don't know what to believe anymore.

how could it jump? it doesnt have legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Beano wrote: »
    how could it jump? it doesnt have legs.

It's "stories" have legs.

Advertisement