Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that when people talk about a disease being 'airborne' they often start with Hollywood style images of Armageddon. Or Contagion or whatever that film/films were called. That is unhelpful and inaccurate. On the other hand, if we stick to proper definitions, we can all understand ie droplet spread, for example.

Yes just saw that the hospital announced he had died. I wonder would Mr Duncan have faired better had he been admitted the first time he presented. Could be interesting from a litigation pov, as well as the unnecessary risk his contacts were put at. I'm sure the hospital legal department are very busy.

I'm sure the hospital will protect themselves very well. Maybe the fact that he didn't disclose his contact with an ebola infected person would be in their favor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I am pie wrote: »
    Expired!

Died. He is dead.

we know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm sure the hospital will protect themselves very well..

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit....its the only way to be sure!

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit....its the only way to be sure!

Ok but I meant legally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Ebola: Soldiers from Northern Ireland sent to Sierra Leone to help curb virus outbreak as first patient diagnosed in US dies:

Soldiers from Northern Ireland are to be sent to Sierra Leone to help curb the Ebola outbreak which has spread through the country

it's understood some 40 troops have already arrived in the country.

The soldiers travelling to Sierra Leone are based at Palace Barracks in Holywood, Co Down - belonging to the The Royal Scots Borders 1st Battalion.

The announcement comes as Northern Ireland's Public Health Agency said it was preparing to tackle Ebola, should the deadly virus reach the Northern Ireland.

Speaking today, commanding officer Lieutenant Colonel Matt Munro said there was a clear risk of soldiers contracting the virus - but the risk was "very low".

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/ebola-soldiers-from-northern-ireland-sent-to-sierra-leone-to-help-curb-virus-outbreak-as-first-patient-diagnosed-in-us-dies-30649354.html?

the British musnt have enough troops on their island for this task so they had to send ones from our island. lets hope the British get it right.

• Advertisement

WakeUp wrote: »
    the British musnt have enough troops on their island for this task so they had to send ones from our island. lets hope the British get it right.

Their island, Our island? Jaysus

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Their island, Our island? Jaysus

yep the island of Ireland and the island of Britain. whats the problem. do they not have enough troops over there to send over. if they want to send troops out there thats fine thats up to them. but why did they have to send troops over that are based on this island why couldnt they send them from over there. so they can go back there when they return. and not here.

yep the island of Ireland and the island of Britain. whats the problem. do they not have enough troops over there to send over. if they want to send troops out there thats fine thats up to them. but why did they have to send troops over that are based on this island why couldnt they send them from over there. so they can go back there when they return. and not here.

and what if they come here on holidays after they are all juiced up on scary ebola?

and what of the Irish government decide to help out with some Irish soldiers? maybe we should put them on Inisturk for 10 years.

I say fair play to the British Army and British authorities for sending help whether you are from our island or your island or any other island.

and what if they come here on holidays after they are all juiced up on scary ebola?

well you seem to have it all worked out even though you post information in the main that is factually incorrect. so seen as though you know it all why dont you tell me?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm sure the hospital will protect themselves very well. Maybe the fact that he didn't disclose his contact with an ebola infected person would be in their favor.

As far as what's been reported, he did disclose travel from Liberia (afaik it was not disclosure of exposure to a sick person as he was leaving Liberia that was his crime - I guess he doesn't have to worry about that prosecution anymore). If that's the case it seems the hospital didn't follow their own protocols (I think they have already public ally acknowledged their error), so I would think it is firefighting now. Nuking the site one be one way to avoid a big payout I suppose :)

• Advertisement

well you seem to have it all worked out even though you post information in the main that is factually incorrect. so seen as though you know it all why dont you tell me?...

all worked out? factually incorrect? tell you what?
    i am replying to your criticism on the British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I see that hysteria and misinformation has already taken hold in the UK

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sierra-leone-boys-uk-school-placement-cancelled-over-misguided-hysteria-by-parents-over-ebola-9781366.html

9 year old kid from Sierra Leone not allowed to attend school because some parents objected. The kid was found to pose zero threat after being assessed by health authorities.
    She had herself and Kofi assessed by Public Health England when arriving in the UK and was given a category 1 rating, meaning the pair were given unrestricted movement while in the country.

“You can’t be lower risk,” she said. “Even if I were a health worker with this level of risk I could carry on practicing.”

The school is worse for giving into the demands of clueless parents.

9 year old kid from Sierra Leone not allowed to attend school because some parents objected. The kid was found to pose zero threat after being assessed by health authorities.

Crazy. Bound to happen, has been blown out of all proportion by the media and social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Stupidity will be the determining factor in how the wesht handles Ebola. When I think of all the pseudo medical shtye I see on my Facebook feeds it does make me despair a little over what myths these folks will share about Ebola.

In more upbeat news, according to nature Zmapp performed incredibly well in primates.

all worked out? factually incorrect? tell you what?
    i am replying to your criticism on the British Army.

the part in bold is a question is it not. hence the question mark at the end of the sentence. you seem to have this all figured out so why dont you tell me?...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

To be honest if it's going to travel, the airports will be the hubs for its transmission.

I wonder what will happen to his body now? will it be sent back to Liberia, or will he be cremated in Dallas. Will the family even get a say in what happens to his remains.

Come on folks, I think everyone is agreed that in order to get this situation under control, we need more resources and more boots on the ground. They have to come from somewhere - and all going well, return to somewhere. Why should it be Britain and not Ireland. Fair play to the Brits for stepping up to the plate. I hope that the returning soldiers won't be treated that poor school boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

To be honest if it's going to travel, the airports will be the hubs for its transmission.

Most people go to the airport in catch thferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Turtwig wrote: »
    Stupidity will be the determining factor in how the wesht handles Ebola. When I think of all the pseudo medical shtye I see on my Facebook feeds it does make me despair a little over what myths these folks will share about Ebola.

In more upbeat news, according to nature Zmapp performed incredibly well in primates.

Stop talking sense! Didn't you know this could go airborne??? IT COULD GO AIRBORNE!!!!!!!! and then we're all dead!!!!!

DEAD I TELL YOU!!!!!!!!!!

**runs from the thread**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Jake1 wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen to his body now? will it be sent back to Liberia, or will he be cremated in Dallas. Will the family even get a say in what happens to his remains.

No I imagine it will be cremated almost immediately.

As far as what's been reported, he did disclose travel from Liberia (afaik it was not disclosure of exposure to a sick person as he was leaving Liberia that was his crime - I guess he doesn't have to worry about that prosecution anymore). If that's the case it seems the hospital didn't follow their own protocols (I think they have already public ally acknowledged their error), so I would think it is firefighting now. Nuking the site one be one way to avoid a big payout I suppose :)

Most (maybe all?) states have limits on the amount you can be paid in a malpractice suit. I just looked it up and the limit in Texas is $250,000.

The documentary Hot Coffee is about how corporations mislead the public to bring in caps in damages in in the wake of the woman who was burned by the McDonalds coffee. Worth a watch if you've never seen it.

There's no way medical malpractice is capped at 250,000. Most lawyers wouldn't get out of bed for that. However I digress....

One serious issue is that the economies of the stricken west African countries is falling apart. The economy of Sierra Leone has crashed by 30% already. These fragile countries need emergency financial assistance already. The west African governments are using up their reserves fast and commerce/trade has collapsed. The social consequences of this are huge. TB, malaria and dysentery has killed more people than ebola in the affected countries over the past 6 months and that will only get worse as the money runs out and the healthcare systems worsen.

If you want to help I suggest donating some money to one of the many NGOs in the region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Situation isn't good at all tbh. Yes the media blow things up.bigger than they should I just hope to god it doesn't get in and about a major city like Lagos or Delhi. Wouldn't fancy the Irish health system to cope with it at all ffs we can't even deal with what we have at present.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    No I imagine it will be cremated almost immediately.

I would have thought so too, but apparently, its not mandatory

from CDC guidelines

Disposition of Remains
    Remains should be cremated or buried promptly in a hermetically sealed casket.
    Once the bagged body is placed in the sealed casket, no additional cleaning is needed unless leakage has occurred.
    No PPE is needed when handling the cremated remains or the hermetically sealed closed casket.

regarding air transport;

If shipping by air is needed, the remains must be labeled as dangerous goods in accordance with Department of Transportation regulations (49 Code of Federal Regulations 173.196).

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/hcp/guidance-safe-handling-human-remains-ebola-patients-us-hospitals-mortuaries.html

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

God it's scary!!

Lucy B wrote: »
    God it's scary!!

no, God is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/sierra-leone-boys-uk-school-placement-cancelled-over-misguided-hysteria-by-parents-over-ebola-9781366.html

The school is worse for giving into the demands of clueless parents.

I agree that the school is worse for giving in to the other parents but don't you think those parents might have been a bit racist to start with, or at least a bit stupid?

I don't agree, as some have said, that media reports have fuelled hysteria. I think people like those parents really don't need an excuse to behave stupidly, and the media reports will not incite most ordinary, right minded folk to extreme or paranoid action. I really don't think the media has been unduly frightening about Ebola.

• Advertisement

There's no way medical malpractice is capped at 250,000. Most lawyers wouldn't get out of bed for that. However I digress....

Non economic damages are capped. They would still be liable for medical bills etc.
    Texas is one of many states that utilizes a damages cap in medical malpractice cases. Texas's medical malpractice damages caps apply to non-economic damages only. Non-economic damages include compensation for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, anxiety and stress, and similar more subjective losses caused by the defendant's malpractice. Economic damages, which cover financial losses like medical bills and lost wages, are not capped.
    Texas caps non-economic damages for medical malpractice at $250,000. This cap applies to judgments against physicians, health care providers, and health care institutions.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/texass-cap-for-medical-malpractice-damages.html

Advertisement