Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    That is some gutter journalism right there.

I couldnt read those links,but did hear about this earlier. Disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But in all fairness, how messed up is it for the poor nurse who was only doing her job. What a horrific consequence. I hope she gets better.
    It;s an unfortunate risk of the job. That's why many of us see nurses as heroes, they're the front line. Any person that spends time in hospital knows they'll probably spend 98% of that time getting cared for by nurses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

I'd be inclined to say as soon as there is a confirmed case in Ireland take precautions not to expose yourself unnecessarily to any risk of infection.

If there are more than one case its up to yourself - but I for one will probably take my chances with a few books and some quality home time until I see what happens.

Unfortunately, I'm not a pessimistic person, but I tend to agree with most posters here that suggest that Ireland's health system is totally incapable of dealing with this Virus.

The cynic in me would even go so far as to suggest that a case of Ebola here would be exactly what the Unions have been waiting for and you'd see strikes of Nurses and Junior doctors all over the place. Kind of like the Train Strike for All-Ireland weekend - a good opportunity to put a gun to the governments head and get a pay rise.

Ah come on I think we Irish value human life a bit more than that! Intensive care units are never left unstaffed during nurses strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Can't believe 2 doctors treating the Spanish nurse are now being investigated for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    An ebola vaccine could be ready by the end of the year. So, would you take it? Surely they can't do the amount of testing required in a matter of months.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/07/health/ebola-vaccine-ethics/

The likes of us won't be given the chance to take it - such a vaccine would be only for emergency personnel in the the rest of the world outside west African countries effected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Can't believe 2 doctors treating the Spanish nurse are now being investigated for it.

If they have it with all that protection it is very worrying indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just seen a British man may have died of the disease in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

Is there anything in particular that has caused this spreading of the disease , is it getting more contagious ?
    Just wondering as Ebola has been around since the 70's as far as i know

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

People are saying the media are fear mongering. What about this statement from a senior member of the US military? It does seem a bit hysterical. It seems to me that he using the threat of an outbreak to further his own agenda - more funds for his border patrol?
    WASHINGTON, Oct. 8, 2014 – The potential spread of Ebola into Central and Southern America is a real possibility, the commander of U.S. Southern Command told an audience at the National Defense University here yesterday.
    “By the end of the year, there’s supposed to be 1.4 million people infected with Ebola and 62 percent of them dying, according to the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention],” Marine Corps Gen. John F. Kelly said. “That’s horrific. And there is no way we can keep Ebola [contained] in West Africa.”
    If it comes to the Western Hemisphere, many countries have little ability to deal with an outbreak of the disease, the general said.

“So, much like West Africa, it will rage for a period of time,” Kelly said.
    This is a particularly possible scenario if the disease gets to Haiti or Central America, he said. If the disease gets to countries like Guatemala, Honduras or El Salvador, it will cause a panic and people will flee the region, the general said.
    “If it breaks out, it’s literally, ‘Katie bar the door,’ and there will be mass migration into the United States,” Kelly said. “They will run away from Ebola, or if they suspect they are infected, they will try to get to the United States for treatment.”

Also, transnational criminal networks smuggle people and those people can be carrying Ebola, the general said. Kelly spoke of visiting the border of Costa Rica and Nicaragua with U.S. embassy personnel. At that time, a group of men “were waiting in line to pass into Nicaragua and then on their way north,” he recalled.
    “The embassy person walked over and asked who they were and they told him they were from Liberia and they had been on the road about a week,” Kelly continued. “They met up with the network in Trinidad and now they were on their way to the United States -- illegally, of course.”

Those men, he said, “could have made it to New York City and still be within the incubation period for Ebola.”

Kelly said his command is in close contact with U.S. Africa Command to see what works and what does not as it prepares for a possible outbreak in the area of operations.
    (Follow Jim Garamone on Twitter: @garamoneDoDNews)

Hopefully it will be contained. Could you imagine if suddenly in a few months there are 20, then 50, then 100 cases in Spain for example. What is the EU going to do? They would have to consider border controls within the EU. The political ramifications could be huge if something like that happened.

• Advertisement

60 People Locked In Building After 4 Suspected Ebola Cases Near Paris

Following news of the death of a British man in Macedonia from Ebola, RTL reports that 60 people are locked inside a Department of Medical and Social Coordination (DASS) building in Cergy-Pontoise (on the northeast edge of Paris) following Ebola-like symptoms in 4 people who returned from Guinea.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-09/60-people-locked-building-after-4-suspected-ebola-cases-near-paris

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just heard on the BBC that Gatwick, Heathrow, and the Eurostar Terminal will be conducting screening on passesngers either arrivng directly or if their journey orriginally started in one of the three most affected countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

This is my favourite thread, gotta get my fix! Its like a little bubble of madness in Boards. The mass hysteria of it all, posters whipping each other up into a frenzy..... to only log out for a nice cup of tea, a chocolate biscuit and a bit of classical music. Ahhhh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

A British safety company has been asked to make 100,000 Ebola protection suits, an order up from 50,000 on Thursday morning. They still require taping at seams. Can see them becoming popular outfit for Halloween...

If had a patent lawyer and manufacturing plant handy, I'd build, pack and ship out UV tents. Basically a pop up blacked-out tent with x6 320degree, 200w, UV-c florescent bulbs. This would mean 'non-contact' 99% or so rate of zapping this ebo'worm within few seconds, as long as folks remember to lift arms and boots and fill up the porta-generator, simples. Anyone due up for Dragon's Den this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

The situation is now out of control in Africa. That is a fact. Ebola is spreading into Europe and despite everything that skeptics keep telling us about ebola not being very infectious, it would seem that its spreading at a rapid rate.

If anything the ebola threat is being down played in parts to avoid mass panic. I have a feeling that in a years time we'll be looking at hundreds of thousands of deaths across the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

The world is starting to go mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

It was only a matter of time before the outbreak got out of Africa and into europe/states.

I believe hospitals here are issuing forms on infectious risks when somebody dies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I'm not one for paranoia, but Jesus, this Ebola business is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Putinovsky wrote: »
    The situation is now out of control in Africa. That is a fact. Ebola is spreading into Europe and despite everything that skeptics keep telling us about ebola not being very infectious, it would seem that its spreading at a rapid rate.

If anything the ebola threat is being down played in parts to avoid mass panic. I have a feeling that in a years time we'll be looking at hundreds of thousands of deaths across the world.

In a years time, close to 5 million people will have died from malaria, TB & diarrhea =/

Where in Europe is it spreading at a rapid rate btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

In a years time, close to 5 million people will have died from malaria, TB & diarrhea =/

Spain!!

It was zero native infections, now it's ONE!!!!!

That's a quadtrillion squared growth rate!!!!!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Mind you - the price of petrol should come down as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

I blame immigrants

*waits for someone to say Moore Street*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Every single person on this planet is GOING TO DIE!!!!!

Well at some stage.

The planet itself is going to die eventually. Killed by that disease we call the sun.

The scary thing about ebola is that theres no antidote though. Malaria, TB and diarrhea are all easily treatable and though its tragic that it kills so many in the undeveloped world none of those cited have the potential to literally bring the world to a halt.

Spain!!

It was zero native infections, now it's ONE!!!!!

That's a quadtrillion squared growth rate!!!!!!

WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!

Mind you - the price of petrol should come down as a result.

It's early days, I wouldn't be so dismissive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    This is my favourite thread, gotta get my fix! Its like a little bubble of madness in Boards. The mass hysteria of it all, posters whipping each other up into a frenzy..... to only log out for a nice cup of tea, a chocolate biscuit and a bit of classical music. Ahhhh....

Ebola's in Ireland! A man is listening to classical music. Holy ****!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

75% chance it would reach France and so it seems. I for one am scared, everyone should start prepping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

False alarm in Paris.
    Anxiety and panic is going to cause loads of these reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Every single person on this planet is GOING TO DIE!!!!!

Well at some stage.
    The planet itself is going to die eventually. Killed by that disease we call the sun.

Why did I give up drinking, (opens can of dutch gold)

Advertisement