Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Over 8,000 people infected and it's growing all the time... with a disease that has no cure and a high mortality rate... those minuscule chances are only going to get bigger and bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Red Pepper wrote: »
    are you scared of getting ebola yourself? do you know how miniscule those chances are?

Where did i say i was scared?

Holsten wrote: »
    Over 8,000 people infected and it's growing all the time... with a disease that has no cure and a high mortality rate... those minuscule chances are only going to get bigger and bigger.

Without doubt. Hopefully they can throw a cap on this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Sorry, it's the same person. If it does turn out to be ebola then it raises the question of how he got it. He didn't have any contact with the original patient. The family supposedly weren't showing any symptoms when he was with them.
    It's a she, and she presented the quarantine order. The original patient was vomiting blood all over the place when he was removed from the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I give up, best of luck surviving til Xmas folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

hmmm wrote: »
    It's a she, and she presented the quarantine order. The original patient was vomiting blood all over the place when he was removed from the apartment.

Well in that case it was more than preventable. It's not her fault that's he has effectively been handed a death sentence all the same.
    Btw, Thomas Duncan is being cremated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So her only contact was presenting the order?

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I give up, best of luck surviving til Xmas folks.

Eh so you aren't answering my question then?

SR Srgt Michael Monnig , Male

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/08/patient-frisco-ebola-suspect/16922477/

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Frisco-Investigating-Possible-Ebola-Case-278555081.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Flu causes between 3000 and 49000 deaths per year in the US alone

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

Should we all be panicking over that as well?

I'm not saying we should ignore ebola, it's obviously a concern, but tone it down a notch lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I'm not saying we should ignore ebola, it's obviously a concern, but tone it down a notch lads.

Who's panicking in the first place?

I think the vast majority of people in this thread are doing what they would do in any other thread. Discuss the thread topic.
    Isn't that the point of a thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The original patient had been in the hospital for a couple of days, maybe more, when the quarantine order was put in place. This officer had no direct contact with him. I'm pretty sure they were referring to a he at the press conference?

I remember at the time a deputy was complaining about being ordered into the apartment with no protective gear. I wonder if it's the same one. Poor guy.

Also, the reason they had to order quarantine was because the family were leaving, sending their kids to school and accepting visitors into the apartment. If he did get infected by virus particles in the apartment or by the family members then chances are others did too.

At least this time, they have brought the patient straight to hospital and have sealed his car for decontamination and sent in the hazmat people to deal with that.

Is that to everyone on this thread?

I agree, discussion does not equal panic.

Back on story, heres an interview regarding the Sergeant and his wifes fears.

"That starts putting question marks in your mind," Sgt. Monnig said. "You know when you go home and then the next day you start hearing that equipment is being quarantined or asked to be bagged up, that you had on or were driving.

"Then your question is, 'well, what about me?' And so those were the questions that were raised."

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/health/2014/10/03/lisa-monnig-michael-dallas-cdc-ebola-sheriff-dyer/16672385/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Holsten wrote: »
    Without doubt. Hopefully they can throw a cap on this soon.

The two above, mostly. I should have quoted rather than making a blanket statement though.

Smidge wrote: »
    Is that to everyone on this thread?

Nah, definitely not, but I can see how it looked like it.

I lived in Dallas for many years, and one thing that could be a problem is people trying to help.
    Any sort of a crisis and they are there at your door offering to help. I bet that Deputies wife has people bringing food over as I type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The two above, mostly. I should have quoted rather than making a blanket statement though.

Check out WakeUp's posts if you want a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Birroc, don't post in this thread again. You had a warning and then an infraction, if you can't play nice you can't play at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Jake1 wrote: »
    I lived in Dallas for many years, and one thing that could be a problem is people trying to help.
    Any sort of a crisis and they are there at your door offering to help. I bet that Deputies wife has people bringing food over as I type

Very neighbourly Texans, I've a few friends who been beneficiaries of lasagnes and apple pies. But they're probably just leaving them on the doorstep this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I just hope a year from now, we aren't asking "why didn't someone do something sooner?"

This has the potential to be the number one threat to global peace, security and nation's economies if left unchecked. It really calls for a massive international effort to get it under control in West Africa, and the quicker the better.

As for panic, there's nothing wrong with some constructive panic and more urgency in confronting the problem. In Sierra Leone and Liberia the epidemice seems to be out of control. And the only way Ebola has been contained in the past was when most if not all victims were tracked down and isolated. That's not happening now.

The others deputies who worked with Monnig now reported sick CNN

Being reported that Norway(which we knew), Sweden, the Netherlands and Germany treating repatriated Ebola sufferers.

Smidge wrote: »
    Being reported that Norway(which we knew), Sweden, the Netherlands and Germany treating repatriated Ebola sufferers.

This is a massively risky approach as we saw with Spain. If they can contain it in an isolation unit great. But if it gets out of there, then containing it may become impossible. I just hope they know what they are doing. It just takes one mistake from one person to take it out into the public as happened in Spain.

I can imagine the Irish hospitals treating an Ebola patient on a trolley in the corridor of A&E for a couple of days while waiting for a bed to become available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Of course the really scary part of contracting this virus is not necessarily that you will die a horrible death because with proper medical care a healthy person has a 60-70% chance of survival, no the scariest scenario is that the system will become so inundated with victims that it will not be able to cope with all the patients presenting for treatment, this is why it is absolutely crucial that we do not allow it to spread throughout the general population, how we achieve that however is the 64 million dollar question...

realweirdo wrote: »
    This is a massively risky approach as we saw with Spain. If they can contain it in an isolation unit great. But if it gets out of there, then containing it may become impossible. I just hope they know what they are doing. It just takes one mistake from one person to take it out into the public as happened in Spain.

My question would be this.......
    How many are they going to repatriate?
    Initially, this seems like they have it under control etc as its 1 patient.
    Do they continue to repatriate if the numbers of their citizens who contract the virus increases?
    Is there a cut off point as to the numbers?
    Seems a risky road to go down all right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Jake1 wrote: »
    The others deputies who worked with Monnig now reported sick CNN

And how many people have they interacted with and arrested that they could spread it too.
    Lax is not the word.

They showed some of the British soldiers on the news going through the routine of taking off their protective suits. It seems a very complex operation. Remove suit, wash gloves, remove mask, wash gloves, etc etc. It just needs one false move to infect yourself. I think the spanish nurse forgot to wash her gloves before removing her mask or something like that. If everyone follows the process, the risk of infection is low. If one person forgets a step, then it puts a load more at risk.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mug_holder

anyone who owns stock in airlines may want to sell as if it gets worse , airline travel will be effected

if it gets much worse , i hope the goverment is prepared to halt immigration or travel from africa , the labour party and the irish times wont like it but liberal sensibilities will have to take a back seat in an emergency

Advertisement