Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Ficheall wrote: »
    You mean apart from the 20 cases and 8 deaths?

Nigeria hasn't had a single new case in four or five weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Nigeria hasn't had a single new case in four or five weeks.

Yep.

Nigeria Has Successfully Contained Ebola, US Hopes To Learn From Their Response

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/09/nigeria-contains-ebola-outbreak_n_5959442.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Ebola virus has been around for a while now in Africa what I can't understand is how come it wasn't a crisis when it started infecting people in Africa in the 90's, it's only a crisis now that it's started to infect white western people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Ebola virus has been around for a while now in Africa what I can't understand is how come it wasn't a crisis when it started infecting people in Africa in the 90's, it's only a crisis now that it's started to infect white western people.

No, it's a crisis because it's spreading to a larger extent then it did in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

This English lives in Spain and writes Spanish news in English in an entertaining fashion.

This will explain to you how disastrously they're managing things here (and you'll feel very grateful you're from Ireland all of a sudden). Not feeling confident I'll be alive come Christmas....

https://www.thespainreport.com/11736/spains-chaotic-ebola-death-watch/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

This English lives in Spain and writes Spanish news in English in an entertaining fashion.

This will explain to you how disastrously they're managing things here (and you'll feel very grateful you're from Ireland all of a sudden). Not feeling confident I'll be alive come Christmas....

You'll be all right pet,yourself and himslf should move to Pontrevedra or somewhere nice like that-ye'll be fine....Christ what an overraction!!! an "epidemic" that is probably the outside the ten biggest killers in the 3 Countries suffering said epedemic

crockholm wrote: »
    You'll be all right pet,yourself and himslf should move to Pontrevedra or somewhere nice like that-ye'll be fine....Christ what an overraction!!! an "epidemic" that is probably the outside the ten biggest killers in the 3 Countries suffering said epedemic

You're very cranky tonight. Calm down.

And I also have no idea what you're talking about.

You're very cranky tonight. Calm down.

Sorry,meant to say ye'd be fine on the west coast-no crankiness:cool:-jealous of the temperatures in Spain tbh....mea culpa...

crockholm wrote: »
    Sorry,meant to say ye'd be fine on the west coast-no crankiness:cool:-jealous of the temperatures in Spain tbh....mea culpa...

Weather is a load of me hole in Madrid right now. I'm hoping the rain'll wash some of the ebola away maybe? <:-/

Weather is a load of me hole in Madrid right now. I'm hoping the rain'll wash some of the ebola away maybe? <:-/

An Irishwoman praying for rain?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Ebola was first discovered in 1976. Between then and 2013 there were 1716 cases of ebola. There have been over 8000 confirmed cases this year, with the actual number thought to be higher. That's why it's a crisis and has been since before any westerners were infected. It doesn't take much effort to read up on something before making assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bloody hell if it wasn't so serious you'd have to laugh. I suppose the economic situation in Spain has led to this shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Health care worker from Texas hospital reported to test positive for Ebola :(

P_1 wrote: »
    Bloody hell if it wasn't so serious you'd have to laugh. I suppose the economic situation in Spain has led to this shambles.

Exactly. That and the incompetence of the clowns in power now.

That's what you get for trying to privatise your healthcare, cutting salaries and staff and destroying any bit of staff moral that existed in an already stressful sector and basically leaving the system to rot. Fcuk you, Mariano Rajoy, fcuk you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

I like the writer's style! :D The situation seems to be very shoddily handled, though :(

Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy made a surprise 45 min visit to the Carlos III Hospital to demonstrate leadership in a crisis. He did not do the 15-minute Ebola protective suit training course, try on a suit with short sleeves or visit Mrs. Romero in her isolation room.

At first, journalists were prevented from even witnessing the brief institutional statement without questions that the prime minister was set to make, but were finally let in to record it for posterity. He did not offer any new information and accepted no questions.

“Bastards, useless cowards”, shouted the nurses watching the press conference, throwing surgical gloves at Mr. Rajoy as he was driven away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Gosh! How are these institutions failing so badly to protect their staff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone know how many health workers tested positive for Ebola in Liberia in the past week`:confused:

Gosh! How are these institutions failing so badly to protect their staff?

I'm 'hoping' that is was amount the workers that saw him on his first presentation to the hospital. At least then there's a chance there was only 1 mistake made and not multiple ones.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone know how many health workers tested positive for Ebola in Liberia in the past week`:confused:

I'm sure the WHO has some figures. Why are you confused?

• Advertisement

I'm sure the WHO has some figures. Why are you confused?
    Because health workers in Liberia do not make the news versus one in Texas

That is not the point. We know as intelligent humans that many many are infected, unfortunately. But the 'lie' we are sold is that this is as a result of poverty, ignorance, poor and unsanitary conditions. Etc. We are repeatedly being told that Ebola will be contained in the ''west'' because we are prepared, vigilant, equipped, alert, and educated.

Because health workers in Liberia do not make the news versus one in Texas

I have no idea why you find that confusing. There wouldn't be the newspaper pages to report each individual case. I find it confusing that you can't see why it's been reported. Feigned outrage to the west's disregard of the crisis in Africa maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Ebola was first discovered in 1976. Between then and 2013 there were 1716 cases of ebola. There have been over 8000 confirmed cases this year, with the actual number thought to be higher. That's why it's a crisis ...

There were an estimated 627 000 malaria deaths worldwide in 2012 (uncertainty interval, 473 000–789 000).
    Source: WHO

Ebola's got a long way to go before it's even close to being a real crisis. Jake1's question about mosquitoes is relevant - because if you're being bitten by mosquitoes, you've got worse things to worry about than Ebola.

I have no idea why you find that confusing. There wouldn't be the newspaper pages to report each individual case. I find it confusing that you can't see why it's been reported. Feigned outrage to the west's disregard of the crisis in Africa maybe?
    Or because a western human is worth more than an african human?
    http://mic.com/articles/100618/one-powerful-illustration-shows-exactly-what-s-wrong-with-media-coverage-of-ebola

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

There's worse things that can happen you than Ebola, at least it is relatively quick.
    So feck Ebola.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Vinnie L wrote: »
    There's worse things that can happen you than Ebola, at least it is relatively quick.
    So feck Ebola.

No,it's a fairly slow and agonising death.

I like the writer's style! :D The situation seems to be very shoddily handled, though :(

Can you actually get your head around just how badly it was handled? The media here are absolute scum of the earth as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

'But malaria kills X every year and the flu kills Y. Ebola has only killed a few thousand.'

Shut up, shut up, shut up!!

Malaria and the flu do kill huge numbers and it is regrettable. However, they do not knock off young and healthy people, the general mortality rate is low and medical treatments can be applied that significantly improve outcomes. Malaria is an unfortunate crises of the poverty of the developed world.

Ebola has a mortality rate presently of 50% and medical intervention is limited in scope and ineffective in terms of improving outcomes. It is also growing expotentially over an extended period for the first time.

I'm not saying it's time to crack each other's skulls open nor am I saying that third world lives are any less valuable than our own. But trite dismissals on the basis of other public health issues being in existence are irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,348 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Vinnie L wrote: »
    So feck Ebola.

I'd reckon ~10 days of worsening severe fever / vomiting / diarrhoea allied to a ~48 hour final phase of bleeding from every orifice is a pretty horrendous way to go, but that's just me.

Advertisement