Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Augmerson wrote: »
    Seriously hope Ebola never sets foot here, our hospitals would be under immense pressure if there was an outbreak.

Yeah I'm sure they'd struggle to treat the 5 or 6 people that would contract it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There is another possible unconfirmed case in Spain. Also a nurse who treated Fr Viejo.

Link in Spanish

http://www.eldiario.es/sociedad/Analizan-posible-enfermera-hospital-Paz_0_310769863.html

Further information has been revealed about the confirmed case. She is a nursing assistant. All precautions were followed when she was treating the ebola patient and there were no accidents that they are aware of. She only entered the patients room twice. She started feeling unwell last week while on holiday, but wasn't admitted to the hospital until Monday morning. They are going to have to trace anyone she may have had close contact with.

If she only was in contact with the patient twice, I wonder if she got it from the other as yet unconfirmed person who she worked with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

This is what happens when you repatriate people with this disease. Leave them where they catch it, this is too dangerous to be transporting back to other countries no matter how good the intentions are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Do they do hazmat suits in aldi/lidl? Get mine before the breakout proper and they go out of stock.

If there was an outbreak would you feel safe wearing a hazmat suit? I would get a lot of comfort from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

She started to feel ill a week ago, and then she went on holiday. Well, isn't that just great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

they need to get this together now, potentially serious situation, Spanish nurse was on holidays too, if this virus gets going in europe, it will spread quickly due to the wealthier lifestyles in comparison to Africa. Regardless, pray for all those suffering with it at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

DarkJager wrote: »
    This is what happens when you repatriate people with this disease. Leave them where they catch it, this is too dangerous to be transporting back to other countries no matter how good the intentions are.

I agree. if the virus was capable of critical thought it would be probably having a chuckle right now thinking to itself how lucky that a supposedly intelligent lifeform like humans could be so phuckin stupid. moving people back to a country after becoming infected violates all laws of containment. they shouldnt be moved for any reason moral reasons dont come into it, quarantine should not be broken for anyone for any reason. the only way to fight this is to contain it. so stop violating the laws of containment. dock a medical ship off the coast of Africa if laws of containment must be violated and treat them on that. but stop moving the virus to countries that dont already have it.

WakeUp wrote: »
    I agree. if the virus was capable of critical thought it would be probably having a chuckle right now thinking to itself how lucky that a supposedly intelligent lifeform like humans could be so phuckin stupid. moving people back to a country after becoming infected violates all laws of containment. they shouldnt be moved for any reason moral reasons dont come into it, quarantine should not be broken for anyone for any reason. the only way to fight this is to contain it. so stop violating the laws of containment. dock a medical ship off the coast of Africa if laws of containment must be violated and treat them on that. but stop moving the virus to countries that dont already have it.

Id say you'd change your tune fast enough if it was your wife/daughter/sister. Ebola isn't enough of a threat to warrant containment measures like that.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Id say you'd change your tune fast enough if it was your wife/daughter/sister. Ebola isn't enough of a threat to warrant containment measures like that.

here look Yaker I dont want to argue with you or anyone else on this thread. but you see the changing of the tune, hypothetically speaking, shouldnt be up to me thats a decision that should be made for me whether I like it or not. its a decision that should be taken out of my hands. the authorities should take control. nobody leaves the quarantine zone for any reason. Ebola is enough of a threat because the only way to fight it is to contain it. there is no other way. how you can say it isnt enough of a threat to warrant such action is beyond me. moving people violates all laws of containment. violating laws of containment is playing with fire. do that and sometimes you get burned. and this has now happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I'd want access to a Phone tO say goodby, that's be about it. I ust be unusual in that id assume travelling hme would be out f the uestion in that condition and i wouldnt attemt it. maybe it would be different if i just felt a bit unwell but once it is confirmed..thats different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Emm, I'm not so sure. If it does become endemic in West Africa, the best case senario is that sporadic cases will crop up in Europe and the US and given the infectious nature of he disease and the high death rates associated with it, I think we in the west will continue to care, not about the effects the disease is having in poor third world countries, but the potential it has to infect us in rich western countries. Every time a new case is imported, we'll be talking about it. I think 3 months is a ridiculously short time line even to get to that stage though. In all likelihood, in 3 months we'll still be looking an an expanding epidemic that is a continuing cause of concern.

In 3 months time we will be all so depressed starting work again after Christmas that ebola will be the last thing on our minds or we will actually want to contract it to end that January misery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

here look Yaker I dont want to argue with you or anyone else on this thread. but you see the changing of the tune, hypothetically speaking, shouldnt be up to me thats a decision that should be made for me whether I like it or not. its a decision that should be taken out of my hands. the authorities should take control. nobody leaves the quarantine zone for any reason. Ebola is enough of a threat because the only way to fight it is to contain it. there is no other way. how you can say it isnt enough of a threat to warrant such action is beyond me. moving people violates all laws of containment. violating laws of containment is playing with fire. do that and sometimes you get burned. and this has now happened.

It would help if your sentences started with a capital letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Whatever the correct method of treatment or containment, weather the patient is your wife/sister/daughter should have nothing to do with it.

Ebola is a level 4 BSL agent - that's the highest level there is, so there is certainly a good argument to be made for extreme containment measures.

Birroc wrote: »
    It would help if your sentences started with a capital letter.

that is just pathetic. like your "contributions" to this thread. all your capable of is ad hominem. you would think after you were shown to be clueless on this topic and talking sh1te you would give it a break. alas your pearls of wisdom know no bounds. keep them coming dude they are most enlightening.

There is no containment area. People travel to and from affected countries in their 1000s every week, and have been doing so since the beginning of the ebola outbreak. So far we have had, 1 case in the UK, 1 in Spain and 1 or 2 in the USA? Could be one or two others I'm unaware of. That's not very many and suggests to me that the ability of this disease to go global, or even spread from west africa, is minimal at most. If it was going to spread it would have happened already. What's going to change and make it more dangerous in the future?

There is no containment area. People travel to and from affected countries in their 1000s every week, and have been doing so since the beginning of the ebola outbreak. So far we have had, 1 case in the UK, 1 in Spain and 1 or 2 in the USA? Could be one or two others I'm unaware of. That's not very many and suggests to me that the ability of this disease to go global, or even spread from west africa, is minimal at most. If it was going to spread it would have happened already. What's going to change and make it more dangerous in the future?

I dont know what is going to happen in the future Im not sure anyone does. but I do know that violating the laws of containment with a patient you know to be infected is playing with fire. and so it has proved.

Well there have been a handful of cases outside Africa now that the number of infected has reached 7000 or so (it's probably higher) If the CDC projections hold true then how many cases can we expect to see once the cases Africa reach the millions? This is due to happen within months if it keeps spreading at its current rate.

It has a 90% mortality rate, no cure, and is getting a higher chance of mutating in to an airborne virus with the more people it infects. It is extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This season's influenza could do the same. Ebola is bad, but unless things change drastically influenza will kill millions more than Ebola this year.

Turtwig wrote: »
    This season's influenza could do the same. Ebola is bad, but unless things change drastically influenza will kill millions more than Ebola this year.

Don't bet on it. Influenza will only be a serious condition for those with weak immune systems. Ebola will straight up murder even the strongest person if not managed properly.

• Advertisement

It's not a competition. No one is claiming it's the biggest killer. Clearly it's not. Not even close. This thread is about Ebola, and that's what's being discussed.

Ebola is a level 4 BSL agent - that's the highest level there is, so there is certainly a good argument to be made for extreme containment measures.

I have read on another site that the suits used in Spain and in Dallas currently are only BSL 2. That just seems ridiculous that they are putting the lives of healthcare professionals at risk by not providing adequate protection.

There was already a protest where I live by nurses claiming that US hospitals are not ready for an ebola epidemic.

There aren't that many facilities properly equipped to handle BSL4 agents, only 15 in the US, I'm not sure about Europe. It doesn't bode well for containment if larger scale outbreaks occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Don't bet on it. Influenza will only be a serious condition for those with weak immune systems. Ebola will straight up murder even the strongest person if not managed properly.

So could a more virulent strain of influenza. Swine flu was potentially significant because it affected the non regularly flu affected people. Luckily it came at the wrong time for a flu to fester and it wasn't as virulent. Bird flu is a nasty piece of work.

A lot of this thread is scare mongering. Don't get me wrong Ebola needs to be taken seriously but we need to manage our expectations. Ebola, right now, isn't really a threat. Heck, if case reports are anything to go by there's a huge disparity in mortality rates with quality of health care. Simply put, people become deficient in nutrients in Africa there's little for testing that and little for replenishing. In the western world there's far more. Obviously early detection is also vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We do tend to underestimate influenza but it could do serious damage given half a chance. There's so much of it around too it has more opportunity to mutate into something even more dangerous.

It hijacked the last world war to go on a rampage all over the world on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Remember Sars, Bird flu, H1N1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ebola is a complete and utter d*ck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Some of the posts on this thread definitely fit the boards.ie mantra of "i'm wrong but i'm gonna fight my corner and not give in no matter what". Idiotic really.

Wake Up is right. Wake up fools. This is a huge issue and the ramifications are global. Given the complete clusterfukc that is the safety precautions being taken worldwide so far, we are giving this thing every chance to engulf us.

Worrying about the nurse in Spain. Seems like she was infected with minimal exposure. And then went on holidays. Holy crap

Yeah you're right were all gonna die.

So could a more virulent strain of influenza. Swine flu was potentially significant because it affected the non regularly flu affected people. Luckily it came at the wrong time for a flu to fester and it wasn't as virulent. Bird flu is a nasty piece of work.

A lot of this thread is scare mongering. Don't get me wrong Ebola needs to be taken seriously but we need to manage our expectations. Ebola, right now, isn't really a threat. Heck, if case reports are anything to go by there's a huge disparity in mortality rates with quality of health care. Simply put, people become deficient in nutrients in Africa there's little for testing that and little for replenishing. In the western world there's far more. Obviously early detection is also vital.

Really? Really? Talk to the populations of West Africa. Listen to MSF and the other NGO's on the ground, working to contain this crisis. (Even they now admit that it is uncontainable) See how the already stretched health systems in affected countries are falling apart to the extent that they now don't have the capacity to treat 'regular' illnesses that were previously treatable. More people will die in these countries from other diseases because of Ebola. And I'm not even going to start on the political fallout in these countries when systems fall apart. You're right though, Ebola is not currently a real threat to us here in a developed Western country with an (almost) functional health system.

As an aside, there was a time in this country when we were so sure that we had TB under control that we considered stoping routine vaccination of infants with BCG because it was felt they would never be exposed. We were wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Never said everyone is going to die. Seems like those arguing that this is a pile of nothing are a little defensive. Ok. At least i started my post with a capital letter (crucial)

Advertisement