Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

jsd1004 wrote: »
    I love a bit of racism. We should should just isolate all sub Saharan Africas because they spread HIV as well. They don't use condoms like...as if we do..

The logical reaction to contain would likely be the same if it was the Scandinavian countries. No racism involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I love a bit of racism. We should should just isolate all sub Saharan Africas because they spread HIV as well. They don't use condoms like...as if we do..

And I love a bit of immaturity.

The reason for isolating west africa or the 3 countries most affected is to contain it and because that's where it originated, largely due to the consumption of bush meat in those countries. Open borders just isn't going to solve this.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

1 in 14

Cool. I'll throw a 100 euro on it. See you this time next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

I haven't watched the news in months but wtf?! I'm watching it tonight. People dropping like flies, everywhere on high alert. Is this the new aids

You should probably bolt your door tonight..... so the public can remain safe from you, you sound delirious!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The more I read the more I decide that travel bans need to be enforced. No travel out of the three affected countries; no travel to except for essential medical / military personnel

Would the people delivering aid be allowed to fly home? They'd be the ones in closest contact with the sick... while those that haven't been near anyone that was ill would be stuck there to get sick and pass it on to military etc?

Makes no sense really... And that's even before you go into things like border security and the like.

Tell entire populations that they can't leave their home and more people than ever will try to leave. There'd probably be more people travelling from WA than there ever was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Cool. I'll throw a 100 euro on it. See you this time next year

Sweet are sure you will remember?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    You should probably bolt your door tonight..... so the public can remain safe from you, you sound delirious!

Bit uncalled for, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

What the hell has it to do with racism????? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

mikom wrote: »
    Gonna get to the hotel and order the biggest ebola soup you ever saw.

Faith dictates you get it. Don't worry people will laugh about it in years to come.

• Advertisement

Bit uncalled for, no?

What? Bolting your door or leaving it open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Peist2007 wrote: »
    What the hell has it to do with racism????? :confused::confused:

It's racism against western, most likely white people for daring to suggest that countries that happen to be black should be basically quarantined due to a massive outbreak of a highly infectious, highly deadly disease. The racism is that the poster in question thinks a white person is incapable of separating the medical facts of the case from the skin colour of most victims.

In other words, they're seeking to find offence where there is none :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

There was a guy on Sky news earlier from a Pharma company that are furiously working on a vaccine for this Ebola
    The interviewer pointed out that Ebola has been in Africa since the 1970's
    If black people are dying thats one thing, but once white people start dying its a different story

I was opposed to bringing infected white people back to Europe to be treated, so its not a racism issue. If it spreads to the rest of Africa, then that's an even bigger problem than one or two coming direct to Europe. The real nightmare scenario would be if it spreads among migrants waiting to cross over from north africa.

We can isolate this while its relatively small. Or we can isolate it when its probably too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If black people are dying thats one thing, but once white people start dying its a different story
    The Onion had this covered
    http://www.theonion.com/articles/experts-ebola-vaccine-at-least-50-white-people-awa,36580/

There was a guy on Sky news earlier from a Pharma company that are furiously working on a vaccine for this Ebola

Totally agree but it has been largely an African issue, mostly related to the consumption of bush meat. There should be more than enough wealth and resources in Africa to come up with a vaccine, if governments weren't more interested in going to wars against each other or stealing their nations wealth.
    The west can't be blamed for Ebola or its spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

There have never been these numbers dying from Ebola before, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

hmmm wrote: »

I don't think there's racism involved, any lack of caring is a lack of caring for poor people. The gatekeepers and propagators of news media will obviously care about their own interests and they are, I would wager, not predominantly poor, or indeed of african descent.

There have never been these numbers dying from Ebola before, ever.

The human population has never been this big before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would the people delivering aid be allowed to fly home? They'd be the ones in closest contact with the sick... while those that haven't been near anyone that was ill would be stuck there to get sick and pass it on to military etc?

Makes no sense really... And that's even before you go into things like border security and the like.

Tell entire populations that they can't leave their home and more people than ever will try to leave. There'd probably be more people travelling from WA than there ever was.

Set up containment facilities in bordering nations. Returning personnel get quarantined there for 21 days first.

As for the second part, you don't make it a choice. You can shut a nation's borders by force if necessary.

In terms of isolating west africa, the nearest analagy would be a gangrenous limb.

You can cut off the gangrenous limb and save the patient, or you can keep the gangrenous limb and watch the patient slowly succumb, all limbs intact.

Tough choices will have to be made at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The Spanish nurses dog was killed and incinerated this morning

realweirdo wrote: »
    In terms of isolating west africa, the nearest analagy would be a gangrenous limb.

You can cut off the gangrenous limb and save the patient, or you can keep the gangrenous limb and watch the patient slowly succumb, all limbs intact.

That's cold man, real cold! These are people you're talking about not gangrenous limbs. You'll be alright so long as you got your bio chem suitt a few months back when the first cases came out, if you didn't then tough titty .....thems the breaks!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Set up containment facilities in bordering nations. Returning personnel get quarantined there for 21 days first.

As for the second part, you don't make it a choice. You can shut a nation's borders by force if necessary.

You can't stop people from crossing them though. Where do you think immigrants from war-torn countries come from? Their borders don't tend to be open to passerby's.

Taking control of one single border means effectively overthrowing two countries governments, telling them what they are or are not in charge of. It's not going to happen.

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    That's cold man, real cold! These are people you're talking about not gangrenous limbs. You'll be alright so long as you got your bio chem suitt a few months back when the first cases came out, if you didn't then tough titty .....thems the breaks!

It's cold, but logical. Here's my suggestion, all the bleeding heart liberals in the west suit up, travel out to west africa and volunteer to fight this epidemic. Then you will see what principles they actually have. It's one thing when someone else has to confront it, its another when they have to confront it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭deseil

Your a gangerous limb! Maybe we should
    Cut you off

deseil wrote: »
    Your a gangerous limb! Maybe we should
    Cut you off

It was an analagy that you took as literal unfortunately. Let's just invite all the ebola victims here, let's do that will we? I'm so glad you aren't in charge of defeating this.

The whole point of isolating west africa has little to do not with restricting people but restricting the spread of a highly contagious disease. Clearly this is a concept far above the heads of some people.

Instead they have the racist card at the ready to play at every opportunity. They are more interested in childishly accusing others of racism than fighting ebola. Immature and sad really.

• Advertisement

The whole point of isolating west africa has little to do not with restricting people but restricting the spread of a highly contagious disease. Clearly this is a concept far above the heads of some people.

Instead they have the racist card at the ready to play at every opportunity. They are more interested in childishly accusing others of racism than fighting ebola. Immature and sad really.

More like nobody has put forward their opinions or a proposal on how it would be effectively achieved.

Who is responsible for it.. how will it be enforced over tens of thousands of square miles of 'border' areas, and how do you deal with the inevitable panic and rushes to the border once people are told they have to just stay where they are and face death?

Would you try to leave a place where you were told that people could not leave because they are doomed? I fcuking would.

Advertisement