Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

And this is the same reason the asymptomatic people can't spread this disease. In order to be able to spread disease, the person must be shedding virus. As we see from above, even early in the symptomatic stage of the disease it can be difficult to detect virus, so it's going to be impossible for that person to pass on virus to another. Could there be an outlier that could manage to attain higher than normal viral loads while remaining asymptomatic? Well anything is possible I suppose, but it would be so unlikely that I'm not going to worry about it.

I' probably repeating myself now but i have to wonder how long the average persn would be out and about in public and in contact with others, when they have symptoms and theyre therefore infectious- because the early symptoms are described as flu-like. Most people carry on as normal when they have the flu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I' probably repeating myself now but i have to wonder how long the average persn would be out and about in public and in contact with others, when they have symptoms and theyre therefore infectious- because the early symptoms are described as flu-like. Most people carry on as normal when they have the flu.

The question is when you're out and about in public, you and ebola, how often do you exchange bodily fluids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

The question is when you're out and about in public, you and ebola, how often do you exchange bodily fluids?

I'm forever trying to! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Like coughing or sneezing in someone's general vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Ficheall wrote: »
    Like coughing or sneezing in someone's general vicinity?

We'll sneezing isn't generally a symptom of ebola, so it's probably just flu. Or even more likely, just the 'common cold' (côs we all know people who always seem to get 'the flu')

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

We'll sneezing isn't generally a symptom of ebola, so it's probably just flu. Or even more likely, just the 'common cold' (côs we all know people who always seem to get 'the flu')

But you can sneeze for a non ebola reason while you have ebola- im not sick, ive no allergies, no cold or flu and not in a particularly dusty environment and i sneezed a few times already today. I automatically went to cover my face but Im sure a bit of moisture could have landed on my desk or anything i was standing close to andif i was in the early flu like stage of ebola and going out and about and sneezing away ..well..could be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

I don't see why that has to be done, just sounds racist to me.

It's disgraceful what amount of racism you're letting out with your statement. I will try to show you in different ways as I fear you might not understand what I'm saying otherwise:

1. Person A: These following countries/regions are where the virus has started to spread from and/or where it's an issue: X, Y, Z
    2. Person B: With no weight over the actual fact of the conversation (virus outbreak), I will point my finger to most the people in those countries, as they are not white!

Somebody makes a genuine comment reflecting a state of worrying and then someone else just acts the waggot and chimes in that the claim is racist since it happens that those countries have a black majority.

I still feel you haven't got this so let me put it in other words: If this was coming from any western european country, the message would have been the same, minus the names of the countries involved in the virus outbreak.

And finally, let's give this one more try: this virus (and most of them, while we're at it) doesn't give a **** about your race, or your general viewpoint on anything
    and.....
    wait for it.......
    not even about how much of a racist you are being right now.

Hope this clears out the fog for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

*facepalm*

I honestly think the "ebola panic" is nothing but a fabrication by the media to make us feel hatred towards our African counterparts. It is sickening and I am surprised none of you can see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Boogietime

*facepalm*

I honestly think the "ebola panic" is nothing but a fabrication by the media to make us feel hatred towards our African counterparts. It is sickening and I am surprised none of you can see through it.

Kind sir, you misplaced the facepalm: it has to be after your tinfoil hat rant, not before it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

*facepalm*

thats unfair. people from the west and other places are heading out there to try and help these people, putting themselves and others at risk and in some cases losing their lives. the west is just expected to sort this out though doing that costs both money and lives. without our help west Africa is lost. without our help the continent of Africa may be lost. they cant sort this out on their own I dont know where you are getting your information from I wonder are you paying attention. I would consider myself liberal about a number of things and liberal thinking has its place though when the time comes , and it might come, when hard decisions need to be taken, the liberal mindset with regard to this outbreak would be best served just standing aside. because that mindset isnt hard wired nor capable of making the decisions that might need to be taken. and its has nothing to do with race or creed or whatever. without our help and expertise west Africa is phucked. and they know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Boogietime wrote: »
    Kind sir, you misplaced the facepalm: it has to be after your tinfoil hat rant, not before it.

In this thread it's become difficult to tell what's real and what's Makie upie, but I think he might be being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

*facepalm*

I am surprised everyone hasn't yet latched on to the fact that you are trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Ok, I just realised that this is no longer just a poor man's disease, and is now a really scary thing.

Jebus help us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Just listening to Dr.Ciara Kelly on the Right Hook - dear God, if half what she's says about the HSE response is true we had better start ringing our undertakers. Apparently GPs have been issued with 1 (!) completely inadequate (her words) paper type suit to wear when treating potential Ebola cases. If you think you may have the virus, you're advised to report to your doctor's surgery and take a seat. Preferably travel by public transport and cough over as many people as possible. Shades of the Joe Jacob iodine tablet farce. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    From the CDC
    Although coughing and sneezing are not common symptoms of Ebola, if a symptomatic patient with Ebola coughs or sneezes on someone, and saliva or mucus come into contact with that person’s eyes, nose or mouth, these fluids may transmit the disease.

Yes but that doesn't mean it's airborne. If someone sneezes or coughs on you from close proximity it would be considered direct contact.

For it to be considered airborne the virus would need to remain viable and travel a greater distance while suspended within an aerosol droplet or attached to a dust particle etc, which isn't the case.

Just listening to Dr.Ciara Kelly on the Right Hook - dear God, if half what she's says about the HSE response is true we had better start ringing our undertakers. Apparently GPs have been issued with 1 (!) completely inadequate (her words) paper type suit to wear when treating potential Ebola cases. If you think you may have the virus, you're advised to report to your doctor's surgery and take a seat. Preferably travel by public transport and cough over as many people as possible. Shades of the Joe Jacob iodine tablet farce. :rolleyes:

I heard that. Shocking stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

Holy jesus. So if literally one of us contracts the virus there's no mechanism in place to keep it from spreading? May as well take a direct flight to Monrovia at this rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Head medical man for Ireland says it a very slim chance it will spread here.
    You cant say that, there is every chance it will spread here if there are more cases in Europe.
    Glad to know they we are in safe hands:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yes but that doesn't mean it's airborne. If someone sneezes or coughs on you from close proximity it would be considered direct contact.

For it to be considered airborne the virus would need to remain viable and travel a greater distance while suspended within an aerosol droplet or attached to a dust particle etc, which isn't the case.

I never said it was airborne, just that it is possible to be transmitted through a sneeze or a cough. Yes that would be considered direct contact, but the definition of that is being within 3 feet of an infected person. I think most people would presume direct contact means touching the person or them literally sneezing in your face if they didn't know any different.

It can remain viable suspended in an aerosol liquid for up to 90 mins.

I learned today that Hiccups were how the Doctors knew it was Ebola. Up till then the outbreak was believed to have been Lassa.
    It was this single symptom that helped them identify the disease.

Hiccups. Ye earn something knew every day :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Didn't hear it myself but weren't they supposed to have a professor that specializes in virology on as well?

What did he have to say about it? Does he believe the response has been inadequate so far, or that doctors aren't equipped to deal with it?

What exactly does Ciara Kelly want anyway.. for full fcuking lab-class hazmat suits and gear to be sent to every single doctor in the country? That yoke is more interested in talking shite in the Sindo and on Newstalk than she is about actual medicine.

WakeUp wrote: »
    thats unfair. people from the west and other places are heading out there to try and help these people, putting themselves and others at risk and in some cases losing their lives. the west is just expected to sort this out though doing that costs both money and lives. without our help west Africa is lost. without our help the continent of Africa may be lost. they cant sort this out on their own I dont know where you are getting your information from I wonder are you paying attention. I would consider myself liberal about a number of things and liberal thinking has its place though when the time comes , and it might come, when hard decisions need to be taken, the liberal mindset with regard to this outbreak would be best served just standing aside. because that mindset isnt hard wired nor capable of making the decisions that might need to be taken. and its has nothing to do with race or creed or whatever. without our help and expertise west Africa is phucked. and they know it.

Slight exaggeration perhaps?

I wonder how many people on this thread have contributed to the ebola appeals.

What hard decisions do you feel need to be made?

Jake1 wrote: »
    I learned today that Hiccups were how the Doctors knew it was Ebola. Up till then the outbreak was believed to have been Lassa.
    It was this single symptom that helped them identify the disease.

Hiccups. Ye earn something knew every day :p

Does a big fright cure it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I don't know about all of West Africa but Liberia is on the brink of collapse. It's spreading exponentially there, doubling every 3 to 4 weeks. There has been no reporting of new cases for a week. Somehow I doubt that is because the disease has suddenly stopped infecting people. As more people flee the into neighboring countries it is going to get worse. Here is what the deputy head of the UN has to say about it.
    WHO deputy head Bruce Aylward warned that the world's response was not keeping up with the disease in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

The three countries have appealed for more aid to help fight the disease.

The outbreak has killed more than 3,860 people, mainly in West Africa.

More than 200 health workers are among the victims.

Speaking on Thursday, Mr Aylward said the situation was worse than it was 12 days ago.

"The disease is entrenched in the capitals, 70% of the people affected are definitely dying from this disease, and it is accelerating in almost all of the settings," he said.

The medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) reported a sharp increase of Ebola cases in the Guinean capital, Conakry, dashing hopes that that the disease was being stabilised there.

Speaking to the BBC on Friday, MSF President Joanna Liu called for urgent international action.

"We're not winning the battle," she said.

"To get ahead of the game we're going to need to deploy much more massively than what we have done so far."

At least one in 20 of those killed in the latest outbreak were medical workers, she said.

Personally, I have donated to MSF and I hope others here would do the same. The problem belongs to all of us now, not just Africa.

not if the numbers keep going the way they are going it isnt an exaggeration. the who figure for infections is what 7 or 8 thousand something like that. triple that number is probably a more accurate figure. ebola is exponential that means as things stand the virus is winning and human beings are playing catch up. mother nature is the ultimate serial killer and ebola one of her most efficient cruelest tricks yet. whilst I agree with people not panicking and such if the professionals arent sure what is exactly going on how can ordinary people be so sure things are grand. the answer is they cant how could they. we still have time to bring this under control but that window is closing. and whilst there is still time to do this, with regard to hard decisions, Im not going there yet. though if the time comes I will.

not if the numbers keep going the way they are going it isnt an exaggeration. the who figure for infections is what 7 or 8 thousand something like that. triple that number is probably a more accurate figure. ebola is exponential that means as things stand the virus is winning and human beings are playing catch up. mother nature is the ultimate serial killer and ebola one of her most efficient cruelest tricks yet. whilst I agree with people not panicking and such if the professionals arent sure what is exactly going on how can ordinary people be so sure things are grand. the answer is they cant how could they. we still have time to bring this under control but that window is closing. and whilst there is still time to do this, with regard to hard decisions, Im not going there yet. though if the time comes I will.

You really don't like capital letters, do you?

You really don't like capital letters, do you?

do you like dags? and this is relevant to the discussion how. whats your point..

I donated to Irish Red Cross. People should do so, if you haven't already. Its not really a selfless act.

http://www.redcross.ie/fundraising/donate-now/

do you like dags? and this is relevant to the discussion how. whats your point..

You are not alone.
    http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt145691.html

I do like dogs. I own a Labrador.

• Advertisement

You are not alone.
    http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt145691.html

I do like dogs. I own a Labrador.

there was someone else on this thread a while ago fixated on my non-usage of the caps lock button so you are not alone either. a fear of capital letters the randomer on the blog says so with his frivolous topic:D Im sry it appears to bother you so much but thats your problem isnt it not mine. Im a cat person myself but I like dags too.

Advertisement