Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 489 ✭✭Sclosages

In a years time, close to 5 million people will have died from malaria, TB & diarrhea =/

Where in Europe is it spreading at a rapid rate btw?

There are vaccinations against malaria and TB. Diarrhoea is not a disease, but a symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

javagal wrote: »
    False alarm in Paris.

Citation needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

javagal wrote: »
    False alarm in Paris.

They surrendered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

In a years time, close to 5 million people will have died from malaria, TB & diarrhea =/

I think the point is though, that the situation with other diseases killing millions in the third world is stable, unlikely to change significantly for the worst, and unlikely to affect us. The Ebola situation, on the other hand is very much a new phenomenon, and there is a good chance that it will appear in the West, in small clusters at least.
    Sclosages wrote: »
    There are vaccinations against malaria and TB. Diarrhoea is not a disease, but a symptom.

Hate to be overly pedantic, but....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

fedor.2. wrote: »
    At what stage, if any, should we panic like?

When it becomes endemic and uncontrollable in Africa which its a few months away from being.

At the monent the outbreak is still relatively small and yet still its managed to jump to the US via air travel and Europe via a returning patient.

The more cases in Africa the more probability of it spreading outside Africa. I see the biggest risk is due to the thousands of western health workers heading to Africa. But they have no choice.

The fight to defeat ebola will be won or lost in west africa and probably before christmas. Unfortunately the exponential growth model is still true.

Only people suffering from blissful ignorance aren't alarmed about this. Think people who continued to play cards while the Titanic started to sink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ebola Erotica: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O7Y8C4G

For sick individuals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

The world has too many people anyway, we need good war or plague to cut the numbers every so often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Just reading that a lot of scientists think this could mutate and become air born but are being told to shut up by goverments so as not to spread panic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Just reading that a lot of scientists think this could mutate and become air born but are being told to shut up by goverments so as not to spread panic.

Complete and utter horse manure. I would like to explain why but I am not sure it would do any good. Search this thread for airborne for explanation why its impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Do you have a link

• Advertisement

jamesbere wrote: »
    Do you have a link

i doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

wazky wrote: »
    The world has too many people anyway, we need good war or plague to cut the numbers every so often.

As long as it's just travellers and West Africans dying most people won't care, which is disgraceful.

I am looking forward to reading some of these posts in say January. I bet some of the hype clowns will have closed their accounts!

oh dear, some Spanish nurses not wanting to treat posible Ebola patients

from the Telegraph

19.40 Fiona Govan reports from Madrid, where medical staff are now refusing to treat Ebola patients for fear of infection:
    Scared medical staff in Madrid refused to treat possible Ebola patients on Thursday for fear of becoming infected themselves, as the condition of the Spanish nurse who contracted the virus deteriorated further.
    The Carlos III hospital, where seven quarantined cases are being treated, has had to draft in extra staff after nurses there refused to turn up for shifts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11152472/Briton-dies-of-Ebola-in-Macedonia-live.html

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I am looking forward to reading some of these posts in say January. I bet some of the hype clowns will have closed their accounts!

'cause they'll ALL BE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(hungover)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

stop bringing them home to get treated.
    has no one heard of hospital ships?
    Get every country to task there hospital ships off the African coast and treat them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

This Macedonian situation appears to be the worst so far. Apparently the man was only medically assessed today at about 1 pm when he was admitted to hospital. It seems he was staying at a hotel in the Capitsl - which has now been sealed off with all staff still inside !!!

He was there since he arrived in the country from Britain apparently on 2nd Oct. he couldn't even communicate when admitted and you'd have to wonder what precautions if any the staff of the hospital took for their own safety or that of the patients at such short notice

All here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11152472/Briton-dies-of-Ebola-in-Macedonia-live.html

I can't wait to see the amount of people bleeding from the eyes at Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This Macedonian situation appears to be the worst so far. Apparently the man was only medically assessed today at about 1 pm when he was admitted to hospital. It seems he was staying at a hotel in the Capitsl - which has now been sealed off with all staff still inside !!!

He was there since he arrived in the country from Britain apparently on 2nd Oct. he couldn't even communicate when admitted and you'd have to wonder what precautions if any the staff of the hospital took for their own safety or that of the patients at such short notice

All here:

I've read that this has been ruled doubtful to be ebola. They have sent samples off to be sure. The guy was an alcoholic and had internal bleeding caused by organ damage as well as possibly another illness which caused a fever. The symptoms of ebola have a lot in common with other illnesses so we are going to see lots of false alarms.

Also his partner confirmed that they had not travelled to any ebola infected areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I've read that this has been ruled doubtful to be ebola. They have sent samples off to be sure. The guy was an alcoholic and had internal bleeding caused by organ damage. The symptoms of ebola have a lot in common with other illnesses so we are going to see lots of false alarms.

Jaysus I sure hope so. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Beginning to get away from them now. Ah well everyone shouted "wacist" when it was suggested the borders of the African countries should have been sealed weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

For fukk sake. Ebola is not a fledgling bird, flapping it's wings in its nest, waiting for the inevitable day when it finally takes to the skies.
    Too many people have watched too many sh1t movies. Or, more likely, the same sh1t movie too many times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Beginning to get away from them now. Ah well everyone shouted "wacist" when it was suggested the borders of the African countries should have been sealed weeks ago. Too little too late.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I've read that this has been ruled doubtful to be ebola. They have sent samples off to be sure. The guy was an alcoholic and had internal bleeding caused by organ damage as well as possibly another illness which caused a fever. The symptoms of ebola have a lot in common with other illnesses so we are going to see lots of false alarms.

where did you read this? any link handy

Beginning to get away from them now. Ah well everyone shouted "wacist" when it was suggested the borders of the African countries should have been sealed weeks ago.

If you were in front of me now, I would probably slap you to try and wake you up. You should have gone with Sleepwalker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

and bang goes the spanish holidays:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

What I find odd are the people who are poking fun at those who believe this is going to turn into a serious crisis. Some here would have you believe that this is minor issue that will pass, I don't think any world leaders, health organizations, monetary institutions etc. are treating this the same way. The World Bank will be giving nearly a billion euros, America are sending over 4,000 troops to Sierra Leone, there are regular crisis meetings being held with world leaders. This is an absolutely huge issue yet some posters would have you believe that this a nothing issue

Beginning to get away from them now. Ah well everyone shouted "wacist" when it was suggested the borders of the African countries should have been sealed weeks ago. Too little too late.

Because they shouldn't have been. We've had a lot of 'suspicious' cases today. So far the only confirmed cases outside of West Africa are the fatality in Dallas, and the nurse in Spain. So I can't quite see hows you can say it's 'getting away from them now'.
    Oh and Nigeria and Senegal have had no further cases, and all contacts are passed the 21 day incubation period, so Nigeria and Senegal are now Ebola free. Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do you see the problem with what you're saying?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Seriously are you cancelling your fecking holidays over this?

Advertisement