Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

My brother is working out in Ghana atm. He's due home next Saturday. What are the odds that travel restrictions will be in place by then?

I'd say highly unlikely - sure Ghana hasn't even had a reported case, and Ivory Coast is likely the highest risk Country for the next new West African Country to be affected based on proximity to Liberia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Sclosages wrote: »
    If it gets into Lagos, we be fooked. Nigerians travel to here and the UK frequently. If it's in the UK, it will be here.

Ah yes, lots of empathy for the poor Nigerians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

My brother is working out in Ghana atm. He's due home next Saturday. What are the odds that travel restrictions will be in place by then?

He'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Unfortunately, I'm not a pessimistic person.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

He's ghana make it in time:D

• Advertisement

:D

haha - that's brilliant! Can't believe I wrote that - well spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Jake1 wrote: »

Hard to know whether they're being genuinely cautious / concerned or just using the situation as a means to an end.
    The workers, who are seeking to unionize

I can't imagine that the airline wouldn't provide them with proper protective gear. Sure it'd be in their own best interests to do so.

Hard to know whether they're being genuinely cautious / concerned or just using the situation as a means to an end.

I can't imagine that the airline wouldn't provide them with proper protective gear. Sure it'd be in their own best interests to do so.

Can't say I blame them tbh - when you're dealing with something that has the potential to kill you - then you're entitled to demand the appropriate level of protection if you are expected to do your job.

It's obvious that Airline cleaning personnel aren't kitted out to be dealing with deadly viruses, and if cases become more regular in the "West" these sort of knock on effects will have dramatic economic and social implications.

Marburg has reared its ugly head in Uganda.

Three Ugandans are being monitored in medical isolation for possibly contracting the Ebola-like Marburg virus, health officials said Tuesday, after a hospital worker died.

http://news.yahoo.com/three-ugandans-isolation-ebola-marburg-virus-death-190526918.html

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/site/index.php?pageid=event_update_read&edis_id=BH-20141006-45530-UGA&uid=15375

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

:D Yes of course - let's have a retrospective in 2015 and see who was over-hyping the situation. To be honest I find this thread absolutely fascinating. There is a thesis here for sure!
    Some lad just suggested that the nurses and doctors will strike for more money to deal with ebola. You cant make this stuff up, well actually most of you can.

Must be great to live in a smug little bubble. The bold bit gives away that you're a student of some kind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Wars Pestilence Famine Death. I am not one bit religious but those 4 lads on the horses seem to be making good progress!

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Must be great to live in a smug little bubble. The bold bit gives away that you're a student of some kind?

Well we're all students in life aren't we? My college days are over if that's what you're asking. The username gives away that you're a worm of some kind? I am a scallion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

And I am a Barnacle.

And I am the most popular thing on the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

youtube! wrote: »
    Wars Pestilence Famine Death. I am not one bit religious but those 4 lads on the horses seem to be making good progress!

Don't forget to add in the recent 'blood moon' etc..

on the plus side though:

1. Naomi Campbell To Launch Benefit Fashion Shows To Fight Ebola. :confused:
    2. Robots are being deployed with powerful directional UV-c burst lights to eliminate surface traces of it - this is a good idea actually...

Well we're all students in life aren't we? My college days are over if that's what you're asking. The username gives away that you're a worm of some kind? I am a scallion.

Peist is the irish for worm, not a type of worm. Pfft :rolleyes:

You being a scallion and calling yourself a spring onion is quite indicative actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

An ebola vaccine could be ready by the end of the year. So, would you take it? Surely they can't do the amount of testing required in a matter of months.
    (CNN) -- The "extraordinary" rush to develop an Ebola vaccine is moving forward apace, the lead researcher told CNN's Christiane Amanpour on Tuesday, adding that the fast pace may engender ethical concerns about how it the vaccine is eventually implemented.
    "This is, frankly, extraordinary," Adrian Hill of the Jenner Institute at Oxford University said. "We are trying to do in a few months something that might typically take 10 years. We've had accelerated reviews of all our applications, regulatory and ethical approvals, and so on."
    "And we're now trying to proceed so quickly that if things go well, by the end of the year, this vaccine might actually be being used in the three affected countries in West Africa."
    He said that the vaccine has been shown to be "really quite remarkably protective" in studies on monkeys at the National Institutes of Health in the U.S.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health/ebola-vaccine-ethics/

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Peist is the irish for worm, not a type of worm. Pfft :rolleyes:

Really?

http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fgb/p%C3%A9ist

No need to apologise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    An ebola vaccine could be ready by the end of the year. So, would you take it?

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health/ebola-vaccine-ethics/

Nope.

I don't understand whatever happened to testing periods in new medical developments. There was a time when new drugs had to undergo lengthy trial periods,; now all us gob-daws are expected to line up and stretch out our arms for whatever yer having yerself, no worries about....ooooh, let's say narcolepsy after the swine flu vaccine or Guillain Barre, premature menopause et al from Gardasil.

• Advertisement

No your not!

Godammit your'e right I am 3rd after Google and FB,, feck that!

No your not!

I'll be watching you tonight.

I'll be watching you tonight.

;);)

Really?

http://breis.focloir.ie/en/fgb/p%C3%A9ist

No need to apologise

I think you need to actually learn how to read a dictionary :pac:

youtube! wrote: »
    Godammit your'e right I am 3rd after Google and FB,, feck that!

Do the sites that fullblownrose likes ever appear on "most popular websites in Ireland" listings? I don't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Joe Doe wrote: »
    2. Robots are being deployed with powerful directional UV-c burst lights to eliminate surface traces of it - this is a good idea actually...
    They could have used that yolk in that TV series the strain.
    ceadaoin. wrote: »
    An ebola vaccine could be ready by the end of the year. So, would you take it? Surely they can't do the amount of testing required in a matter of months.
    This is how the zombie apocalypse is going to start, they try to fix it but just make a new more powerful virus that turns people into zombies. I saw it all in a dream, or a movie, I'm absolutely, almost completely, 50/50, confident it's going to go down that way, probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

ScumLord wrote: »

This is how the zombie apocalypse is going to start, they try to fix it but just make a new more powerful virus that turns people into zombies. I saw it all in a dream, or a movie, I'm absolutely, almost completely, 50/50, confident it's going to go down that way, probably.

LoL..I can see you are taking this seriously. :)

But in all fairness, how messed up is it for the poor nurse who was only doing her job. What a horrific consequence. I hope she gets better.

Do the sites that fullblownrose likes ever appear on "most popular websites in Ireland" listings? I don't see them.

I don't think there are any sites I like in particular. Facebook or this site, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

snubbleste wrote: »
    Spanish newspaper 'finds' her mobile number and calls her..
    El Mundo - 'I don't know how I caught Ebola'

also she is deteriorating fast
    http://www.elmundo.es/madrid/2014/10/08/54346601e2704e35598b4571.html

That is some gutter journalism right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

ScumLord wrote: »

I was talking to someone back in Ireland about the strain the other day and they'd never heard of it. It's not bad

Advertisement