Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Smidge wrote: »
    Is that for real? (genuine question :))
    Not for a minute had I heard that Ebola could effect/cross mutate outside of humans.
    Based on a large serologic survey of dogs in the 2001–2002 Ebola outbreak area in Gabon, we found evidence that dogs can be infected by Ebola virus, a finding that raises important human health issues.

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/3/pdfs/04-0981.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jake1 wrote: »
    NBC, ABC, IBT etc, they are all reporting the same thing.
    The cross over bit, they are just killing the dog as precautionary measure ,the say.

Most important part there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Sorry, I haven't found the article where dogs were mentioned yet- and i've looked at that many online articles today it would take an age to go through my browsing- and I shouldn't have said so, it's one of those things I'd be more than happy to be wrong about! Boards.ie don't seem to let osters delete comments so please disregard that comment of mine about dogs catching ebola zaire. I was tired when I commented, hope i didn't worry anyone.

Most important part there.

this should put your mind at ease :)

Should I be worried about my pets getting Ebola?
    So here’s the good news (you’ve been waiting for): Yes, the Ebola virus can spread, and has been found in dogs, but to date, according to the Centers for Disease Control, infected dogs remain asymptomatic; they can harbor the virus, but are not affected by it.
    Dogs can, however, especially in the early stages of their infection, spread the disease to humans via bodily fluids2. Once the dog’s immune system clears the virus, the dog is no longer infective.
    Since the virus itself has, so far, not reached North America, Europe, or other parts of the world, the chances of your dogs becoming infected are EXTREMELY LOW! - See more at: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/news-blogs/a-vets-life/can-ebola-spread-dogs-and-cats-first-us-case-heightens-concerns#sthash.WuHSQTSm.dpuf

Sorry, I haven't found the article where dogs were mentioned yet- and i've looked at that many online articles today it would take an age to go through my browsing- and I shouldn't have said so, it's one of those things I'd be more than happy to be wrong about! Boards.ie don't seem to let osters delete comments so please disregard that comment of mine about dogs catching ebola zaire. I was tired when I commented, hope i didn't worry anyone.

No need to disregard the post. URL posted and confirms what you said :)

• Advertisement

this should put your mind at ease :)

Should I be worried about my pets getting Ebola?
    So here’s the good news (you’ve been waiting for): Yes, the Ebola virus can spread, and has been found in dogs, but to date, according to the Centers for Disease Control, infected dogs remain asymptomatic; they can harbor the virus, but are not affected by it.
    Dogs can, however, especially in the early stages of their infection, spread the disease to humans via bodily fluids2. Once the dog’s immune system clears the virus, the dog is no longer infective.
    Since the virus itself has, so far, not reached North America, Europe, or other parts of the world, the chances of your dogs becoming infected are EXTREMELY LOW! - See more at: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/news-blogs/a-vets-life/can-ebola-spread-dogs-and-cats-first-us-case-heightens-concerns#sthash.WuHSQTSm.dpuf

Fell much better now Jake, thanks for that.
    The dog will be grand but you're fukced :eek::pac:

Fell much better now Jake, thanks for that.
    The dog will be grand but you're fukced :eek::pac:

:D

:D

*sits here eyeballing the dog asleep at my feet with great suspicion and much plotting*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I've washed my hands 8 times in the last 15 minutes. Suddenly everything is my enemy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Is that for real? (genuine question :))
    Not for a minute had I heard that Ebola could effect/cross mutate outside of humans.

If you happen to live in Liberia where they are burying bodies in shallow graves, and the dogs are eating the bodies, then I'd be worried about dogs.

• Advertisement

If you happen to live in Liberia where they are burying bodies in shallow graves, and the dogs are eating the bodies, then I'd be worried about dogs.

Or Madrid
    (sorry TheBeardedLady :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Ye should all go under the stairs now, its a red alert situation, take the beans and powdered milk. Go, do it now! You can come back out next year when we're all dead and its safe.

Just don't touch any door handles.

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Ye should all go under the stairs now, its a red alert situation, take the beans and powdered milk. Go, do it now! You can come back out next year when we're all dead and its safe.

Quiet you!!
    Isn't it a school night? :p:D

Quiet you!!
    Isn't it a school night? :p:D

It sure is, but I don't worry about these things seeming as I'm 52. :pac:

It sure is, but I don't worry about these things seeming as I'm 52. :pac:

Ah sure no wonder you aren't worried about Ebola so.
    You have one foot on a banana skin and the other in the coffin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Or Madrid
    (sorry TheBeardedLady :D)

Fcuksake! The city is full of them! Particularly my area (I live in the crusty area of Madrid - lots of rabid-looking dogs on string with **** everywhere). I'm just going to sit in bed for the next few months and ride it out. Be grand.

What if you live in a bungalow?

Ah sure no wonder you aren't worried about Ebola so.
    You have one foot on a banana skin and the other in the coffin :D

I pray to Jesus, ....he gonna save my ass along with my rocket launcher and high powered cattle prod. Young people these days have no faith in the jesus, that's my advantage!

Fcuksake! The city is full of them! Particularly my area (I live in the crusty area of Madrid - lots of rabid-looking dogs on string with **** everywhere). I'm just going to sit in bed for the next few months and ride it out. Be grand.

Good on ya TBL!!
    That's the spirit :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

run around screaming or...

go on boards and await your impending doom

• Advertisement

Double fecked :p

When Fukishima crisis happened, the elderly in the community volunteered for highly dangerous clean-up duty. Very nobly, indeed, with all due respect!

So, the onus is on the older people on this thread to deal with ebola, ok?

When Fukishima crisis happened, the elderly in the community volunteered for highly dangerous clean-up duty. Very nobly, indeed, with all due respect!

only fair since they've free medical cards:pac:

Eh...what is the "cut off" age?

run around screaming or...

go on boards and await your impending doom

If I never leave the house and sit here on boards i cant catch it. its a basically sound strategy.

Still time to build a stairs, it doesn't have to go anywhere, you just have to go under it. It kinda standard protocol in 'end of the world' situations to have one.

Still time to build a stairs, it doesn't have to go anywhere, you just have to go under it. It kinda standard protocol in 'end of the world' situations to have one.

Can't be bothered with all that. Will under a table do?

If I never leave the house and sit here on boards i cant catch it. its a basically sound strategy.

but is stuck interacting with people on boards forever a fate worse than ebola???:p

Eh...what is the "cut off" age?

Septuagenarians and upwards. It is true and very moving, I think

• Advertisement

Septuagenarians and upwards. It is true and very moving, I think.

*breathes large sigh of relief* :D

Advertisement