Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Are you implying that the virus can somehow make it's way through the suit?

It can if the suit isn't impermeable and the ones they used weren't. The gloves were 'secured' with duct tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

PucaMama wrote: »
    we will have to shut down liberia .

.....the innocence.

Sure Liberia hasn't been a fully functioning country since the war ended in 2003. What do you think happens after war...back to TV and coco pops is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    .....the innocence.

Sure Liberia hasn't been a fully functioning country since the war ended in 2003. What do you think happens after war...back to TV and coco pops is it?

not really interested in their day to day stuff. close borders and stop anyone who attempts to escape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I encourage you all to watch this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It can if the suit isn't impermeable and the ones they used weren't. The gloves were 'secured' with duct tape.

I read that, about the taped gloves, in a list of complaints about the Spanish hazmat suits (and in the same article it said their suits were for grade 2 hazards rather than grade 4 which ebola is), but I've noticed duct taped gloves tday in photos of other ebola aid workers hazmat suits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

All this inaction has prompted me into action. I prepared for the ebola outbreak in the only way I know how - I made a "killer" pot of vegetable soup with extras turnip, peppers, garlic and leaks. It has helped me survive all my previous sicknesses and hangovers. Survival of the fittest!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I don't think I'm 'promoting' worse case scenario. I'm just of the opinion that it's best to be aware of all the facts and possibilities rather than burying your head in the sand.

I feel that your posts actually put forward some good arguments as to why ebola isn't that much of a threat to the West and Ireland in particular. You have obviously done some research and come to that conclusion. Some people think that our hospitals are fabulous pristine zones where no disease ever spreads and just blindly quote that there is no risk. I think the poor management of the cases outside Africa so far show that we aren't really prepared for this. As long as the disease is running rampant in Africa we are going to see clusters of infections in the rest of the world. How many cases can a country handle at any one time before the healthcare system starts to feel the strain?

I dont think you seem to realise just how bad healthcare is in west africa compared to ireland or europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I dont think you seem to realise just how bad healthcare is in west africa compared to ireland or europe?

What makes you think that? I'm fully aware that healthcare in west Africa is pretty dire. What does that have to do with the fact that many western countries aren't prepared to handle an outbreak of ebola?

Edit- I have no idea why there is a sunglasses smiley at the top of my post. I can't get rid of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I'm living in Madrid. Am I going to die? :(

No! :)

• Advertisement

No! :)

Promise? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

realweirdo wrote: »
    Or kissing someone goodbye or goodnight? It spreads through sweat too you know. So a handshake can spread it, especially in warm countries where people sweat a lot. A sneeze probably could spread it. Possibly reusing a bar of soap. Possibly using the same door handle as an infected person, maybe even reusing a towel.

When it comes down to it, its actually not that easy to limit its spread. And so far there's no widely available cure. I think its safe to say we should be prepared for this, well our government should be. But it looks like they have more important things to worry about such as which crony to apoint to which board.

And also to consider that the average person touches their face(which would include their mouth in that)about 3000 times a day.

Promise? :(

Weeeell..I never make a promise I can't keep but I *think* you'll be o.k! ;)

Smidge wrote: »
    And also to consider that the average person touches their face(which would include their mouth in that)about 3000 times a day.

Also- 'shifting' people in nightclubs and discos, sneezing from ordinary allergies or plain old snotty colds, handshaking, standing or sitting in crowded public transport, well within the 3ft 'close contact' limit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Nobody lives forever

....except Jesus cause he was some kinda immortal superhero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Yes.

RIP TheBeardedLady God only takes the best babz.xoxo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Now I'm sure Africa is a fine continent, but it would be prudent to avoid it at all costs and let the locals find a solution. Throw the $ at them by all means.

Also- 'shifting' people in nightclubs and discos, sneezing from ordinary allergies or plain old snotty colds, handshaking, standing or sitting in crowded public transport, well within the 3ft 'close contact' limit

So you are agreeing as to how easily it could be spread?
    (can't tell from the above :))

Yes.

Eh...I am a little anxious now 4 realz. Jaysus.

So you are agreeing as to how easily it could be spread?
    (can't tell from the above :))

I really don't know, and I'm not claiming to be sure of this, because to be fair there isn't a lot of clear information when it comes too being sneezed on directly or inadvertently placing your hand on a surface where an ebola sufferer has sneezed on, then rubbing your eyes or nose, fr example..but it's what I'm wondering about. It *looks* like it might be possible but I'm just trying to piece together bits of information from all over the internet.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Beards offer unparalleled protection against 99.9% of deadly viruses, though!

I'm waiting to hear whether the 4 quarantined Spanish patients who were in contact with the poor nurse have tested positive. How long does it take to get the results?

Just read out the Madrid regional Gov getting court order to euthanise the Spanish Nurse 's dog , against her wishes.

The government said available scientific knowledge suggests a risk that the mixed-breed dog could transmit the virus to humans, and promised to use "biosecurity" measures to prevent any such transmission.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2014/10/07/3441441_nurse-in-spain-gets-ebola-raising.html?sp=/99/673/150/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

I really don't know, and I'm not claiming to be sure of this, because to be fair there isn't a lot of clear information when it comes too being sneezed on directly or inadvertently placing your hand on a surface where an ebola sufferer has sneezed on, then rubbing your eyes or nose, fr example..but it's what I'm wondering about. It *looks* like it might be possible but I'm just trying to piece together bits of information from all over the internet.

From what I can tell, it is spread through these means(body fluids ie saliva)fairly efficiently. It appears that it has a long enough survival rate on an inanimate objects to cause concern no matter what country it is in.
    If you think about how many times a day you touch surfaces that others have touched.......door handles, bus rails, flushes on loos, taps in public bathrooms, DOOR HANDLES when leaving public bathrooms are rife with bacteria, goods in shops, the list goes on and on.

And tbh, having seen how our hospitals here fall asunder every single winter from the Norovirus, I'm not particularly optimistic for the outcome when Ebola does reach here.
    Which it will.

Jake1 wrote: »
    Just read out the Madrid regional Gov getting court order to euthanise the Spanish Nurse 's dog , against her wishes.

The government said available scientific knowledge suggests a risk that the mixed-breed dog could transmit the virus to humans, and promised to use "biosecurity" measures to prevent any such transmission.

Read more here: http://www.bnd.com/2014/10/07/3441441_nurse-in-spain-gets-ebola-raising.html?sp=/99/673/150/&rh=1#storylink=cpy

That's sad. If they can quarantine potentially rabid dogs, maybe they could do that for this one. It seems like overcompensation.

Jake1 wrote: »

Is that for real? (genuine question :))
    Not for a minute had I heard that Ebola could effect/cross mutate outside of humans.

Not for a minute had I heard that Ebola could effect/cross mutate outside of humans.

There's a strain that only affects animals. but I've read that this current human strain can affect dogs too.

There's a strain that only affects animals. but I've read that this current human strain can affect dogs too.

Any chance you remember where you read that?
    If that's the case and it can affect animals, well my dear AH friends, I bid you so long. Its been nice knowin' y'all :(

Any chance you remember where you read that?
    If that's the case and it can affect animals, well my dear AH friends, I bid you so long. Its been nice knowin' y'all :(

If I hadn't read dozens of articles today (not obsessed, honest!) I'd remember off the top of my head, but I'll check again. If I'm mistaken, I'll eat an article of clothing.

• Advertisement

NBC, ABC, IBT etc, they are all reporting the same thing.
    The cross over bit, they are just killing the dog as precautionary measure ,the say.

Advertisement