Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Turtwig wrote: »
    About the same as aids doing so. Possible, but an asteroid hitting your home is also possible.

There is way more of a chance of your house getting hit by an asteroid.

For ebola to become airborne, it would need a double mutation. First it would need to move from being a virus of the blood to being a virus of the respiratory system. It then would have to mutate again to become airborne. There’s is no precedent for any virus to change its basic mode of transmission so radically.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Batten down the hatches it's spreading with air travel - think about it if you lived within that area , you would do anything to get out , this is going to get a hell of lot worse , it's rampant and getting worse , don't be fooled by mainstream media , behind the scenes it's a full scale panic but through the mainstream media they don't want panic -
    People need to wake up !!
    I hope I'm wrong .............

masonchat wrote: »
    What is the right thing to do in a situation like this?

The right thing to do is this;

(1) Send aid and especially medical supplies to West Africa. Lots of it. They treatment centres keep running out of the basics.
    (2) Send more experienced health workers and experts to West Africa.
    (3) Stop the panic and fear in the rest of the world by repeating the facts over and over again. The amount of BS on the media and social media is truly outstanding. 99%+ of ebola victims will be in West Africa.
    (4) I expect the first vaccines to be in mass production in 1-3 months. Vaccines should be made available free to all affected countries.
    (5) Buy GSK shares

Exactly, but some on here would have you think that this is not possible, ignorant.

It is not possible for ebola to become airborne. It's the same possibility as ebola becoming a bird. It wouldn't really be ebola then, would it. :D

nokia69 wrote: »
    but the the virus is now changing/evolving faster than ever, so who knows what could happen

if it changed and took longer to kill people that would be just as bad as becoming airborne

this needs to be stopped as soon as possible

what are you on about?

We have been studying viruses for over 100 years, and we've never seen a human virus change the way it is transmitted.

HIV has infected millions of humans since the early 1990s. It is still transmitted among humans by introduction of the virus into the body by sex, contaminated needles, or during childbirth.

Hepatitis C virus has infected millions of humans since its discovery in the 1980s. It is still transmitted among humans by introduction of the virus into the body by contaminated needles, blood, and during birth.

Why would ebola be special??? Because there is a thread in AH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't know what scares me more the HSE getting involved or the virus itself

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

VinLieger wrote: »
    So the HSE have decided to not do any screening AT ALL at Irish airports cus apparently it's more effective to do it when someone's leaving a country the Virus is present in.....

http://www.thejournal.ie/ebola-ireland-guidelines-1716135-Oct2014/

What the actual ****? I get that it's hard to spot but this is ****ing ridiculous, it's already spread to countries outside of Africa due to extremely lax exit protocols in the countries it's present in, what the **** are the HSE smoking?

Because it's largely a really expensive money pit that won't detect anything. It's just the US and UK taking pointless public reassurance measures. Expect more false positives and fear than anything else.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Because it's largely a really expensive money pit that won't detect anything. It's just the US and UK taking pointless public reassurance measures.

Exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Meglamonia wrote: »
    What are the chances of it mutating and becoming airborne?

3.50 %

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

So,
    based on this episode, how many african lives is one western life worth :confused:

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    So,
    based on this episode, how many african lives is one western life worth :confused:

It has been around since 1970s and Big Pharma never got around to creating large quantities of vaccine. But they will fast-track and mass produce it now (because it is in Texas) as long as they know someone will pick up the bill.
    Some people would be happy to close the borders with affected countries and let it be survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ever since this outbreak first started and the first news reports started coming in, I'm like...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Batten down the hatches it's spreading with air travel - think about it if you lived within that area , you would do anything to get out , this is going to get a hell of lot worse , it's rampant and getting worse , don't be fooled by mainstream media , behind the scenes it's a full scale panic but through the mainstream media they don't want panic -
    People need to wake up !!
    I hope I'm wrong .............

Yeah , cos most of those people living in West Africa can afford to just hop on a plane and leave the continent...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Have the people in Spain been cleared yet?
    The ones who were brought in for monitoring after being in contact with the infected nurse..I'd say it's been 48 hours since..?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Have the people in Spain been cleared yet?
    The ones who were brought in for monitoring after being in contact with the infected nurse..I'd say it's been 48 hours since..?

They shouldn't be cleared until way after that Ebola can take up to 21 days to show symptoms

PucaMama wrote: »
    They shouldn't be cleared until way after that Ebola can take up to 21 days to show symptoms

I thought they'd test them and know sooner, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Look, should I be freaking out or what, just give it to me straight

I thought they'd test them and know sooner, though...

Would be a lot safer to quarantine

fedor.2. wrote: »

No

• Advertisement

PucaMama wrote: »
    Would be a lot safer to quarantine

First and foremost id hope but is there any reason they cant test once the persons quarantined? I'd be going gaga if it was purely a matter of waiting and seeing, with no test..

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

the_monkey wrote: »
    Yeah , cos most of those people living in West Africa can afford to just hop on a plane and leave the continent...

Well in that case planes must be empty flying in and out - someone seriously has a problem managing airlines so -
    Absolutely a main stream person you are ! Or as some people call one of the sheep ! :) baa byewwe

First and foremost id hope but is there any reason they cant test once the persons quarantined? I'd be going gaga if it was purely a matter of waiting and seeing, with no test..

Yes they can test but will it be 100 percent accurate is there any chance it might not show up is what I worry about

Michael Monnig in Dallas, has tested negative and been released from hospital

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hospital-no-signs-ebola-dallas-area-officer-174346701.html#WZEZ8iI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Michael Monnig in Dallas, has tested negative and been released from hospital

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/hospital-no-signs-ebola-dallas-area-officer-174346701.html#WZEZ8iI

How can they be so sure? I hope they used a proper test.

There's really only one way to test for Ebola, you need a flame-thrower and a piece of single-core eletrical cable:

WARNING - LOUD!!!

How can they be so sure? I hope they used a proper test.

How do you mean? Do you mean you hope they gave him a blood test as opposed to say a spelling test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

fedor.2. wrote: »

Absolutely not, some people love drama and ramping it up to the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

How do you mean? Do you mean you hope they gave him a blood test as opposed to say a spelling test?

No of course they used a blood test - but for all our sakes I hope they didn't just use a bunch of the most sophisticated of laboratory equipment and techniques, but rather had Kurt Russell tie him to a seat, roughly cut him with a hunting knife across his hand to extract blood onto a petri-dish, and then using a flame-thrower heated piece of stripped electrical wire, test to see if the blood would leap from the dish when the wire was thrust into the it, which would indicate that the blood was in fact contaminated with Ebola. That's spelling it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

FlashR2D2 wrote: »
    Absolutely not, some people love drama and ramping it up to the max.

You can be sure that the same people who are saying "let's not panic" now will be screaming from the rooftops "why didn't someone do something?" if it does make it to Ireland. Only it will be too late.

Some people are confusing panic with legitimate concern and this particular outbreak of ebola for those familiar with it, is one to be legitimately concerned about. Anyone who wouldn't be clearly doesn't understand it.

If left unchecked it will lead to over 100,000 infections in Africa. Which increases exponentially the threat of a worldwide infection. This battle will be won or lost in Africa.

• Advertisement

Advertisement