Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

Smidge wrote: »
    Can't be bothered with all that. Will under a table do?

Yeah, break the legs off one end and place it at an angle. Triangulation spaces are the safest in all major doomsday events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

but is stuck interacting with people on boards forever a fate worse than ebola???:p

If it happens, people will drop pretences and be nicer. Human interaction will be more valued and there will be less infighting and needless egotism. Or something.
    So, it might be o.k.

only fair since they've free medical cards:pac:

I thought the bus pass has been taken off them, though. That would have been handy, for moving the infected. (sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

If it happens, people will drop pretences and be nicer. Human interaction will be more valued and there will be less infighting and needless egotism. Or something.
    So, it might be o.k.

or a fate much worse....only boardsies left in the post ebola world:eek::eek:

we'll stare everyone will be here and no one to do cooking....unless we can train the zombies!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

So, it might be o.k.

There will be zero human interaction as we will be wearing our bio-chem suits 24/7. Don't tell me you forgot to order your suit? Everyone I know has one. Fail to prepare and all that....

• Advertisement

or a fate much worse....only boardsies left in the post ebola world:eek::eek:

we'll stare everyone will be here and no one to do cooking....unless we can train the zombies!!!:pac:

I don't think we can train them, they only eat brains so they are on the paleo (raw food) diet and don't have to cook any food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I don't think we can train them, they only eat brains so they are on the paleo (raw food) diet and don't have to cook any food.
    we're doomed!!!:(:(

to the zombie survival forum for advice in training zombies (im not sure what actually goes on in there!!)
    its our only hope

unless we keep back any of the eldely who can cook....depending on me =everyone fecked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

It seems to have gained a foothold in Spain. It may already have spread there before people know they are infected. Very serious indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

realweirdo wrote: »
    It seems to have gained a foothold in Spain. It may already have spread there before people know they are infected. Very serious indeed.

New info? Linky? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

• Advertisement

Smidge wrote: »
    New info? Linky? :)

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29529793

I would be shocked if the husband hasn't picked it up.

And one or two others who might have been in contact, possibly other patients of the nurse. She worked in a hospital treating patients. Its impossible to know. I reckon if it gets a foothold it will spread far faster in Europe than Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

A 50% chance ebola is going to arrive in the UK and this:

"British health authorities have said there are no plans to introduce Ebola screening for travellers arriving in the UK"

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

A 50% chance ebola is going to arrive in the UK and this:

"British health authorities have said there are no plans to introduce Ebola screening for travellers arriving in the UK"

:confused:

Ah c'mon now, I know many people don't like travellers, but blaming them for ebola is a bit much :pac:

I think the London-Dublin air route is the busiest in the world from what I remember. And Heathrow one of the busiest airports in the world. Doesn't bear thinking about. Airports will be on the frontline of dealing with this, decontaminating, screening newly arrived passengers, regular cleansing of common areas.

I think the London-Dublin air route is the busiest in the world from what I remember. And Heathrow one of the busiest airports in the world. Doesn't bear thinking about. Airports will be on the frontline of dealing with this, decontaminating, screening newly arrived passengers, regular cleansing of common areas.

They've no plans to begin any of that, though. It would be ''too costly''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29529793

I would be shocked if the husband hasn't picked it up.

And one or two others who might have been in contact, possibly other patients of the nurse. She worked in a hospital treating patients. Its impossible to know. I reckon if it gets a foothold it will spread far faster in Europe than Africa.

am I actually reading this right from this link. sure there is no risk of anyone becoming infected if we move people to countries that dont already have it whats everyone talking about is all good. nothing to see here. meanwhile...

" the chairman of the World Health Organisation's Ebola science group says he is not surprised that the Spanish nurse contracted the disease.

Speaking in Geneva, Prof Peter Piot said he expected more cases among medical staff, even in developed countries, and that the slightest mistake during the care of Ebola patients could be fatal"

well isnt that just wonderful and reassuring. nice to see the powers that be have this one in hand. they are on it. and are putting forward recommendations to minimise the risk. but wait. you phuckin clown.

Typical hubris and arrogance from the Europeans. We will never get infected. Let's treat Ebola in European hospitals. An absolute recipe for disaster.

I think the case in Spain proves this strain is highly virulent and it can spread in Europe despite the best efforts.

Typical hubris and arrogance from the Europeans. We will never get infected. Let's treat Ebola in European hospitals. An absolute recipe for disaster.

I think the case in Spain proves this strain is highly virulent and it can spread in Europe despite the best efforts.

Im astounded by the level of phuckwittery on display its off the wall. these are the people who are suppose to have this in hand. are they having a laugh or what. unbelievable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I don't think it proves any of that, nobody claims that Europeans can't be infected just that it won't spread.

Liberia....population of 4.1 million...700,000 people for 1 doctor...just now on BBC news...surely not true?

• Advertisement

I don't think it proves any of that, nobody claims that Europeans can't be infected just that it won't spread.

Europeans think they have dealt with all previous diseases and Ebola will be a piece of cake. Except that Ebola is like no other previous European disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Thing is in Spain they did fck up, it wasn't their 'best effort' at all. I have no problem bringing back infected people so long as hospitals/governments have their sh1t together. If it's a matter of cost (and if we weigh that against the cost of handling future ebola patients it will pale in comparison I would expect) then why were they so keen to introduce all these measures/tech to deal with 'imminent' terrorist threats? Obviously an arrangement between security firms and the government but surely pharma/med tech could make a profit out of this with screenings so I don't get why they don't go ahead with testing people for ebola. Not that it would probably do much good though if they're asymptomatic when they arrive. So it comes back to the original problem, stop flying to and from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea! The way the situation is developing is extremely bad, by the time the public actually put pressure on governments to ban flights to these countries it will be too late more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Europeans think they have dealt with all previous diseases and Ebola will be a piece of cake. Except that Ebola is like no other previous European disease.

bubonic plague maybe? still about too:

http://m.medicaldaily.com/us-man-who-survives-bubonic-plague-cat-bite-will-have-fingers-and-toes-amputated-241421

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stopping flights from affected areas will help. But there's nothing to stop people from travelling to neighbouring countries and fly onwards from there.

The arrogant complacency in Europe about this is staggering..

Thing is in Spain they did fck up, it wasn't their 'best effort' at all. I have no problem bringing back infected people so long as hospitals/governments have their sh1t together. If it's a matter of cost (and if we weigh that against the cost of handling future ebola patients it will pale in comparison I would expect) then why were they so keen to introduce all these measures/tech to deal with 'imminent' terrorist threats? Obviously an arrangement between security firms and the government but surely pharma/med tech could make a profit out of this with screenings so I don't get why they don't go ahead with testing people for ebola. Not that it would probably do much good though if they're asymptomatic when they arrive. So it comes back to the original problem, stop flying to and from Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea! The way the situation is developing is extremely bad, by the time the public actually put pressure on governments to ban flights to these countries it will be too late more than likely.

I have every problem with it. check this out. have a look at the Spanish hospitals idea of quarantine. keeping in mind this is bio level 4 agent.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-07/tuesday-humor-spains-ebola-containment-protocols

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Liberia....population of 4.1 million...700,000 people for 1 doctor...just now on BBC news...surely not true?

I read that before the outbreak there were only 50 doctors for 4 million people. Most of them have fled or died since then. So unfortunately it's possible that's true. Shocking stuff.

This article mentions that were only 50 doctors

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0H106M20140906?irpc=932

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Another nurse who took part in transporting the priest to Madrid has been admitted to hospital with a fever.

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/753216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Another nurse who took part in transporting the priest to Madrid has been admitted to hospital with a fever.

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/753216

Oh god. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Red Pepper wrote: »
    USA is an affected country.
    Spain is an affected country.
    Nigeria, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Sierra Leone, Congo, Liberia are affected countries.
    We should close all their borders?

No, I obviously meant we should close off Africa's borders since that's where it's coming from.

The cases outside are few and it seems to be the case that outside of Africa it's not likely to spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭FionnK86

No, I obviously meant we should close off Africa's borders since that's where it's coming from.

The cases outside are few and it seems to be the case that outside of Africa it's not likely to spread.

Africa is not just Liberia, and western states. Are you seriously suggesting closing the borders South Africa, Kenya, Egypt and Morocco to Europe/US/Asia?? That's like closing Ireland's borders for the outbreak in Spain!! Get over the idea that Africa is one big country. :mad:

Advertisement